Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
So we picked a powerfoward shoot right, with an edge, who can fight ,loves to deke a lot ,has great hand and backhander , has great shot for junior hockey, below average skater and low IQ but he plays as a defenseman. Didn't know that most valued skill for defenseman is having great shot and offensive instinct. Nobody here was willing to pick Parkeh who is way better offensively (offense is not just goals) the only thing our guy is better at is his 6"3 and can hit/fight sometimes.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So we picked a powerfoward shoot right, with an edge, who can fight ,loves to deke a lot ,has great hand and backhander , has great shot for junior hockey, below average skater and low IQ but he plays as a defenseman. Didn't know that most valued skill for defenseman is having great shot and offensive instinct. Nobody here was willing to pick Parkeh who is way better offensively (offense is not just goals) the only thing our guy is better at is his 6"3 and can hit/fight sometimes.
Teams value physical attributes very highly, this isn't a new thing.

Parekh played on a stacked team while Yakemchuk was on a pretty bad team. Be careful with assuming Parekh is "way better offensively", especially because you always have to consider how that offense will translate to the NHL. Yakemchuk's hands and shot are universal, they will help him at any level of hockey. Will Parekh's edge work be as successful at the NHL level when guys will be able to shove him over with one hand? Not sure.

I also think Yakemchuk has better straight line speed than Parekh. Parekh's lack of speed will be a way bigger detriment than it will be to Yakemchuk because he's so undersized. From what I've read is Yakemchuk is still getting used to his size, and because of that his skating has room to improve.

Reactions: LiseL and Blotto71

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
After taking some time to calm down and reviewing more scouting reports, I feel less upset about the pick.

The potential is evident, and he might have the highest ceiling of any prospect. With proper coaching and development, he could be a home run. Also feel he has the highest bust potential after Parekh.

Comparing him to Boucher is unfair. This guy can consistently score and has been ranked in the top 10-12 all year, unlike Boucher.

If he hits then it’s a 6’3 RHD that is mean as f***, physical, and can dangle the blue line like Karlsson while shooting bombs like Weber.

If he misses then it’s a Hamonic with dangles.
Prime Hamonic was a beast with the NYI, add dangles and that's a great player...

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
From first glance, I hope he has the mind to go along with those hands and physicality.

I think as a right handed defensemen with his size and shooting ability, his floor is pretty high with an unreal ceiling too.

I hate to be that guy, and I almost never say this, but those dangles in juniors are absolutely not going to work against pro players.

I see some Dahlin in him, anyone else? Minus the smooth skating. The snarl and hands are there, let’s hope he puts it together.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Parekh played on the Memorial Cup winning Saginaw Spirit team. Saginaw had nine NHL drafted players on that team. ( London had 10). So Parekhs offensive numbers are probably a bit inflated seeing as he was surrounded by an extremely talented team.
Yakemchuk played on a lowly Calgary team.

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Finding a responsible veteran left hand shot defensemen is much easier to find than a dynamic offensive right hand defensemen.

You know what else you can’t teach?

- size
- shooting ability
- competitiveness
- physicality

He has all those traits as well.

Things to work on that can sometimes be taught:

- defence
- skating

Things to work on that cannot be taught IMO

- IQ and decision making

IQ is the difference between a Darnell Nurse who can shoot, skate, and hit and Cale Makar.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Teams value physical attributes very highly, this isn't a new thing.

Parekh played on a stacked team while Yakemchuk was on a pretty bad team. Be careful with assuming Parekh is "way better offensively", especially because you always have to consider how that offense will translate to the NHL. Yakemchuk's hands and shot are universal, they will help him at any level of hockey. Will Parekh's edge work be as successful at the NHL level when guys will be able to shove him over with one hand? Not sure.

I also think Yakemchuk has better straight line speed than Parekh. Parekh's lack of speed will be a way bigger detriment than it will be to Yakemchuk because he's so undersized. From what I've read is Yakemchuk is still getting used to his size, and because of that his skating has room to improve.
I understand what you're saying but you can read this both way. Carter had every offensive opportunity as his team was pretty bad offensively and needed him to produce offense . This for sure helped him to develop his offensive game and rack up a lot of points. The thing is Parekh was the maestro even with a good team why? Cause he just elite ( at his position or even in his team) at creating plays 5vs5 or on the PP. If you have the puck on a good team means you're really good since you're probably the best option when there is a lot of good option. Am not saying Carter has no offensive skill for sure he has great offensive tools, but I would say his skill set is better on a winger then a defenseman . As for Parekh he has the brain , playmaking, edges, elusiveness to perform at the NHL as offensive defenseman cause both guys that we are discussing are not stellar defensively by any means.

Reactions: DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Both Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien were drafted as d men and had power forward traits. Both transitioned to playing powerforwards at the NHL level temporarily before eventually being moved back to defense. Both were high impact d men when they hit their prime and some of the most unique and highly coveted players in the league.

Yakemchuk could very much end up as a Burns/Byfuglien type of player if all things work out well. If the Sens think he has that kind of upside and think they can set him on the right development path to attain it then he is well worth the pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Both Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien were drafted as d men and had power forward traits. Both transitioned to playing powerforwards at the NHL level temporarily before eventually being moved back to defense. Both were high impact d men when they hit their prime and some of the most unique and highly coveted players in the league.

Yakemchuk could very much end up as a Burns/Byfuglien type of player if all things work out well. If the Sens think he has that kind of upside and think they can set him on the right development path to attain it then he is well worth the pick.
Burns was drafted as a winger, Byfuglien was drafted as a D though he wqas seen as a utility guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad