Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
Didn’t look too excited.
Probably hoped to be picked by his Hometown team Calgary.

A need for sure.c but the need for a quality RD is for this coming season already.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
After reading up on him, I am excited. Is Progner a reach in comparison? I read in the link posted earlier they compared him to Burns.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Would have preferred any of the other high ranked defensemen above him. I don't think he's a bad prospect by any stretch - he has some high end tools - but I think he's the worst of the five defensemen we should have been considering at that spot.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
People criticizing this and not excited simply didn't do their homework. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: KapG

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think a lot of the fans need to get out of the mindset of "draft a player that was ranked higher than where he was taken = good pick. Draft a player that was ranked lower than where he was taken = bad pick".

He's an exciting pick. Some red flags in his game, but I'd like to see how those flaws look when he's on a better team, Calgary wasn't very good this year, and that never helps a defenseman look good.

He's also an excellent fit because he fills a lot of needs for this team. Ottawa's lacking on the right side on defense, and they are also lacking a true shooting threat on the blueline (or will be with Chychrun likely being moved), and they're lacking size + physicality on defense. Yakemchuk fits all the needs there. He needs to work on his decision making, but no prospect in the draft doesn't need improvement in certain areas. I think guys like Parekh and Buium would have a tough time finding a spot on the blueline seeing as they'd be behind Sanderson and Chabot on the left side. Yakemchuk has a clear path to the top 4.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'll go on the record saying I dont like this pick.

Prove Me Wrong, God, ya bitch!!!!

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
There's a bit of Phaneuf in his game.

I think if he makes it it'll be more as a two-way D. Offense isn't going to translate that well so he'll need to.
He handles the puck like a forward and his skating in offensive situations is great (shifty enough, decent edges, deceptive, good first step etc...).

What makes you think it won't translate?

Reactions: guyzeur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- 6'3" right shot with a mean streak are coveted in the NHL & he has elite offensive skills
- his compete level is off the charts, they will have to reel him back, like Tkachuk
- Sanderson is great defensively & Yachemchuk is great offensively, could be a great tandem
- Yakemchuk won't stand idly by if someone goes after Sanderson, I bet he will defend him
- Yakemchuk, Ostapchuck. & Tkachuk, what are the chances they re-sign Kachouk, GESUNDHEIT!
- maybe they'll ask Phillips to wortk with him this summer

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nice , I was hoping for Yakemchuk, but like I said several times , I would be happy with anyone this year, with no real consensus.

as can be seen how the draft is unfolding,

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He handles the puck like a forward and his skating in offensive situations is great (shifty enough, decent edges, deceptive, good first step etc...).

What makes you think it won't translate?

His skating is absolutely not great. It's a problem.

He's fine once he gets going but his footwork is bad. He's not very athletic and his agility is not good.

If you want to see why I think his offense won't translate feel free to look through my post history. Have been making that point for awhile now, just hope to god I'm wrong now that he's a Senator.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Better players were available.

Not at all a fan of this pick. He has talent, size, right shot, and has natural nasty... so what's not to like.
His skating is an issue and his defensive play and decision making are issues. He is one of the oldest players in the draft. Now people will say skating can be fixed, Defense can be taught etc. we'll see. I think there were better players available at 7 with not so much to improve

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not who I'd have takem, not that that has any bearing

He's a fine pick, seems like the Sens scouts of past type

Really hope we bring in some fresh blood in the scouting room, don't want to run it back with the guys we have

Jumps to the top of our pool by a large margin

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
People criticizing this and not excited simply didn't do their homework. It's as simple as that.

Nah, it's not that. I've watched a bunch of his games. The more I watched him, the lower he got on my list.

He's not a *bad* pick. He's not some huge reach. But there's boom *and* bust potential here, and at seven, that's scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad