Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
3rd year in a row first round exit probably unless JBB adds two forwards at the deadline
Or at least one of Atkinson or Sheary does what they are with the team to do and provide depth scoring in the top 9. I'm sure they'll promote a player if needed as well, and they'll look at acquiring likely one F for the top 9 at the deadline or near it. Nothing about the roster indicates another 1st round exit, but by now I shouldn't expect much different of an opinion or outlook from 80% of posters on the Tampa boards.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We need to somehow make sure that we finish 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic with Boston and we've got a free pass to the second round. Against Florida we lose 9 times out of 10. Against Toronto probably 6 or 7 times.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
We need to somehow make sure that we finish 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic with Boston and we've got a free pass to the second round. Against Florida we lose 9 times out ofT 10. Against Toronto probably 6 or 7 times.
I'd take Tampa's defense and goaltending most likely over Toronto. At the moment, I'd give them a small edge at F, but if not for Vasy simply having likely his worstb5 or 6 game stretch in perhaps his career, Tampa beats them both times. Florida is the only team in the Atlantiv entering the season I'd put as solid favorites over Tampa as of now, and who knows how they do with the cup hangover.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Toronto will be interesting under Berube. I still feel like they need one of their stars to be a little more "win-or-die," but Berube might actually instill a culture change. To me, that's always been the thing holding them back. But it starts with their stars always trying to play like stars, which basically just means a perimeter player in the playoffs.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It kinda pisses me off that he is still there to at least get a shot on the Bolts. He can't be ANY worse than any other 3rd or 4th line player. He certainly has the pedigree over a lot of our other options. JMO.
From what I remember last year, Vancouver gave him a chance in training camp and he had trouble keeping up with the AHL guys skating wise. Or so I'm told.

I'd love to give Phil the thrill a shot but his legs might be done.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
always exciting coming here to see which useless player that no team in the league wants is gonna save us

Reactions: DFC

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It kinda pisses me off that he is still there to at least get a shot on the Bolts. He can't be ANY worse than any other 3rd or 4th line player. He certainly has the pedigree over a lot of our other options. JMO.
Hey I’d bring kessel in for a PTO if he suck then don’t sign him

LordStanlersCup

Sep 6, 2024
Looking at who could make the roster out of camp:

Projected Lineup Roughly

Guenztel-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Cirelli-Atkinson
Sheary-Paul-Eyssimont
Girgensons-Glendenning-Blank

Hedman-Raddysh
McDonagh-Cernak
Moser-Perbix

Healthy Scratches: Blank(Forward), blank(Defenseman)

Cap Space for those 3 spots: $3,175,000

3 spots available (2 F, 1 D)

Players contending for spots:

(PTO)Brown (No contract)- Waivers eligible. 26 years old, due to his age and experience he is more likely to make the team but he was also injured all of last year so he might have to have a better camp than otherwise if he wants to start in the NHL.

Chaffee (800k one way)- Waivers eligible. 26 years old, on a one way contract which could be viewed as they are less likely to waive him because they don't want to pay someone in the minors 800k or could be viewed as more likely to waive him because he would be less likely to be claimed on a one way contract. He has NHL experience at this point so he has the inside track to getting a roster spot.

Crozier (867.5 two way)- Still waivers exempt for next 2 seasons or 60 NHL games played and he has played 16. 24 years old, has to compete with Lilleberg for the 7th D spot and it is unlikely that the Lightning have 2 healthy scratch D-men so he will need to have a good camp to make the team.

Geekie (866.6k + 525k bonus two way)- Still waivers exempt for next 3 seasons or 160 NHL games played. 20 years old, would likely need to be the best player battling for a spot in camp by a lot to make the team due to his age and only having played 2 pro games but it has been done before somewhat recently by Sergachev and Point. He had a great Prospect Showcase.

Goncalves (775k two way)- Waivers eligible. 23 years old, make or break year for Goncalves where if he doesn't have a good camp could end up on waivers in a similar situation to Sokolov last year, or he could be claimed like Denisenko was.

Groshev (867.5k two way)- Still waivers exempt for next 2 seasons or 70 NHL games played. 22 years old, had a great prospect showcase and camp last year but didn't make the team. At the time I thought it was because they wanted to give him a season on North American ice to let him adjust but then they proceeded to give him little to no ice time the entire year so not sure what to make of this situation. If he makes the team this year it will only be because he is a year older. He had another great Prospect Showcase this year.

Lilleberg (870k two way, extension next year 800k 2 years on a one way)- Still waivers exempt for next 2 seasons or 70 NHL games played and he has played 42. 23 years old, very likely to make the team out of camp and is really only battling Crozier for a spot, it helps that he already has an extension signed as well.

Ylonen (775k two way)- Waivers eligible. 24 years old(almost 25), he has NHL experience and would have to have a good camp to make the team but not necessarily great, similar to Merela last year.

Who I want to make the team: Groshev, Geekie, Lilleberg
Who I think will make the team: Chaffee, Ylonen, Lilleberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad