2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The fact that the Blackhawks have given up 9 less goals than the Flyers in the same amount of games should really show how bad this f***ing team is. They are running at about 3.5 goals given up on average a game.

Briere is too f***ing stupid to realize that there are going to be a lot of players who don't want to be here.
the best part is we are 31st out of 32 teams and this is year 3 of a 3 year rebuild..

#sameoldEra...🤣

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For the same reason a body continues to get worse when it has an infection that’s spreading and isnt being treated at all.

They still have Jones, Torts, the fat bald one, the advisors, Hilferty, and all their idiot hires.

Reactions: Taijuan Fedotov

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
the best part is we are 31st out of 32 teams and this is year 3 of a 3 year rebuild..

#sameoldEra...🤣
That's not a fair judgement of this teams qualities. Sharks are the only team that's tanking. Most are either trying to do half assed retool or slowly trying to contend following a rebuild. We are simply as bad as other bad teams. However the thing is that we don't have any rentals and god forbid they'll do a hockey trade given how inept their pro scouting is. Two years away from two years away.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Surprised there’s never been a Belarusian goalie to play in the NHL before.

Daniel Taylor ins Belarusian now... but was not when he played in the NHL aha.

But yeh, there have been 15x skaters and no goalies before last night. (not counting the guys like Miszuk, Misyul and Bautin who were born in Belarus but played for a different nation)

Ustimenko plays under a Russian flag but he actually dressed for a game and did not play and is Belarusian.

Flyers have more connections to Belarus than probably any other NHL team...

John Miszuk was the first Belarusian born player to play in the NHL in the 1960s and ofc played 2 seasons with the Flyers.
4 of the 18 Belarus born players in NHL history who dressed for 1+ game played for the Flyers.

Reactions: BernieParent

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
This is the 2nd year of what is probably a 5 year rebuild, by 2017-18 they should start to be competitive.
So far I have no problem with their drafts, especially seeing their D+1 seasons.

I know you made a typo with the years, but this is exceptionally funny because you've been saying they're 2 years from being 2 year away for about 6 years now.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Meltzer from hockeybuzz:

"I was told by someone in hockey ops that Tortorella did not want "go too small on D" with three small/smallish D. York and Drysdale are in the lineup, so that squeezed out Andrae when he was called up. Right now with York out, though, there's an opportunity for Andrae. He was a bright spot last night."

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
dinner-rolls-in-pan.jpg

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meltzer from hockeybuzz:

"I was told by someone in hockey ops that Tortorella did not want "go too small on D" with three small/smallish D. York and Drysdale are in the lineup, so that squeezed out Andrae when he was called up. Right now with York out, though, there's an opportunity for Andrae. He was a bright spot last night."
Just watch the traffic around the Flyers net against teams like Minnesota and you can see why.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
For sure - fans can't win

I think this is just what a bad team looks like. They can look decent in spurts, but ultimately they will regress to their talent and team level.

Not sure what the big difference was last year. Is it as simple as Walker and Hart and the team playing above their heads?

Our team defense is awful, and we have the goaltending to match. Our team offense is very erratic. It's really only the same 3-4 players contributing offensively and every one else is just a passenger.

I'm sure they will figure out some stability and won't *look* this bad all year, but I'm not sure they will match last year's output. I thought they would be playoff bubble before the season started, but now, it seems very unlikely!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The fact that the Blackhawks have given up 9 less goals than the Flyers in the same amount of games should really show how bad this f***ing team is. They are running at about 3.5 goals given up on average a game.

Briere is too f***ing stupid to realize that there are going to be a lot of players who don't want to be here.
Both teams have played 9 games:
Chicago 5x5 18.88 xGA - all 31.14
Flyers 5x5 16.57 xGA - all 27.05

Hmm. Wonder why Flyers have given up more goals?

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
There's a joke between me and my buddy that if PHI continues this way, even Ābols won't be able to save Flyers.

Sigh.

@deadhead , analytics-wise, any other good nuggets you can share? (no sarcasm, btw). I want to dig a bit deeper myself, perhaps on player-level, but would appreciate being shown direction, slightly.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Just watch the traffic around the Flyers net against teams like Minnesota and you can see why.
So dress an inferior big player. Makes sense.

Both teams have played 9 games:
Chicago 5x5 18.88 xGA - all 31.14
Flyers 5x5 16.57 xGA - all 27.05

Hmm. Wonder why Flyers have given up more goals?
Because they are not a good team? Nah no way with 15 1st rd picks on the roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a joke between me and my buddy that if PHI continues this way, even Ābols won't be able to save Flyers.

Sigh.

@deadhead , analytics-wise, any other good nuggets you can share? (no sarcasm, btw). I want to dig a bit deeper myself, perhaps on player-level, but would appreciate being shown direction, slightly.
I'd ask Jo Jo, I can't afford to sign up to the best sites (spend too much money on the NYT and the Economist on a fixed income).

Flyers are worse this year on advanced stats, but the goalies have been the biggest problem, similar to the last 20 games last year when Ersson wore down. Some of this may be the metrics don't capture how bad the scoring chances allowed have been, but mostly Ersson being meh and Fedotov being awful..

Last 20 last season v first 9 this season:
xGF 53.29%, HCDF 55.25%, (GA - xGA)/60 = 1.11
xGF 47.06%, HDCF 46.44%, (GA-xGA)/60 = 1.44

They're not playing as well and the goalies are even worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad