GDT: 2024-25 season game 3 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @10:00am (Again) 10/14/24

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
10 am game on a Monday?! I didn't even know there was a game today. Sounds like you saying Kuemper fell off a cliff or something?
Kuemper can let in 8 goals every game for the rest of the season and I'd still take him over Dubois.

And it was a total team collapse defensively. One of which PLD wouldn't be able to save us from either

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
They didn't fly home they've been on the road the entire time.
So LA's first Home game is not until the 24th of October? Another 4 games on the road the Kings will be looking for some Home cooked meals soon,I know I would be!!!

Burroughs is horrible, as a #6D you shouldn't be drawing this much attention this often.
It's crazy that he's considered to be an NHL player
Burroughs isn't that bad and he's tough to boot and RD-man also which can't be that bad

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just saw the highlights, and despite how poorly the team D was, Kuemper played awful. He didn't look comfortable at all. The first 2 goals he gave up were perimeter shots he should have stopped(both glove-side, which is Kuemper's weakest part of his game). If he has his glove in better position(which he should have) he stops both shots. I think in these loose type of games, Rittich is the better goalie(he moves quicker than Kuemper). Hiller did not recognize he should have made a goalie change during the game. 2 of the goals bounced off/through him(five-hole OT goal and the other one 7-hole(armpit). Those type of goals indicate his angling was off.

Hiller has the final decision on his lineup. He needs to realize to get both goalies involved early in the season. Despite it being the 3rd game of the season, I don't particularly like blowing 2-0/3-1/4-2/5-4/6-5 leads! It's on Hiller that as the coach he got caught up in a high scoring game, which favors the Sens forward lineup! It's Hiller's coach job to have his team slow the game down a bit, as the Sens are the faster skating team that can quick strike score goals. Despite having all those leads, as coach I would have put in Rittich to change the momentum of the game, and the fact Kuemper was having a bad game.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Just saw the highlights, and despite how poorly the team D was, Kuemper played awful. He didn't look comfortable at all. The first 2 goals he gave up were perimeter shots he should have stopped(both glove-side, which is Kuemper's weakest part of his game). If he has his glove in better position(which he should have) he stops both shots. I think in these loose type of games, Rittich is the better goalie(he moves quicker than Kuemper). Hiller did not recognize he should have made a goalie change during the game. 2 of the goals bounced off/through him(five-hole OT goal and the other one 7-hole(armpit). Those type of goals indicate his angling was off.

Hiller has the final decision on his lineup. He needs to realize to get both goalies involved early in the season. Despite it being the 3rd game of the season, I don't particularly like blowing 2-0/3-1/4-2/5-4/6-5 leads! It's on Hiller that as the coach he got caught up in a high scoring game, which favors the Sens forward lineup! It's Hiller's coach job to have his team slow the game down a bit, as the Sens are the faster skating team that can quick strike score goals. Despite having all those leads, as coach I would have put in Rittich to change the momentum of the game, and the fact Kuemper was having a bad game.
I don't understand how an NHL level coach can't read a game like this and decide there needs to be a goalie change. If its f***ing obvious to us it should be to him.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I don't understand how an NHL level coach can't read a game like this and decide there needs to be a goalie change. If its f***ing obvious to us it should be to him.
As bad as it was the Kings were lading most of the way. Hard to pull the winning (at the time ) goalie.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
As bad as it was the Kings were lading most of the way. Hard to pull the winning (at the time ) goalie.
If it's a young goalie yes, but Kuemper is a vet. Vet goalies know when their having a bad game. Hiller is the head coach and boss of the players. He should have absolutely made a switch. Kuemper would understand and knows it's a long season. You sit on the bench reflect/look at what you were facing, learn and be better for the next game. A younger goalie because of less experience would take it more personal being pulled while winning.

I'm talking more around when it was 7-6 Ottawa, later in the game. Its unheard of to have a goalie in the NHL stay in for all 8 goals.
Not if you go back to the 70's/80's.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kuemper can let in 8 goals every game for the rest of the season and I'd still take him over Dubois.

And it was a total team collapse defensively. One of which PLD wouldn't be able to save us from either
Not sure how PLD comes into the picture, as he's gone now and off the salary cap books for the Kings? Uh, no you wouldn't tolerate Kuemper giving up 8 goals a game. You just making silly talk here.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

The benefit of Kuemper is he doesn't have to play :P The Kings can play Rittich and just carry on being as middling and beleaguered as ever. PLD was a boat anchor you were forced to play guaranteed to weigh down the team for 8 years night in an out. Not to mention, Kuemper is still better...

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure how PLD comes into the picture, as he's gone now and off the salary cap books for the Kings? Uh, no you wouldn't tolerate Kuemper giving up 8 goals a game. You just making silly talk here.
A Caps fan crowing about Kuemper falling off the cliff gets that response regarding PLD. I know you are a Kings fan, too, but considering the chest thumping about PLD having a good preseason game against Columbus, I thought you had similar motivations.

As far as not tolerating Kuemper giving up 8 goals a game? It would be miserable for certain. But you know what? It would still be three years at most. And it would be much easier just to have a backup play over him.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Well, don't want to jump to conclusions. Managed to put up some points in the standings. Boston was difficult to read due to terrible ice & the puck bouncing everywhere.

Hiller isn't looking like an NHL coach at this point. You could drive a Zamboni down the center of the King's D-zone without hitting a King's player. PK isn't disrupting entry. Transition sucks. Defense sucks. Solid challenge for a penalty to pile on when team is spiraling.

I'm going to bet on Hiller improving. Otherwise he won't be around much longer.

Haven't seen a game that bad since Cal was a King.

Reactions: BaileyFan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
A Caps fan crowing about Kuemper falling off the cliff gets that response regarding PLD. I know you are a Kings fan, too, but considering the chest thumping about PLD having a good preseason game against Columbus, I thought you had similar motivations.

As far as not tolerating Kuemper giving up 8 goals a game? It would be miserable for certain. But you know what? It would still be three years at most. And it would be much easier just to have a backup play over him.
Blake never should have traded for PLD to begin with, when a starting goalie was an issue. He gave PLD a new big contract before the guy even gelled with the team! It really was a dumb move by Blake. To add to that, Blake should have made a trade for a scoring d-men, who could take pressure off of Doughty. The Kings did a horrible scouting report on PLD to see how he would fit into the rosters lineup. When Caps traded for PLD, they did their homework. PLD was a skill set Caps needed, plus PLD had player/coaching ties with the Caps so the fit would be easier. Also, the Caps have a bit of history dealing with player like PLD(Kuznetsov) and bringing in players that were able to improve their offensive production from their previous team(Strome, Oshie, and Brett Connolly). I will say it again, TMac/Hiller misused PLD. The Kings did not deploy him right on the PP with his play making ability and shot from the right side. I also saw multiple times during the season when PLD made good passes only for his line mates to either mess up or not finish with a goal. Kings have had a certain way for many years how they want to their centers to play on all 4 lines, and that has been 2-way center play. PLD is good creating offense, but is not that good back-checking, so you have to compliment him with 2-way wingers. He just did not look comfortable to the system from the beginning. I really disliked TMac with how he forced players to play his system, instead of at times adjusting his coaching style to the roster. Hiller has similar issues. Last was PLD attitude wrong, yes. But I have seen that from players on plenty of other teams. It up to the coach to find ways of how to handle that, which TMac was weak on as he wasn't a players coach. With the Caps, Spenser Carbery is a players coach and tries to really get a read to know his players. I will stand by what I have said that the hate for PLD is overblown, as a lot of the fault falls on Blake! PLD is gone. It's not first time the Kings made a bad trade. My Caps have done it and so have so many other teams.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
[..]I really disliked TMac with how he forced players to play his system, instead of at times adjusting his coaching style to the roster. Hiller has similar issues. Last was PLD attitude wrong, yes. But I have seen that from players on plenty of other teams. It up to the coach to find ways of how to handle that, which TMac was weak on as he wasn't a players coach. [..]
This is exactly the problem with the org. They make every player worse. The only players that thrive here are already in the mold they want.

PLD is a completely gutless loser. But you are right, they made it even worse. It tells you how bad they are at scouting, that they moved talent like Vilardi for a guy that totally does not fit their concept of a 2 way center. Then sign him to a long term deal. This falls under the concept of "you cant make this stuff up". They are f***ing imbeciles running this team.

Re PLD - if you look at his pts/60 5x5 for his King season - its very similar to his previous season in WPG. The main difference was much fewer power play points.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It would be more convincing if you didn't f*** off for the two games Kuemper was awesome then magically show up the day he sucks balls.

He did more for the Kings in those two games than PLD did in 80.

Believe me when I say no one gives a shit to defend Kuemper, they are just so, so happy to be free of PLD. I know you feel like you need to find a 'win' in having PLD; there is none. It's misery. Get used to it. Coming over here and shitting all over Kuemper's pancakes every chance you get won't fill the void you will feel for the next 7 years every time that black hole touches the ice.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good news, Kings will no longer be ruining our days and will be ruining our evenings later and later for the next few games

I truly can't recall the last time this team played 2 10am games in a row, never mind 3!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It would be more convincing if you didn't f*** off for the two games Kuemper was awesome then magically show up the day he sucks balls.

He did more for the Kings in those two games than PLD did in 80.
Kuemper played well the first 2 while good portion of the team didn't. In this 3rd game he stunk, even though the team scored 7 goals. For a vet like him who won a Cup 4 years ago, the way he played today isn't so excusable. What are you talking about? I did not know they had a 10 am game today. I watched the highlights and a good deal of the 8 goals were bad. I gave Kuemper his due for playing well. In fact these first 2 games with the Kings, he probably played better than the 2 years he ever did with the Caps! From what I saw in the highlights today, either Kuemper never should have started this game or he should have pulled later during the game. I'm a goalie fan big time, so I will critique any NHL goalie, good or bad based on what I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad