Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I like the pick. I thought we'd go Dickenson or Buium but I trust Staios' judgement as a former Dman himself. Yakemchuk is actually petty well rounded: great hands and shot. physical and gritty, won't back down to anyone. He'll probably play a risky game as a dman and hopefully that gets reigned in. But his cannons from the point are going to be fun to watch.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Finding a responsible veteran left hand shot defensemen is much easier to find than a dynamic offensive right hand defensemen.

You know what else you can’t teach?

- size
- shooting ability
- competitiveness
- physicality

He has all those traits as well.

Things to work on that can sometimes be taught:

- defence
- skating

Things to work on that cannot be taught IMO

- IQ and decision making

IQ is the difference between a Darnell Nurse who can shoot, skate, and hit and Cale Makar.

I think Nurse is a very realistic comparison here. But a touch more toughness than Nurse.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Burns was drafted as a winger, Byfuglien was drafted as a D though he wqas seen as a utility guy
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if Burns was drafted as a d man or forward so when I looked it up one website had him listed as a d so I assumed that was the case.

I am not sure if there is a good comparable for Yakemchuk with regards to a d man with these kinds of tools being drafted this high (maybe Shea Weber?). But we have seen what players like Burns and Byfuglien became in their prime and Yakemchuk has some of the tools to be developed into something similar if everything goes right.

It would have been nice to know how the Sens ranked the d prospects in the first round of this draft. It would also be nice to know what other teams rankings were considering that most teams leaned towards forwards early on and some of the d that were rumored or expected to go early fell a bit.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After all the talk of the top 6 best defencemen with Levshunov being ranked as the best of them before today was that he was falling & Buium was rising yet in the end Yakemchuk who was rated the 6th best D gets taken second after Levshunov. Seems like it was all smoke & no flame.

Last edited:

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if Burns was drafted as a d man or forward so when I looked it up one website had him listed as a d so I assumed that was the case.

I am not sure if there is a good comparable for Yakemchuk with regards to a d man with these kinds of tools being drafted this high (maybe Shea Weber?). But we have seen what players like Burns and Byfuglien became in their prime and Yakemchuk has some of the tools to be developed into something similar if everything goes right.

It would have been nice to know how the Sens ranked the d prospects in the first round of this draft. It would also be nice to know what other teams rankings were considering that most teams leaned towards forwards early on and some of the d that were rumored or expected to go early fell a bit.
This article compared Yakemchuk to Alex Pietrangelo.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Both of these guys were not top 10 picks and we're not the player they were at their prime in just a 2-3 years. It's more about if you're drafting for needs why you pick a project type of guy and I think our biggest need anyways in a RHD, is High IQ and defensive play before even size/physical play anyways and probably not offense with Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun ( for now).
Am not even mad about selection since this guy will not help the team win now anyways for 3-4 years , it's more about bad decisions this team seems to have at draft table/trade draft capital these years since Brady was drafted ( 2020 draft was hard to miss /do bad ) on top of having bad luck at lottery.
I hope they take the time to develop and polish this guy games since he is our guy now and he will probably be the last bluechip prospect we will draft for the next 2-3 years , if they don't miss playoff and go for a retool .

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We took Sandy ahead of where he was expected to go and that worked out.

Having Staois as GM is reassuring somewhat with this pick.

At the e d of the day, big mean RHD that can shot the pill and the only D this century to a score 30 in the WHL.

I was not expecting this pick, but I can get excited about it.

Reactions: Arogie and Ice-Tray

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I like the pick. I thought we'd go Dickenson or Buium but I trust Staios' judgement as a former Dman himself. Yakemchuk is actually petty well rounded: great hands and shot. physical and gritty, won't back down to anyone. He'll probably play a risky game as a dman and hopefully that gets reigned in. But his cannons from the point are going to be fun to watch.
It is worth noting that both Dickenson and Buium played on teams that had quite a large number of drafted NHL prospects. People can assess their skill set individually but prospects certainly look better when they are surrounded with NHL caliber prospects.

Yakemchuk had something like one guy on his team that had been drafted and the team that drafted him didn't even sign him to an ELC.

There could be important flaws in Dickenson's or Buium's game that are less readily apparent because of the talent that they are surrounded with or the talent they are surrounded with could give the impression that their offensive upside is higher than it actually is. At the same time Yakemchuk's flaws might seem more significant than they really are because he is forced to compensate for the lack of talent around him.

It is worth considering how Dickenson or Buium or any other d than fans on here wanted to drafted would have looked on Yakemchuk's team and how he would have looked on their team if they switched places.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It is worth noting that both Dickenson and Buium played on teams that had quite a large number of drafted NHL prospects. People can assess their skill set individually but prospects certainly look better when they are surrounded with NHL caliber prospects.

Yakemchuk had something like one guy on his team that had been drafted and the team that drafted him didn't even sign him to an ELC.

There could be important flaws in Dickenson's or Buium's game that are less readily apparent because of the talent that they are surrounded with or the talent they are surrounded with could give the impression that their offensive upside is higher than it actually is. At the same time Yakemchuk's flaws might seem more significant than they really are because he is forced to compensate for the lack of talent around him.

It is worth considering how Dickenson or Buium or any other d than fans on here wanted to drafted would have looked on Yakemchuk's team and how he would have looked on their team if they switched places.
good point. Parekh, Dickenson, and Buium all played on powerhouse teams. Yakemchuk was essentially a one man show.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
We took Sandy ahead of where he was expected to go and that worked out.

Having Staois as GM is reassuring somewhat with this pick.

At the e d of the day, big mean RHD that can shot the pill and the only D this century to a score 30 in the WHL.

I was not expecting this pick, but I can get excited about it.
I thought we drafted Sanderson right around where he was expected to go. I know he was a big riser over the course of his draft year and was considered closer to a late first in many mid term rankings but I think he ended up solidly in the top ten in most final rankings.

Sanderson seemed to be pretty clearly the best d in the draft but many fans were excited about the flashiness of Drysdale and preferred him. Reputable scouts seemed to rave about how good of a d prospect Sanderson was.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Not my pick but not a bad pick if it works out.

The mean edge to his play is an aspect I really like.
2nd that emotion! It's certainly not a bad pick. Didn't want a dumb stretch pick, as in we're so much smarter than everybody else in the room. I admit that the pick was not what I was expecting given so many top ranked D remained on the board. That said, I am coming around. We can talk left D vs right, offensive verses defensive player, but the one thing we are sorely lacking on our D (/most of team) is plain ole nasty (not dirty). By all accounts it sounds like he has a solid dose of mean streak, toughness, compete, intensity. Maturity and coaching will need to see him focus that, not translate into too much time in the sin bin. He will have to learn to limit his Yak-Attack (patent pending) to keep PIMs down. Welcome to Ottawa, land of many Chuks Carter!

Why am I hearing Mars Attacks martians? (Yak-Yak... Yak-Yak) Let the fun begin!

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Some comparisons other than the Pietrangelo comparison by hockey analysts were Valimaki, Bouchard, Severson.
Hopefully Yakemchuk will play for Team Canada at the World Juniors in Ottawa this year.... Which I will be attending and I have always wanted to go see them in person.
I also attended the Memorial Cup Championship game in Saginaw Michigan.

Last edited:
Reactions: guyzeur

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Evan Bouchard with a little less offence and more physicality?
To be fair, I think part of Bouchard's offence comes from the fact he plays on a PP unit with McDavid and Draisaitl. Their threat down low opens up the point for him. Granted he has a fairly accurate shot from the point.

I think Yakemchuk could offer something similar.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Steve Staois was an NHL defenceman, who better to assess the defencemen in this draft that him? How many NHL GMS are former NHL defencemen? How many people who do all these ranking sites & videos are former NHL defencemen? I think having played the position at the highest level of the sport in the best hockey league in the world might know a thing or two about playing defence in the NHL.

Reactions: LiseL and albator71

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Steve Staois was an NHL defenceman, who better to assess the defencemen in this draft that him? How many NHL GMS are former NHL defencemen? How many people who do all these ranking sites & videos are former NHL defencemen? I think having played the position at the highest level of the sport in the best hockey league in the world might know a thing or two about playing defence in the NHL.
That’s fine, but Staios is being supported by a scouting team that has a terrible track record these last three years.

That stuff about Cole Beaudoin is concerning. Us drafting him in the 12-15 range would have been Boucher-esque.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
"Character" is the term you use when you have nothing great to say about the player's hockey skills.

“He’s the silkiest guy I’ve seen,” said Berkly Catton, another projected first-round pick in 2024. “He almost plays like a smaller guy, but he is a big guy. He’s always a threat, especially in the offensive zone.”

Seems like a pretty nice thing to say about a player’s hockey skill, and when you marry it with a guy who plays a mean old timey game it sounds like something that could very valuable to a team.

Not my guy but he’s has some high end talent and is an interesting mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That’s fine, but Staios is being supported by a scouting team that has a terrible track record these last three years.

That stuff about Cole Beaudoin is concerning. Us drafting him in the 12-15 range would have been Boucher-esque.
Who knows if that stuff about Beaudoin is true? Then why didn't they fire that staff when they took over or let them know they were going to gt rid of them & they should find other jobs? People on here seem to think there is plenty of information out there about prospects to think they know who should be picked. There is no use on coming to any conclusion today, at least give the kid a chance on the biggest night of his life.

Staois made a great deal for Ullmark & as I said is a former NHL defenceman, I think he knows how to assess an NHL defenceman better than anyone on here or posting on X.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I wanted Zadina over Brady Tkachuk a few years ago and I am sure I was not the only one on here that wanted Zadina.
Even the Great Senovision with my untramelled sight can be wrong.;)
Bonus points for anyone who knows what movie i am quoting the " untramelled sight" quote.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Panthers just won the cup and only 3 of it's player were drafted by the team Barkov, Ekblad and Lundell so yeah drafting is important but its not the be all and end all that some hockey fans make it to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad