Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Okay so 1,600 posts in and here is my summary:

1. This is somehow Bowman's, Jackson's, Hollands, Nurses and Perry's fault.
2. Doug Armstrong is a genius.
3. You can just trade Broberg and Holloway regardless of the CBA.
4. We should have locked Broberg and Holloway in a room against their will until they signed.
5. The cap doesn't exist.
6. Evander Kane can stay on LTIR forever.
7. Draft picks are useless.
8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?
Players should sign the lowest contract offered them at the first opportunity to do so.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Rebuilding teams should be doing it constantly . cap isn't an issue and what's a second round pick when you just saw broberg play like a top 4 dman in the playoffs

Cap is always an issue. Wasting it can prevent you from improving into the playoff team stratosphere just as easily as it can prevent you from true contention.

The Blues aren't even really rebuilding either they had 92 points last year and a locked in decent age core.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Actually in his case, he was lucky he signed that contract before Calgary realized what a bust they were getting.

It would've been a bigger disaster for him if he didn't sign that deal.
Huberdeau would have gotten 9.5M in Florida. He went to Calgary for 1M more.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

4. We should have locked Broberg and Holloway in a room against their will until they signed.
8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?

You forgot Campbell, Neal and Browns overrage. They are also to blame.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?

Well I count about 1500 posts you haven't liked yet.

Get to it. ;)

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It's just a good move all around by St.Louis and Broberg/Holloway to be honest.

I'm amazed this doesn't happen more. Mediocre teams with cap space taking chances on young players from cap strapped teams.

I do find it amusing that putting in Broberg into the playoffs would be such an absolute boon to the player. Really the same for Holloway. These are playoff contracts imo. Never would have been offered if they both were in the press box.

Even if they both fail horribly in St.Louis there's really no risk to St.Louis.. no term to hurt them.

Out of curiosity if we match can we trade them right away? Just thinking if another team wants that contract and may sweeten the draft pick pot in a pure asset management point.

Problem is this can very quickly throw off your cap structure and internal value.
What happens if PO Joseph and.or Perunovich outperform Broberg? You know they're going to demand similar or more money vs. player they outperformed on their own team.

It's a smaller but similar issue to what the Leafs ran into signing Tavares to 11mil: Sure it's not the worst deal in a vacuum, but Matthews and Marner outproduced him the next season and demanded similar money, because he set the benchmark.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Lol they are saying broberg camp was looking for around 1.8 a season 🤣🤣 so don't tell me broberg camp new a 4m dollar contract was coming so held out for it 🤣🤣🤣

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Cap is always an issue. Wasting it can prevent you from improving into the playoff team stratosphere just as easily as it can prevent you from true contention.

The Blues aren't even really rebuilding either they had 92 points last year and a locked in decent age core.
Rebuilding / retooling teams can take a 4 x 2 million dollar chance for a young dman with a good pedigree that has shown promise.

Obviously cuz they did it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

And a really strong prospect pool

Reactions: oXo Cube

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol they are saying broberg camp was looking for around 1.8 a season 🤣🤣 so don't tell me broberg camp new a 4m dollar contract was coming so held out for it 🤣🤣🤣

We don't have 1.8 to offer Broberg. They were hoping to get to September and basically force him to sign for like 1.2 kinda like what McLeod had to do a couple of years ago.

Too much wasted cap.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Rebuilding / retooling teams can take a 4 x 2 million dollar chance for a young dman with a good pedigree that has shown promise.

Obviously cuz they did it.

Just because they did it doesn't mean it isn't risky. If Broberg joins the Blues and plays like a #7 which is entirely possible this contract could potentially cost them multiple playoff berths.

Of course there is also potential upside which they deemed to be worth the gamble but that's what it is for them and why it doesn't happen all the time.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah, if that was the ask, it would have already been done. I'm not some GM-apologist at all, I hate the Bowman hire with every fiber of my being, both on the personal side, and on the hockey side. But if the asks were 1.8 and 1.2, they would have been done a long time ago.

Edit: I see that Friedman is reporting that those were indeed the asks. If that is true, this is a massive, MASSIVE, MASSIVE, mistake by Jackson/Bowman for not getting it done. Those are both exceedingly reasonable RFA asks, and should have been signed almost immediately. If its true, this is a "pack up your office offence" IMO. Both Jackson and Bowman would be fired if this was true and I was the owner. It's that bad.
No, those were the the Oilers offers of 1.8 and 1.2
Both players chose not to sign those

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?
After watching Vegas every year, you can't really fault us for thinking #6 might be true... Robidas Island is a real place. They should call themselves the Vegas Islanders.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We don't have 1.8 to offer Broberg. They were hoping to get to September and basically force him to sign for like 1.2 kinda like what McLeod had to do a couple of years ago.

Too much wasted cap.
Your allowed cap overage in the off season. They easily could of signed both players and dealt with the cap come training camp

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If you are negotiating with these players in this circumstance, and you are offering the 1.2 and 1.8 they were wanting, and they aren't signing the deal. You have to be smart enough to know something is up and trade them.

I don't know what happened, but its one of these 2 things:
1. They were trying to lowball on expectations of 1.2 or 1.8.
2. They gave the players what they wanted and the players didn't sign.

For #1, its bad mgmt, because those were eminently reasonable asks, and should have been signed the next day. I already explained why #2 is bad.

In either scenario this is a failing of mgmt. If the 1.8 and 1.2 rumor is real, and I owned the Oilers, neither Jackson nor Bowman would be employed today.
Just leave it at that, like the rest of us. Everything else is conjecture.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We were given the best player in the world (those who believe “bettmans NHL hates us” should think about this. If they truly did hate us, this would not have been allowed). We possess another who depending who you ask is easily one of the top 5 players in the world.
And
For the past nine seasons, instead of surrounding them with a 200 foot, three zone team. We’ve given them 5 head coaches
Bettman doesn't hate us. Bettman has a show to run and the Oilers are a big part of it. He has several narratives to simultaneously maintain including the fate of the Oilers and he possesses the unscrupulous aspiration to make as much money as possible for the Board of Governors. The players don't mind because Board of Governors hand out the money via the proxy of GMs. Bettman accomplishes this by selling the league. That's his job.

I don't like Bettman because I understand his concept of SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.

If the referee turns his back I'm going to hit you with a chair. I mean if the GM turns his back I'm going to hit you with two offer sheets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes this is it
My bad

In a normal year 1.8 ask from Broberg would've probably been settled around a 1.5-1.6 signing where both sides compromise.

Holloway probably 1.3 or 1.4 or something like that.

We just didn't have the cap space to make that work and gambled and lost. Is what it is. Lesson of the story is to not f*** around with your cap management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad