Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The MHL is a bad league the same way the QMJHL is a bad league, but unlike the Q which is trending down, the MHL was trending up since the CHL important draft blocked taking Russians (until 2024 where they reverted that because everyone in hockey seems to think the Ukraine/Russia war isn't a think anymore, but I don't know if any was taken).

Just the fact that in MHL playoffs (better teams are there), Demidov play against teams who can compete against best teams in OHL.

MHL have divisions that some great teams are there and really bad teams (more easy to put points), but if we focus on Demidov against great teams, he play really really well aswell.

My point it's Michkov stats and Demidov stats in their 15-16 old seasons in MHL, are close. So when top prospects like them are considering #2 best pure talent in their respective draft, we can see MHL close to USHL, because the stats they are putting in MHL, are close to stats of top prospects like Jack Hughes in USHL at 16 years and 17 years old.

Reactions: morhilane

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The MHL is a bad league the same way the QMJHL is a bad league, but unlike the Q which is trending down, the MHL was trending up since the CHL important draft blocked taking Russians (until 2024 where they reverted that because everyone in hockey seems to think the Ukraine/Russia war isn't a think anymore, but I don't know if any was taken).

The CHL is unarguably a better league than the MHL. The Q is the weakest league in the CHL but it is very likely better than the MHL as the MHL loses many of it's top prospects to the CHL and USHL as well as the VHL.

Leaving Demidov in the MHL was a scumbag move by SKA but I think he will fine, especially if he joins SKA and they actually play him or if they allow him to go to NA as they did with Michkov.

Reactions: Vachon23

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
CHL better than MHL sure

But I'll never believe the Junior league of a hockey crazy province of 9 million is better than the Junior league of a Hockey crazy Country of 150 Million. No

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
One thing for sure, MHL is more closer to USHL than BCHL. MHL is a better league than BCHL.

The top teams in MHL can compete against the best OHL teams. Easy.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
CHL better than MHL sure

But I'll never believe the Junior league of a hockey crazy province of 9 million is better than the Junior league of a Hockey crazy Country of 150 Million. No
Lots of the good players in the CHL aren't even from the province they're playing in. In fact there's plenty of highly ranked Europeans. There are a lot of different league options for young Russian players, which is why there are very very few highly drafted players out of the MHL. Alot of the really good ones end up playing barely any minutes for a KHL team. I do think the MHL is fine as a league though and not a massive gap from the OHL or WHL.

Sometimes half or more of the 1st round will be from the CHL and this year 9 from the OHL alone. There are also plenty of very good CHLers stuck playing there until they're 19 or 20 because of stupid hockey Canada rules that keep them out of the AHL.

I think Demidov would have destroyed the CHL last season and challenged for 1st overall. Especially if he was able to play international tournaments, which is where a lot of the best Russian prospects have been able to make their case in the past.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Lots of the good players in the CHL aren't even from the province they're playing in. In fact there's plenty of highly ranked Europeans. There are a lot of different league options for young Russian players, which is why there are very very few highly drafted players out of the MHL. Alot of the really good ones end up playing barely any minutes for a KHL team.

Sometimes half or more of the 1st round will be from the CHL and this year 9 from the OHL alone. There are also plenty of very good CHLers stuck playing there until they're 19 or 20 because of stupid hockey Canada rules that keep them out of the AHL.
And that's all fine and everything, good point

Still think 'Russian Hockey' is being criminally underrated rn because of 'Reasons'.

Reactions: the

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017

Still think 'Russian Hockey' is being criminally underrated rn because of 'Reasons'.
Yeah the leagues are quite deep. Alot of guys Demidov played against this past year and went undrafted will be very good NHLers down the line, maybe even stars, but have zero hype right now.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I’d rather Demidov be in the CHL learning the North American game and adjusting to the long schedule and lifestyle then stuck in a second tier league that still thinks it can compete with the NHL. I don’t think it’s going to kill a player this talented but it is a bit of a bum deal that we don’t have control over a prospect taken 5th overall for at least a year during a primitive development year. This was a talking point with Michkov last year as well although there’s differences in each situation. It just seems like the KHL is becoming more of an annoyance that certain teams don’t want to deal with when it comes to prospects.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

I’d rather Demidov be in the CHL learning the North American game and adjusting to the long schedule and lifestyle then stuck in a second tier league that still thinks it can compete with the NHL. I don’t think it’s going to kill a player this talented but it is a bit of a bum deal that we don’t have control over a prospect taken 5th overall for at least a year during a primitive development year. This was a talking point with Michkov last year as well although there’s differences in each situation. It just seems like the KHL is becoming more of an annoyance that certain teams don’t want to deal with when it comes to prospects.

He’s too good to be playing against kids.

Demidov is a smart guy. He’s taking this year to grow in a comfortable setting while playing/practicing against men, albeit KHL or VHL.
Then off to the NHL next season.

My only worry is joker Rotenberg.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It was obvious from early on that Demidov was going to get "punished" by SKA when it became clear of his intentions to play in the NHL as soon as his contract was up. SO, the NHL team that drafted him knew this going in. It might even be a reason why he was even available at five.

Another season in the MHL or a loan-out to the VHL was always going to be the outcome here. SKA never intended to sign Kuznetsov to play with Demidov. But it may have been with the intention to drop Demidov further down their depth chart.

The kid has to buy out his own contract if he really wants to come to NA, so it is unlikely. He would probably be in Laval anyway, so it probably does not make financial sense for him. Does a season in the VHL hurt his chances of being ready for Montreal in 2025-26? Maybe. But I think the Canadiens (now) know how to handle young players, so I don't think it (where he plays this season) will ultimately be a big deal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It was obvious from early on that Demidov was going to get "punished" by SKA when it became clear of his intentions to play in the NHL as soon as his contract was up. SO, the NHL team that drafted him knew this going in. It might even be a reason why he was even available at five.

Another season in the MHL or a loan-out to the VHL was always going to be the outcome here. SKA never intended to sign Kuznetsov to play with Demidov. But it may have been with the intention to drop Demidov further down their depth chart.

The kid has to buy out his own contract if he really wants to come to NA, so it is unlikely. He would probably be in Laval anyway, so it probably does not make financial sense for him. Does a season in the VHL hurt his chances of being ready for Montreal in 2025-26? Maybe. But I think the Canadiens (now) know how to handle young players, so I don't think it (where he plays this season) will ultimately be a big deal.
Feel exactly the same way, Verbatim
Good post

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

What happened to the wonderful conversation between Hughes and Rotenberg and the development of Demidov? It just seemed like a couple weeks ago where it looked promising for the KHL.

I just don't understand the political BS of SKA with players of the ilk of Michkov and Demidov. It makes no sense. Why wouldn't you want these types on your roster?

It's so annoying.

Reactions: Gustave

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
What happened to the wonderful conversation between Hughes and Rotenberg and the development of Demidov? It just seemed like a couple weeks ago where it looked promising for the KHL.

I just don't understand the political BS of SKA with players of the ilk of Michkov and Demidov. It makes no sense. Why wouldn't you want these types on your roster?

It's so annoying.
SKA coach and brass take issue with having young players who are being developed for the NHL

Kind of a “if I can’t have you, nobody can” mentality

It sucks

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Overreactions galore in this thread. You guys have no idea how the depth chart will play out in the KHL this year but you're assuming you do.

You think Demidov is gonna come out in an interview and say 'I'm gonna play in the top 6 in the KHL'? Even if he's been told otherwise he's gonna stay humble and tell the media absolutely nothing obviously.

The truth is I'm sure he doesn't know yet, it will have to play out in preseason and their training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00