2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If Luchanko makes the roster as a bottom six guy, it shows they didn’t learn anything from Couturier.

He is probably going to be a plus defender and could probably hold his own in the league for a bit, but it’s going to stunt his development for sure.

There's a bit of space between Sean Couturier the prospect and Jett Luchanko. If Couts hadn't gotten mono, he would've easily been a top 5 pick in his draft year—way closer to elite talent.

Couts has been solid, though. He's kind of the exception to the rule and has pretty much hit his ceiling. I honestly don't think he has the soft hands or creativity to be a bigger offensive threat - one more season of Juniors wouldn't have changed the picture.

But yeah, Luchanko definitely needs to be sent down. Why take a risk and bet on another unconventional development curve?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Couturier was too good to fail. Doubt Luchanko fits that bill.

I have minimal faith that this management group has the restraint to let 9 games only be 9 games. If they could, I'd be fine with letting him try the NHL.
I like the kid, if it works I'd like to see

1. His 9 games spread out then he goes to WJ, then send him down for a OHL playoff run.

2. Game manage him like they did with Leo Carlsson last year.

Anyone think this could work, or is the best option 9 games and send him back to the OHL for the full season.

• Love
Reactions: captainpaxil

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The 9 game spread out before the WJC is the worst trend ever created. Kid was a good player in the OHL last year. Let him dominate at the Junior level before we start the NHL talk.

Let him hang around NHL camp a bit longer as a reward, whatever, but this shouldn't even be a discussion. Even Charlie says he hasn't been a standout and that guy was talking himself into the possibility just a few days ago.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Summary? I had to turn it off before he even got on the podcast.
That was just a time stamp of him talking about bridge deals (he prefers them and they factored that into the Drysdale trade lol).

Nothing too informative if you’ve listened to a Keith Jones interview before. Mostly talked about his career and his role with the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends on the player.
I'm not giving an 8 year deal without a couple full seasons to evaluate the player.

But if we're talking 20-22 for an ELC, 23-24 for first bridge, and 25-32 for the big contract, that's close to perfect. Michkov may get his 8 year deal at 22. At worst, 2 year bridge then pay him at 24.

TK was tougher, I'd probably have moved him, but the timing is such that he'll get his 8 year deal at 28, if they signed a similar FA, odds are it's a 7 year deal at 29. So to me it precludes a big FA signing.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
There's a bit of space between Sean Couturier the prospect and Jett Luchanko. If Couts hadn't gotten mono, he would've easily been a top 5 pick in his draft year—way closer to elite talent.

Couts has been solid, though. He's kind of the exception to the rule and has pretty much hit his ceiling. I honestly don't think he has the soft hands or creativity to be a bigger offensive threat - one more season of Juniors wouldn't have changed the picture.

But yeah, Luchanko definitely needs to be sent down. Why take a risk and bet on another unconventional development curve?
I don’t disagree in the rankings of the prospects—honestly think there being some early thoughts Couturier would be a number one pick before the mono.

But the process concerns remain the same. You have a prospect who the organization may be considering too good for juniors. Like couturier, he could very easily be pigeon holed into a checking role. It took years for couturier to be in a position to actually produce, even though the analytics demonstrated he would if given the opportunity.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I agree with most of your post, but as a member of the Couturier Complaint Collective, aka 3C, I must point out he had a four season stretch of 252 points in 276 games (75P per 82 GP) which included two actual 30 goal seasons. The pervasive idea from early in his career that he was too slow or his hands were too hard to be a major offensive threat in his prime, wasn't accurate.

In that prime period he was tied for 29th with Barzal and Backstrom in overall forward scoring, and tied for 14th in ES scoring with Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad