Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your allowed cap overage in the off season. They easily could of signed both players and dealt with the cap come training camp

"deal with the cap" how? That just pushes the time to have to do something down the line, it doesn't change that you have to make trades.

They banked on being able to push the contracts to like September where they could force Broberg and Holloway to basically take 1.1 mill-ish deals like McLeod was forced to a couple of years ago. It back fired.

You shouldn't put your team in that spot to begin with, while Brown did help the team in the playoffs, the $3.2 mill dead cap hit he incurred from last year basically cost us two 1st round picks.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
If you don't care about wasted cap then you have no business being angry when that lack of cap space blows up in your face.

Enough the "dur hur how could they take the money", this will happen any time you have unestablished players who haven't made big money in the league. Even $200-300k extra is a lot of money for people in that situation, that amount of money can make a huge difference in a person's life/the life of family members. The can pay off a family member's mortgage or debt. People need to just get over that.

This is a cold hard lesson for this front office to get their shit together, especially with how they manage their cap. The way Holland was running shit was unacceptable.
So the “cold hard lesson” here is you better manage the cap properly so you can be in the position to offer players who haven’t even played close to a full season about 3 times what they are worth?

You’re asking for prudence in contract decisions while rallying against a perfect example of what you’re asking for.

$4.5M for Broberg at this point in his career is so ridiculous that I would be shocked if Broberg’s agent didn’t immediately accept it before the Blues could reconsider.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What? Playing top 4 on a bad team and putting up good defensive metrics would mean you would put up better metrics with a good team. I have no clue what you are saying there.
Just because he's a top 4 on a bad team doesn't mean he's a top 4 on a good team.
Nurse was a #1 on a bad team for a few years, that doesn't make him a #1. There's plenty of examples of players that got big minutes on a bad team but were then over their head playing those minutes on a good team. Nurse being a prime example of this.

If Stecher and Ceci are your only top 4 options, you're not a Cup contender unless a lot of stuff bounces your way.
The Oilers were depending on growth from Broberg to fill that top 4 void. No guarantees with that of course but we know what Ceci and Stecher are, and that's bottom pairing Dmen on a contending team.

Broberg still had plenty of runway left for growth so this is a blow to the team, not a fatal one but it's an issue losing him. I'm sure they'll try something to upgrade the D by the deadline but in the here and now, it's not good enough.
People can shit on Broberg all they want on the way out "he wasn't that good anyway" etc. etc. but this is a loss for the organization.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's been here for weeks and he has one job. He's clearly been "around" things so get to f***ing work already.

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for this, get to f***ing work.
You do know that the Blues were allowed to talk to their agents right?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You ever notice Friedman always says this shit after the fact and nobody actually ever really believes it 100%.

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization, or have been paid to do so.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So the “cold hard lesson” here is you better manage the cap properly so you can be in the position to offer players who haven’t even played close to a full season about 3 times what they are worth?

You’re asking for prudence in contract decisions while rallying against a perfect example of what you’re asking for.

$4.5M for Broberg at this point in his career is so ridiculous that I would be shocked if Broberg’s agent didn’t immediately accept it before the Blues could reconsider.

The cold hard lesson is you can't have this much bad cap management.

Really if you look at most of the top teams like Florida, Colorado, etc. there's not a lot of dead cap or massive overpayments on their roster. There are situations like Landeskog but that's workable because he's on LTIR basically the entire season.

It's a cold slap in the face to the org, to be honest. They basically have nothing to show for like years of 1st round picks now and they sorta made this bed for themselves, will require some soul searching on their part as to how they got here.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Problem is this can very quickly throw off your cap structure and internal value.
What happens if PO Joseph and.or Perunovich outperform Broberg? You know they're going to demand similar or more money vs. player they outperformed on their own team.

It's a smaller but similar issue to what the Leafs ran into signing Tavares to 11mil: Sure it's not the worst deal in a vacuum, but Matthews and Marner outproduced him the next season and demanded similar money, because he set the benchmark.
Exactly!

This is why I don't think it is a such a genius move by Armstrong that the media is going on about. Both Perunovich and Joseph are RFA's next year with arbitration rights. From the Blues perspective they would be looking to hopefully sign those young players to reasonable contracts consistent with their experience/performance just like we were hoping to do with Broberg & Holloway. Now Armstrong better be praying that Broberg plays at or above the $4.58 mil that he offered him and he needs to do it in the 1st year and not just by the end of the 2nd year. If not this could have huge implications to his own cap structure when he looks to sign both Perunovich and Joseph. They will be able to use Broberg's contract as a basis and if they outperform him, it could totally back fire in Armstong's face.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
In all fairness i no this moght nkt be a popular opinion but inwould let both wal as soon as they signed the offer sheets. All we been hearing all summer is how the big guns want to take less to stay and these guys sign these offers
???

I mean mot signing them yet presemting them to the oilers could work as anrgining chip in there favor, were as signing these deals litterally puts a gun to the organizations head and forces there hand. Not a good look on the player. I see it as a me first move.

But hey thats just me and my opinion....

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The weirdest thing about this whole situation is how many fans 180'd on these two players (especially Broberg) to get to the pitchforks. I swear I was a bigger fan of these players than most of the fans ready to riot over losing them.
At least I’ve stayed consistent in my dislike for them.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The cold hard lesson is you can't have this much bad cap management.

Really if you look at most of the top teams like Florida, Colorado, etc. there's not a lot of dead cap or massive overpayments on their roster. There are situations like Landeskog but that's workable because he's on LTIR basically the entire season.

It's a cold slap in the face to the org, to be honest. They basically have nothing to show for like years of 1st round picks now and they sorta made this bed for themselves, will require some soul searching on their part as to how they got here.
You also have some significant cost effective contracts in your core group of players, which is something you seem to ignore outright.

You’re still fixated the idea that Broberg agreeing to a contract at about 3 times his value is somehow indicative of poor management on the Oilers part.

It isn’t. At all. The two aren’t related, no matter how much you want them to be.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Exactly!

This is why I don't think it is a such a genius move by Armstrong that the media is going on about. Both Perunovich and Joseph are RFA's next year with arbitration rights. From the Blues perspective they would be looking to hopefully sign those young players to reasonable contracts consistent with their experience/performance just like we were hoping to do with Broberg & Holloway. Now Armstrong better be praying that Broberg plays at or above the $4.58 mil that he offered him and he needs to do it in the 1st year and not just by the end of the 2nd year. If not this could have huge implications to his own cap structure when he looks to sign both Perunovich and Joseph. They will be able to use Broberg's contract as a basis and if they outperform him, it could totally back fire in Armstong's face.

Armstrong is an overrated bum that has mismanaged the Blues for the better part of 15 years but got lucky with the Berube interim year.

The media are slobbering over him because it’s the Oilers

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
People act like losing Broberg is the worst. No bad is the injury to klef, sekura injury needing a buyout and losing Larson.

Compared to that this is unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Broberg may become good like a klef type player decent but not elite or he can become a Jeff finger mistake.

They offer sucka but they aren't worth the money. Take the picks and move on

Yamo, and pul made me care less about what Holloway may be as a loss. If to isn't a deal let the player go. We already overpaid those two and lost picks to get rid of them. I don't want to get into that again over Holloway

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You also have some significant cost effective contracts in your core group of players, which is something you seem to ignore outright.

You’re still fixated the idea that Broberg agreeing to a contract at about 3 times his value is somehow indicative of poor management on the Oilers part.

It isn’t. At all. The two aren’t related, no matter how much you want them to be.

It's completely related, his camp was asking for 1.8, we would have signed him to like 1.6 a month ago.

The reason we didn't do that is because we're in a massive cap crunch. Because of being in that situation we gambled with pushing these contracts into September with the intention of forcing both Holloway and Broberg to basically accept the amount that would have been available, which essentially would have been 1.1 mill and like 1.4 mill for the both of them.

We did a similar thing to McLeod two years ago.

It blew up in our face this time.

To say it's not related at all is disingenuous. If we didn't have all this dead cap both likely would be signed a month ago, Broberg for 1.6 or thereabouts, Holloway for about the same.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Exactly!

Armstrong will be long gone when that happens. Which might be why there will no revenge

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, those were the the Oilers offers of 1.8 and 1.2
Both players chose not to sign those
That just means they may have been choosing arbitration thinking that they might get a better deal.
Nothing wrong with that.

They didnt make it to arbitration but their strategy of waiting worked better than they could have imagined.

OilfaninTO

Aug 1, 2020
Do you think there’s a legitimate possibility that the other GMs in the league are colluding (for lack of a better word) against the Oilers because of the Bowman hiring? Offer sheets happen but this feels more vindictive to me and there’s rumours that they won’t make any deals to help the Oilers cap situation unless it’s a massive overpayment. Why on earth did we hire that Dbag as GM?

Reactions: foshizzle

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It's completely related, his camp was asking for 1.8, we would have signed him to like 1.6 a month ago.

The reason we didn't do that is because we're in a massive cap crunch. Because of being in that situation we gambled with pushing these contracts into September with the intention of forcing both Holloway and Broberg to basically accept the amount that would have been available, which essentially would have been 1.1 mill and like 1.4 mill for the both of them.

We did a similar thing to McLeod two years ago.

It blew up in our face this time.

To say it's not related at all is disingenuous. If we didn't have all this dead cap both likely would be signed a month ago, Broberg for 1.6 or thereabouts, Holloway for about the same.
The fact that Broberg just signed an offer sheet for $4.5M absolutely blows this theory out of the water.

You’re honestly just making up scenarios to justify your outrage.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The fact that Broberg just signed an offer sheet for $4.5M absolutely blows this theory out of the water.

You’re honestly just making up scenarios to justify your outrage.

No one would have known an offer sheet that large was coming a month ago.

In July they could have wrapped this up for a lot less.

The fact of the matter is it's stupid to defend dumb cap management. As a basic principal, you shouldn't have almost 7 million in dead cap in a contending window and you shouldn't be paying Darnell Nurse one of the highest salaries in the NHL. A good team in a contending window should know better.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Do you think there’s a legitimate possibility that the other GMs in the league are colluding (for lack of a better word) against the Oilers because of the Bowman hiring? Offer sheets happen but this feels more vindictive to me and there’s rumours that they won’t make any deals to help the Oilers cap situation unless it’s a massive overpayment. Why on earth did we hire that Dbag as GM?
It's a harsh reality but i'm pretty sure that no other NHL execs give a dam about Beach, what happened to him and how it was handled. They have their own things to worry about and Bowman dropping the ball on the investigation probably doesn't cross their minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad