Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
After reading up on him, I am excited. Is Progner a reach in comparison? I read in the link posted earlier they compared him to Burns.
If you spelled it right, then no it's not a reach.

Not who I'd have takem, not that that has any bearing

He's a fine pick, seems like the Sens scouts of past type

Really hope we bring in some fresh blood in the scouting room, don't want to run it back with the guys we have

Jumps to the top of our pool by a large margin
Who was your guy here, Buium?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Explains why the Sens might have moved down with the Flyers because there'd have been a good chance he'd still be available at 12.

Not my pick but I've not seen anyone but Celebrini play and just basing my opinion on what other's have said.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the opposite and they wouldn't move down (if given the opportunity) because he was still available.

There is never a guarantee this high in the draft that teams can move down and still get their guy, even if that guy is higher than consensus.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
One thing I'm also interested in is what role do they see for him on the Senators? He's obviously got a ton of skill, but those hands + size combo could make him an elite puck retriever in the defensive zone as well. His skillset might compliment Chabot and Sanderson really well, in a lot of ways he makes up for certain areas that they're lacking in (both are great skaters, excellent at breaking the puck out, good vision, but weak shots and lack strength and toughness).

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Pronman has him ranked #3 for the whole draft and Grant McCagg is very high on him (explains that the WHL was tough this year). Not sure what to make of those two things. Will Scouch has him ranked 35!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Really hope we bring in some fresh blood in the scouting room, don't want to run it back with the guys we have

He was among the guys I was ok with going on, but there were a couple of have really preferred that I didn't expect to still be available so I'm a bit disappointed.

That said, there's a lot to like in the player, very raw so lots of room for growth I guess.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Seriously. Has there been any real changes in on our scouting team other than Mann leaving and the Boyd promotion. It’s time for something new. 2020 was four years ago.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
His skating is absolutely not great. It's a problem.

He's fine once he gets going but his footwork is bad. He's not very athletic and his agility is not good.

If you want to see why I think his offense won't translate feel free to look through my post history. Have been making that point for awhile now, just hope to god I'm wrong now that he's a Senator.
I'm not going to argue that his overall skating is elite but there are aspects of his game that benefit from his skating, his feet can keep up with his hands in various situations for example, driving down low for one, cutting to the net, he can straddle the blue line, he can work his feet in a way that get his shoulders square for his big, accurate shot. There are positives.

There aren't a lot of big defensemen that are 'ready made' great skaters that come out of jr. but there are a lot that develop that skill at a later stage to a very passable level. See Brent Burns as someone that Yak has been compared to.

Considering the base of talent he is working with and that his feet have good signs to build from I'm confident that skating will not be a perpetual concern with him.

Skating is a very fixable trait when lacking out of jr and it's almost expected to be sub par for a big guy like Yakemchuk. No concern here at all.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
One thing I'm also interested in is what role do they see for him on the Senators? He's obviously got a ton of skill, but those hands + size combo could make him an elite puck retriever in the defensive zone as well. His skillset might compliment Chabot and Sanderson really well, in a lot of ways he makes up for certain areas that they're lacking in (both are great skaters, excellent at breaking the puck out, good vision, but weak shots and lack strength and toughness).
How much have you watched him.
He played on a weak team and just played offense at every opportunity.. His defensive zone is not very good. Sure he is big and rough but puck retrieval and puck movement as in making plays out of the defensive zone is not a strength. He isn't complimenting Chabot or Sanderson.
One of the criticisms is that he was allowed to just roam with impunity because he was such a big part of the team's offense... He is 2 weeks from being eligible in last years draft..

1st part is drafting.. next part is developing. He will need strong coaching in his continued development and it would be a mistake to plug him in the NHL soon.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yakemchuk has almost everything the team needs, he checks a lot of boxes,
- he's big
- he's tough
- he's a right hand shot
- he's hard to play against
- he clears the front of the net
- he has very high compete level
- he has a pro shot & is an elite goal scorer
- he has elite offensive skills
- he needs to improve defensively

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Pronman has him ranked #3 for the whole draft and Grant McCagg is very high on him (explains that the WHL was tough this year). Not sure what to make of those two things. Will Scouch has him ranked 35!
To be fair, I like Scouch's videos, but I don't trust his draft rankings at all. The guy absolutely has a type.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
There's risk with this pick, but the tools are amazing. I don't think you can say this isn't an attempt at a homerun. Maybe too much risk for some at #7. I'm fine with it.

I still feel like we need another blue chip forward to add to Stutzle/Tkachuk. I think we're a little narrow up front. Hopefully we address that later.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
How much have you watched him.
He played on a weak team and just played offense at every opportunity.. His defensive zone is not very good. Sure he is big and rough but puck retrieval and puck movement as in making plays out of the defensive zone is not a strength. He isn't complimenting Chabot or Sanderson.
One of the criticisms is that he was allowed to just roam with impunity because he was such a big part of the team's offense... He is 2 weeks from being eligible in last years draft..

1st part is drafting.. next part is developing. He will need strong coaching in his continued development and it would be a mistake to plug him in the NHL soon.
I don't think I ever said he's NHL ready? Where did you even get that from?

I'm not talking about putting Calgary Hitmen Yakemchuk on the Sens next to Chabot. I'm speaking to his skillset and the tools in his game. He was leaned upon heavily to carry the load offensively for Calgary on the blueline. That obviously isn't going to be his role on the Senators. He's not being drafted to be our #1 dman. I'm curious to see what direction the team sees for him because I think a lot of the tools he possesses can compliment Chabot and Sanderson extremely well if he is developed a certain way.

Reactions: LiseL and KapG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad