Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ummm 🤔

Only Stat that shows why we are 3-0 this year.

The team that won the Jennings trophy last year has started the season with a 0.67 goals against after 3 wins with 1 shutout and 2 one goal game against.

2 goals against after 3 games.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ummm 🤔

Only Stat that shows why we are 3-0 this year.

The team that won the Jennings trophy last year has started the season with a 0.67 goals against after 3 wins with 1 shutout and 2 one goal game against.

2 goals against after 3 games.
That'll happen when you have the best goalie on the planet

People talk about it like it's a bad thing because it's not how they think we should win

"Top line HAS to win it's matchups", they'll say

Reactions: Dirtbag151

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
So all 3 coaches that have coached the team all defer to Scheifele to run the team? This includes the coach who just won the cup in Florida who had to manage some pretty big egos to get it done. This conspiracy theory is more plausible to you than a coach wanting Ehlers to drive the 2nd line for example?
Not much of a conspiracy theory honestly. You're talking about the only coach I've ever heard of who resigned mid-season. The reason given was that he couldn't reach the room.

Hard to lump any other coaches in. Bones retired as scheduled and idk if your 3rd is Noel or Arniel but neither seems relevant to the conversation as Scheif definitely didn't have any say in the locker room when Clod was here and Arniel has been coach for 3 games now.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I actually see both sides of this argument.

I see why Buffdog, myself and others still like the 1st line with 81 and 55 despite what the advanced stats say.
I also see the argument that it's not shitting on Bambi and KFC to want to have them playing on seperate lines to see if we can get a bit better offensive balance and maybe have 2 lines that give up a little less.

At the end of the day, I accept that those 2 will play together, for whatever reason. They have obvious offensive chemistry so at least part of their game works to the Jets benefit.

The one thing that does baffle me is what happened to Mark Scheifele? Obviously I still love the guy but do you remember when he was a 200 foot player? What switch went off in his head that turned him into a guy who give 50% effort defensively? I think it might be too much ice time to be fair, but you deffo don't want a disgruntled Brighteyes loafing around the ice.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So all 3 coaches that have coached the team all defer to Scheifele to run the team? This includes the coach who just won the cup in Florida who had to manage some pretty big egos to get it done. This conspiracy theory is more plausible to you than a coach wanting Ehlers to drive the 2nd line for example?
i dont know about all 3, but i know one of the Jets media guys, either edmonds or wiebe said on 1290 in the 2019 season (i believe it was this year, since they went off-air shortly after) that scheifele and wheeler chose who they play with. i was surprised they admitted this on air when 1290, and those 2 notably go out their way to carry water & protect the Jets/tnse.

honestly wouldn't think it's different anymore that he chooses who he plays with.

connor-scheifele will likely player together from here on out. last season, this team was driven by the middle-6 to carry the bill at 5v5. maybe it's different this year who knows we're at game-3. so far,
1st line: -2
2nd line: 0
3rd: +3
4th: +1

alternative to your "ehlers only driving 2nd line", the Jets rated better as a top-6 overall in net goal differential when ehlers was on the the top line. if the opposite was true i could buy into that argument a bit more. & from an individual standpoint - connor had his best season primarily away from scheifele.

ie: middle-6 driving the Jets while the top line is around a marginal
maybe this is a plausible strategy? idk. maybe someone can show some other quality PO/successful teams that run a similar marginal top line :dunno:
1729088022703.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I actually see both sides of this argument.

I see why Buffdog, myself and others still like the 1st line with 81 and 55 despite what the advanced stats say.
I also see the argument that it's not shitting on Bambi and KFC to want to have them playing on seperate lines to see if we can get a bit better offensive balance and maybe have 2 lines that give up a little less.

At the end of the day, I accept that those 2 will play together, for whatever reason. They have obvious offensive chemistry so at least part of their game works to the Jets benefit.

The one thing that does baffle me is what happened to Mark Scheifele? Obviously I still love the guy but do you remember when he was a 200 foot player? What switch went off in his head that turned him into a guy who give 50% effort defensively? I think it might be too much ice time to be fair, but you deffo don't want a disgruntled Brighteyes loafing around the ice.
The narrative that schief is bad defensively is largely based on his xGF%

Yes, he accrued 62.46 xGA last season in 74 games. But Crosby ( who I don't think anyone would accuse of being bad defensively) had 61.77 xGA. The difference is that Crosby had 76.13 xGF to Schiefele's 53.15 xGF

So yes, if you want to improve his xGF% then he should reduce chances... but that's only one side of the equation. The real gap is the fact that he should be producing more offence at 5v5

It's not news that inmates run the asylum here.
Pretty much everywhere. Look at Edmonton and tell me that McDavid doesn't run the show there

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The narrative that schief is bad defensively is largely based on his xGF%

Yes, he accrued 62.46 xGA last season in 74 games. But Crosby ( who I don't think anyone would accuse of being bad defensively) had 61.77 xGA. The difference is that Crosby had 76.13 xGF to Schiefele's 53.15 xGF

So yes, if you want to improve his xGF% then he should reduce chances... but that's only one side of the equation. The real gap is the fact that he should be producing more offence at 5v5

Pretty much everywhere. Look at Edmonton and tell me that McDavid doesn't run the show there

Additionally, the way Scheifele and Connor produce offence is not by volume. They cycle the puck and look for high quality opportunities. It is debatable that the arbitrary value that is given to expected goals actually equals producing offence. There’s a reason why the way Adam Lowry produces offence results in more xG than the way Kyle Connor does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad