2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tkachuk had 15 points in 27 games with Calgary. Marner has 50 points in 57 career games (including 14 in 11 two seasons ago), but we’re supposed to believe he stinks and can’t have a good run? I love a good playoff narrative. Some people would rather have Laughton than Pettersson, Panarin, and Marner.
I'd rather have Laughton on the Flyers than Marner or Panarin - because in 3 years, Laughton will be gone but the others will be declining with huge cap hits. It's not like they're good enough to make you competitive - if Marner can't carry Toronto to the 2nd rd, he's certainly not going to carry the Flyers.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd rather have Laughton on the Flyers than Marner or Panarin - because in 3 years, Laughton will be gone but the others will be declining with huge cap hits. It's not like they're good enough to make you competitive - if Marner can't carry Toronto to the 2nd rd, he's certainly not going to carry the Flyers.

What

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'd rather have Laughton on the Flyers than Marner or Panarin
1116.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"We need to rebuild."

No, let's add Marner and the 7x12M extension you'll have to give him
He'll be 28 when it starts, so in his 30s when this team is competitive.
And he's a RW. So he's not going to be a huge difference maker for this team. Except picking a few slots lower in the 2026 and 2027 drafts.

Now if he was a top center he might be worth it, even then you'd be paying top dollar for his 33-35 year old seasons. But center is a gapping hole, RW is not. Add a top center, and there will be huge synergies (Frost, Couts and Luchanko next year pushed down, wings will look better).

Whatever is killing Toronto in the POs, it doesn't seem to be goalies:
2023-24: -2.87 (GA - xGA)
2022-23: +0.69
2021-22: +0.61
2020-21: -1.64
2019-20: -1.07

5x5 xGF% PP - PK
2023-24: 47.69% 1-0 0-6 net -5
2022-23: 50.97% 8-0 0-8 net 0
2021-22: 50.18% 4-1 2-7 net -2
2020-21: 58.09% 3-1 0-3 net -1
2019-20: 53.79% 2-0 1-0 net 3

Can't blame STs except for last season.

Something is rotten in the team from Toronto.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I, uh, think the whole point is missed here.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The Leafs are once again having issues. They’ve tried changing GMs and coaches with no effect. It’s obvious that the big guys need to be broken up. No club in their right mind would trade Matthews so either Marner or Nylander need to go. Marner would need an extension in order to be dealt. In return they would need some grit as well as scoring.
Could the Flyers step in here and nab an extended Marner or Nylander for something like Laughton, Konecny or Ristolainen. Obviously Toronto would need to add in order to make the money work. I included Laughton and Risto since Berube likes Laughton a lot and a RHD is a Leaf need.
Marner or Nylander could play center for the Flyers. Nylander has been open to a position change. Both have NMCs but things like that can be worked around if organizations chose to do so.
The Leafs are going to have to make a major personnel move. Just thinking if there is a way for the Flyers to benefit from it. Some team will.
They would get much better plyers back in any deal if either were moved. They want guys who are "winners" is my guess. Not Flyers slop

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
He made the team on merit, Luchanko was probably as good as Poehling or Laughton/Cates at center.
But as Briere said, they don't want him to be a 4C. They already have too many.
On merit and he really didn't even do much or stand out at all. That is how bad the Flyers are at this time. I am sure the PR didn't hurt them keeping him around for a few weeks. Hey look at us we are smart we drfated a future stud.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I get what you're saying and disagree. Give me one of those 2 then you can trade them and get much more back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think PR had anything to do with it, people seem to love conspiracy theories these days.

He was impressive for a kid who just turned 18, usually a raw kid will flash offensive skills but be totally clueless defensively, Luchanko looked confident and assured defensively, it's his offensive skill package that needs polishing.

He's only a few months older than many of the top prospects in this summer's draft.
Hopefully he gets traded to a top team and gets a long PO run and top wings on his line.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don't think PR had anything to do with it, people seem to love conspiracy theories these days.

He was impressive for a kid who just turned 18, usually a raw kid will flash offensive skills but be totally clueless defensively, Luchanko looked confident and assured defensively, it's his offensive skill package that needs polishing.

He's only a few months older than many of the top prospects in this summer's draft.
Hopefully he gets traded to a top team and gets a long PO run and top wings on his line.
Did you watch the same preseason and regular games that I did? He was not impressive at all to me.
Not a knock on him in any way.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can you trade they best player in a deal and come out of it a better team?

The kind of team that can win that sort of move is usually the kind of team already good enough at winning in the margins that they don't need to make those trades.

If you've gotta shed your best players to fill out the edges, then you're either at the end of your contention window and backed into a corner or you're shitty at this and it won't matter.

What can Marner be traded for that replaces him in aggregate right now?

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Every time I hear you talk about conspiracy theories, I always think back to the times you used to tell everyone what "Ron" was really thinking, as if you just got off the phone with him.

And the bolded?? You trying to gaslight your way into The Hive?

LSD is a helluva drug!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The kind of team that can win that sort of move is usually the kind of team already good enough at winning in the margins that they don't need to make those trades.

If you've gotta shed your best players to fill out the edges, then you're either at the end of your contention window and backed into a corner or you're shitty at this and it won't matter.

All I needed was a yes or no response.

Or the group you have just isn't working despite how individually talented they all are.

So, your of the opinion trading Marber can no improve their team. Is that correct?

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
Did you watch the same preseason and regular games that I did? He was not impressive at all to me.
Not a knock on him in any way.
However, imo he is already one our top four centers. Admittedly a low standard and I'm glad they sent him back.

Every once in awhile I read a deadhead post. Read the one wanting Laughton over Marner and Panarin. Shit like that makes my eyes bleed.
He is a treasure. This board sucked when he was on sabbatical.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Prefacing this by saying I don't think a workable deal exists mid-season, but had they committed to the plan in the offseason, they could replace him with better team defense and goaltending, mainly. If, hypothetically, the Bruins had decided to keep Ullmark, and rocked up this offseason offering Swayman and Carlo, that could have resulted in a better team than the Leafs have now. I don't see any deals out there like that right now for them, anyone with a goalie at that level isn't moving them midseason, but that's the kind of thing where it would have made sense.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All I needed was a yes or no response.

Or the group you have just isn't working despite how individually talented they all are.

So, your of the opinion trading Marber can no improve their team. Is that correct?

I don't think it's a yes or no situation. The kind of team that can make it a yes usually isn't doing it because they don't need to. That's why it's rare. The only example that leaps to mind is Florida.

Most teams who fail to build around their core and trade a big piece to try and fix that don't get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad