Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I definitely think scouting staffs either overcomplicate things or just simply don't pick the right archetype of prospects. I don't really understand the point of drafting players with low ceiling but high probibility of becoming an NHLer, it seems like those are the type of players that most teams just end up getting through free agency anyway. For CSB I think it has gotten better especially since more games are being broadcasted and in better camera quality over the years so their more recent stuff is probably more accurate. I really like EPrinkside's lists.
It depends on where in the draft they're taken. If it's late in the second round, then a likely, though unspectacular, NHLer can be the right move.

Taking a guy like that in the first round doesn't make much sense, unless the team thinks there's actually more potential there.

Strategic drafting probably pulls more players into their consensus placement than they should. The guy a team would have taken early doesn't seem to have the juice, so they try to get them with a later pick.

LordStanlersCup

Sep 6, 2024
It depends on where in the draft they're taken. If it's late in the second round, then a likely, though unspectacular, NHLer can be the right move.

Taking a guy like that in the first round doesn't make much sense, unless the team thinks there's actually more potential there.

Strategic drafting probably pulls more players into their consensus placement than they should. The guy a team would have taken early doesn't seem to have the juice, so they try to get them with a later pick.
Idk the fact that players like Luke Misa and Justin Poirer can make it to the 5th round without being drafted feels kinda crazy to me. There are usually like 5 or so projected 1st round players that make it to the 2nd and then like 10 projected 2nd rounders that make it to the 3rd and it looking back on these players they are hits a decent amount of the time with Point being one of them.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
*talks about useless players on PTO

*suggests Groshev on the top line

Lmao
i suggested giving him a chance. even sheary looked good at times playing with point and kuch so i think it makes sense that we should let some of our top prospects play with them and see if they can handle it.

but you are probably right that we should keep doing what we did with verhaeghe and marchessault and just play these guys on the 4th line because there’s no way any of our prospects are good.

• Haha
Reactions: Renopucker

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Idk the fact that players like Luke Misa and Justin Poirer can make it to the 5th round without being drafted feels kinda crazy to me. There are usually like 5 or so projected 1st round players that make it to the 2nd and then like 10 projected 2nd rounders that make it to the 3rd and it looking back on these players they are hits a decent amount of the time with Point being one of them.
I'll admit I'm being a bit of a handful right now.

There are a million factors that go into how the draft actually plays out. Every team has their list, their perspectives on players, draft strategy, character, injury status, eventual development, the existence of overagers and re-entries, etc.

I'm more so focused on the consensus in the first two-ish rounds for 'safe' picks, relative to their spot, as opposed to being the chaos team picking the 136th ranked European player early in the second round. Stuff like that. Wild swings make sense later in the draft, but why not earlier?

Reactions: LordStanlersCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad