Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The Hab's judgement has absolutely nothing to do with it their hands were always going to be tied.
People thinking we could just buy this kid out of Russia it takes two to tango.
I can see SKA getting a kick out of putting sticks into the wheels of our legendary franchise...
The f***s.
Maybe their judgement that led them to drafting him, knowing how this season would play out?

Practicing and playing (even if ~10:00/g) with the best in Russia is a step up from last season. Then they get their mitts on him when he’s still only 19.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maybe their judgement that led them to drafting him, knowing how this season would play out?

Practicing and playing (even if ~10:00/g) with the best in Russia is a step up from last season. Then they get their mitts on him when he’s still only 19.
I'm assuming everything they showed us relating to the draft was above board and they were never not going to draft him if he was available.
Anything else is afterthought. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm assuming everything they showed us relating to the draft was above board and they were never not going to draft him if he was available.
Anything else is afterthought. Cross that bridge when you get there.
Yeah, they’re sitting back, sipping their tea, without a worry about his development. They already knew all about the environment - it was priced into his value at the draft … might not have fallen to us without it.

Meanwhile, here, we’re pulling our hair out.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Under

I mean I care that our most important prospect gets ice time in a critical development year. Especially since he lost time in the previous two seasons.
Won’t make a huge difference in the long run. Athletic success is determined mostly by talent and natural ability, which will not disappear in seven months.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Pressure tactics that won't work and probably nothing was ever going to sway his decision.
It's quite amusing reading Rotenberg's translated interviews where he says he's commited to winning, but he trades away the u20 who don't want to extend.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Won’t make a huge difference in the long run. Athletic success is determined mostly by talent and natural ability, which will not disappear in seven months.

Most hockey players talk about the key being confidence. Of course you have to work hard and some people are born with certain skills that help them over others but there are so many factors and variables that go into this vs just being born with it imo.

Do you think Caufield would be the same player if Dom was still the coach?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

There are certain stages where development happens at quicker intervals - not actually playing hockey and getting repetitions in game situations is still a negative drain on that fertile period.

It's not going to break him because he's special but it's not ideal either and can either delay him reaching his potential or shave off part of his ceiling.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Free avatar :welcome:

1000008587.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good example to show we have nothing to worry about.

If CC can thrive after a season with Dom, Demi can do the same following a season with Rotenberg.

especially when Demidov is an 18 year old that barely played above the MHL last year and just got back on the ice a few weeks ago after being out for the ankle/knee injury from the playoffs. So right now it's just about him working on physical things imo.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If the lack of ice time continues for the next few games, the habs should pressure ska to trade Demidov to Sochi
It's still really early. It's not like he's not experiencing anything new. Let's see how he faces adversity and lack of ice time for the first time in his career. If he comes to NHL, he's not going to get 1st line minutes right away, it's likely Slafkovsky treatment. This will show us whether he has the ability to start from bottom and work his way up.

I don't think he was ever going to produce as much with SKA. But it doesn't mean he's not getting more accustomed to pro game where he isn't automatically the#1 guy.

Now if he gets the bench and plays this much the entire year, then I'll have a problem. This early in the season? Not that surprised.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
It's still really early. It's not like he's not experiencing anything new. Let's see how he faces adversity and lack of ice time for the first time in his career. If he comes to NHL, he's not going to get 1st line minutes right away, it's likely Slafkovsky treatment. This will show us whether he has the ability to start from bottom and work his way up.

I don't think he was ever going to produce as much with SKA. But it doesn't mean he's not getting more accustomed to pro game where he isn't automatically the#1 guy.

Now if he gets the bench and plays this much the entire year, then I'll have a problem. This early in the season? Not that surprised.
How do you want him to produce, when he's on the fourth line with minimal ice time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I feel for the Russians in a way. It is their talent after all. However, many Russian hockey players became millionaires by playing NHL.

This is pretty standard protocol. Michkov went through it and so did Romanov in some ways. Russians are trying to protect their talent as much as they can but they can't compete with NHL salaries.

It's just sad that Demdiov has to suffer from the politics. He's caught in the middle of it. I'm sure they will sort it out and get him in a good spot. If I was the Habs, I'd offer to buy out the contract. We have $10M of unused cap space with Price and I believe insurance is paying it.

Not ideal for his development but not worried about it. If he has the talent we know he has, it's not going to disappear.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Good example to show we have nothing to worry about.

If CC can thrive after a season with Dom, Demi can do the same following a season with Rotenberg.
The difference being CC got plenty of prime ice time under Dom to start the season he just was not very good.
But yeah his confidence got shot fairly quickly and it definitely wasn't going to come back they way things were going.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Demidov's ice time was fine once they got down. He also started playing with better talent (Gritsyuk).
The coach would never have done it otherwise. That and the fact that it was the other bottom line that got scored against.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
KHL website has a lots of stats. Demidov pass success rate is 91.11% so far. The highest among all the SKA forwards (some dmen do a bit better).

I'm surprised that Gritsyuk only plays 15m per game.

Demidov's ice time was fine once they got down. He also started playing with better talent (Gritsyuk).
The coach would never have done it otherwise. That and the fact that it was the other bottom line that got scored against.
Kinda confirms Roten knows Demidov is one of his better forwards, but "politics" decide lines and TOI instead of talent.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
KHL website has a lots of stats. Demidov pass success rate is 91.11% so far. The highest among all the SKA forwards (some dmen do a bit better).

I'm surprised that Gritsyuk only plays 15m per game.

Kinda confirms Roten knows Demidov is one of his better forwards, but "politics" decide lines and TOI instead of talent.

Gritsyuk receives 3rd most ice time among wingers. Nikishin leads the defense. Both are not extending either.

The reality is Roma is an incompetent nepotist with an odd fetish for experienced players. "Trust the system!":laugh:
He values his own principals over common sense, and will fall off a cliff with them.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I feel for the Russians in a way. It is their talent after all. However, many Russian hockey players became millionaires by playing NHL.

This is pretty standard protocol. Michkov went through it and so did Romanov in some ways. Russians are trying to protect their talent as much as they can but they can't compete with NHL salaries.

It's just sad that Demdiov has to suffer from the politics. He's caught in the middle of it. I'm sure they will sort it out and get him in a good spot. If I was the Habs, I'd offer to buy out the contract. We have $10M of unused cap space with Price and I believe insurance is paying it.

Not ideal for his development but not worried about it. If he has the talent we know he has, it's not going to disappear.

Why the stereotype? This is a SKA situation, not a "Russian" one. Lots of young players are getting great ice time in the KHL. In fact there exists coaches who are very NHL friendly in KHL, especially ex-NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad