Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ummm 🤔

Only Stat that shows why we are 3-0 this year.

The team that won the Jennings trophy last year has started the season with a 0.67 goals against after 3 wins with 1 shutout and 2 one goal game against.

2 goals against after 3 games.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ummm 🤔

Only Stat that shows why we are 3-0 this year.

The team that won the Jennings trophy last year has started the season with a 0.67 goals against after 3 wins with 1 shutout and 2 one goal game against.

2 goals against after 3 games.
That'll happen when you have the best goalie on the planet

People talk about it like it's a bad thing because it's not how they think we should win

"Top line HAS to win it's matchups", they'll say

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
So all 3 coaches that have coached the team all defer to Scheifele to run the team? This includes the coach who just won the cup in Florida who had to manage some pretty big egos to get it done. This conspiracy theory is more plausible to you than a coach wanting Ehlers to drive the 2nd line for example?
Not much of a conspiracy theory honestly. You're talking about the only coach I've ever heard of who resigned mid-season. The reason given was that he couldn't reach the room.

Hard to lump any other coaches in. Bones retired as scheduled and idk if your 3rd is Noel or Arniel but neither seems relevant to the conversation as Scheif definitely didn't have any say in the locker room when Clod was here and Arniel has been coach for 3 games now.

Reactions: Jack7222

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I actually see both sides of this argument.

I see why Buffdog, myself and others still like the 1st line with 81 and 55 despite what the advanced stats say.
I also see the argument that it's not shitting on Bambi and KFC to want to have them playing on seperate lines to see if we can get a bit better offensive balance and maybe have 2 lines that give up a little less.

At the end of the day, I accept that those 2 will play together, for whatever reason. They have obvious offensive chemistry so at least part of their game works to the Jets benefit.

The one thing that does baffle me is what happened to Mark Scheifele? Obviously I still love the guy but do you remember when he was a 200 foot player? What switch went off in his head that turned him into a guy who give 50% effort defensively? I think it might be too much ice time to be fair, but you deffo don't want a disgruntled Brighteyes loafing around the ice.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So all 3 coaches that have coached the team all defer to Scheifele to run the team? This includes the coach who just won the cup in Florida who had to manage some pretty big egos to get it done. This conspiracy theory is more plausible to you than a coach wanting Ehlers to drive the 2nd line for example?
i dont know about all 3, but i know one of the Jets media guys, either edmonds or wiebe said on 1290 in the 2019 season (i believe it was this year, since they went off-air shortly after) that scheifele and wheeler chose who they play with. i was surprised they admitted this on air when 1290, and those 2 notably go out their way to carry water & protect the Jets/tnse.

honestly wouldn't think it's different anymore that he chooses who he plays with.

connor-scheifele will likely player together from here on out. last season, this team was driven by the middle-6 to carry the bill at 5v5. maybe it's different this year who knows we're at game-3. so far,
1st line: -2
2nd line: 0
3rd: +3
4th: +1

alternative to your "ehlers only driving 2nd line", the Jets rated better as a top-6 overall in net goal differential when ehlers was on the the top line. if the opposite was true i could buy into that argument a bit more. & from an individual standpoint - connor had his best season primarily away from scheifele.

ie: middle-6 driving the Jets while the top line is around a marginal (other than 1 month)
maybe this is a plausible strategy? idk. maybe someone can show some other quality PO/successful teams that run a similar marginal top line :dunno:
1729088022703.png

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I actually see both sides of this argument.

I see why Buffdog, myself and others still like the 1st line with 81 and 55 despite what the advanced stats say.
I also see the argument that it's not shitting on Bambi and KFC to want to have them playing on seperate lines to see if we can get a bit better offensive balance and maybe have 2 lines that give up a little less.

At the end of the day, I accept that those 2 will play together, for whatever reason. They have obvious offensive chemistry so at least part of their game works to the Jets benefit.

The one thing that does baffle me is what happened to Mark Scheifele? Obviously I still love the guy but do you remember when he was a 200 foot player? What switch went off in his head that turned him into a guy who give 50% effort defensively? I think it might be too much ice time to be fair, but you deffo don't want a disgruntled Brighteyes loafing around the ice.
The narrative that schief is bad defensively is largely based on his xGF%

Yes, he accrued 62.46 xGA last season in 74 games. But Crosby ( who I don't think anyone would accuse of being bad defensively) had 61.77 xGA. The difference is that Crosby had 76.13 xGF to Schiefele's 53.15 xGF

So yes, if you want to improve his xGF% then he should reduce chances... but that's only one side of the equation. The real gap is the fact that he should be producing more offence at 5v5

It's not news that inmates run the asylum here.
Pretty much everywhere. Look at Edmonton and tell me that McDavid doesn't run the show there

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The narrative that schief is bad defensively is largely based on his xGF%

Yes, he accrued 62.46 xGA last season in 74 games. But Crosby ( who I don't think anyone would accuse of being bad defensively) had 61.77 xGA. The difference is that Crosby had 76.13 xGF to Schiefele's 53.15 xGF

So yes, if you want to improve his xGF% then he should reduce chances... but that's only one side of the equation. The real gap is the fact that he should be producing more offence at 5v5

Pretty much everywhere. Look at Edmonton and tell me that McDavid doesn't run the show there

Additionally, the way Scheifele and Connor produce offence is not by volume. They cycle the puck and look for high quality opportunities. It is debatable that the arbitrary value that is given to expected goals actually equals producing offence. There’s a reason why the way Adam Lowry produces offence results in more xG than the way Kyle Connor does.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You keep saying the 1st line is working so poorly when they virtually won us the last 2 games and we are 3-0. And if you go look at the advanced stats the 1st line is miles ahead of the 2nd line by any measure possible so far this season.

At 5v5?

Really? You are going to talk about the last 2 games after 6 years of same old, same old?
Not to mention that it was Helle who won those last 2 games.

Comparing to the ENP line is setting the bar pretty low.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
At 5v5?

Really? You are going to talk about the last 2 games after 6 years of same old, same old?
Not to mention that it was Helle who won those last 2 games.

Comparing to the ENP line is setting the bar pretty low.
LOL it was not HELLY who won those last 2 games. Both those teams got very good efforts from their goalies as well.

I'm growing really weary of the whole our team is shit without Hellebuyck nonsense.

If the other teams goalies would have been mid we would have won both of them by several goals in regulation.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
LOL it was not HELLY who won those last 2 games. Both those teams got very good efforts from their goalies as well.

I'm growing really weary of the whole our team is shit without Hellebuyck nonsense.

If the other teams goalies would have been mid we would have won both of them by several goals in regulation.

Fair enough.
Goalies at both ends played well. The real point was that our scoring lines are still not scoring at 5v5.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't think moving Ehlers to the 1st line and trying to play in 20+ minutes a night is magically going to make us a better team. Ehlers is frustratingly good to watch but I haven't seen him put up a long stretch where he is in that top 30 player in the league type,

Put it this way, If we lost Ehlers for a long stretch of time we are probably going to be ok but if we lose Schief I think we are in trouble.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think some of the nuance is being lost in these discussions. The argument that Helley is stealing us games is more to show that our skaters weren't good enough. Helley is a part of the team and it's great we can rely on him (mostly) for locking it down and helping us win. Every team wishes they could have a goalie like him. He is a big part of our team success and we cannot discount this.

However, having your best skaters (who play the most minutes) lose their matchups is not a recipe for success... We have seen this the last several playoffs.

Our best skaters also showed up when it counted and got us our 3 wins, which was fantastic. Again, this is not your typical recipe for success and we should not be expecting to win in this fashion over an extended period of time.

We should be striving to have strong 5v5 play, which is the primary driver of success in the NHL.

All this being said, those games were highly entertaining and I'm not too worried.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think some of the nuance is being lost in these discussions. The argument that Helley is stealing us games is more to show that our skaters weren't good enough. Helley is a part of the team and it's great we can rely on him (mostly) for locking it down and helping us win. Every team wishes they could have a goalie like him. He is a big part of our team success and we cannot discount this.

However, having your best skaters (who play the most minutes) lose their matchups is not a recipe for success... We have seen this the last several playoffs.

Our best skaters also showed up when it counted and got us our 3 wins, which was fantastic. Again, this is not your typical recipe for success and we should not be expecting to win in this fashion over an extended period of time.

We should be striving to have strong 5v5 play, which is the primary driver of success in the NHL.

All this being said, those games were highly entertaining and I'm not too worried.
There are a lot of assumptions here

First, it wasn't just our skaters that let us down in the past two playoffs. Helle was way off his regular season form. Had he stood on his head and we were outshot 48-18 and lost 1-0, I'd agree. But that wasn't even close to the case

As for best prediction of success... are you sure it's 5v5 play and not save percentage?

At the end of the day, I don't think.that the top end talent on this team is set up to go toe to toe with other teams best and with those matchups night in and night out

Instead, Chevy has built a team who will succeed based on depth and goaltending. He's playing the habd he's been dealt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad