Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People need to realize that Lindholm's number will start wtih a 7 at minimum.

And I get that you can't take fans' words for gospel, but Canes fans here and on twitter say the team wants a C or a RD for Necas- though whether they get that or not who knows.

Rumor was if Petterson wouldn't extend in Vancouver he was heading to Carolina and Necas was the main piece going back the other way.

I don't get the Ullmark to Carolina talk. They have Andersen signed for 1 more year with similar trade protection. Comparable goalie to Ullmark (Ullmark is actually less proven in the playoffs), cheaper and same contract status (UFA 2025). Kochetkov has been good for them and sign 3 more years at a nice number.

Meanwhile, they literally have no NHL defensemen signed past next season. Not a lot committed up front either and rumors they'll buy out Kotkaniemi (makes a lot of sense, basically 800k a year for 12 years).

But they are looking to move their most tradeable young forward for a goaltender? Makes no sense at all.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If the Bruins can't get Necas, I think Sweeney should reach out to St. Louis and offer Frederic+ for Buchnevich.
If Swayman could bring back a legit star, and Ullmark would extend for less money, is it crazy to think about it?
In my opinion, it would depend on the star player coming back. With rumors and speculation of Sweeney shopping Ullmark since the trade deadline and his name being floated around right now, it looks like the Bruins see Swayman as their long-term #1 goalie.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Y'all can't be serious thinking about bringing back Kase?

He's had 7 concussions.

Absolutely not. That guy needs to retire and enjoy his life.

Yeah, I agree that is what he should do. Beyond that what you can't do is sign him with the expectation he fills a top 6 role for you, because there is a high chance he doen't make it to thanksgiving.

I wish him the best, but think he'd be crazy to come back to the NHL

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Yeah, I agree that is what he should do. Beyond that what you can't do is sign him with the expectation he fills a top 6 role for you, because there is a high chance he doen't make it to thanksgiving.

Exactly. And don't get me wrong, I am thrilled he seems to be "fine" and back to scoring etc

But he  still skates with his head down. After 7 concussions you'd think he'd change it up. I would not take a risk on him again. It's not a Danton Heinen situation. 1 concussion is bad enough. But hes had 7. God Bless him. But man, that's just...no. Absolutely not.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

He should stay in Europe he's not build for the NHL game, his next hit could be his last

Tommy Tubs

Mar 2, 2024
You're forgetting Chychrun's current contract is 4.6 so that trade creates 4.5 in space. You have to sign Bussi and minimally another D so even low-balling estimates, it's going to run you 1.5m IF they both sign league minimum contracts. That leaves you 3m to sign Swayman.
Yeah, Plus, I see this in football talk too. The whole "we have x number of dollars under the cap so here's x in big FA contracts" idea.

Doesn't work that way. You need money for minimum salary types and you'll try to stay a little under the cap for callus and emergencies. The amount of cap you can spend is less than the total you're going to see listed.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Let me put this another way.

Would you rather spend ~12m to 13m on:

Necas (25 to ~32) and Pesce (29 to ~35)

Or

Lindholm (29 to ~36) and Carlo (27 to ~30)

As part of your calculus, feel free to include that Carlo will need a new deal at the end of this one that will likely be more than what Pesce gets.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Y'all can't be serious thinking about bringing back Kase?

He's had 7 concussions.

Absolutely not. That guy needs to retire and enjoy his life.
While I agree he should probably look to hang them up, it's not like he costs you much and he can add some much needed speed to the team with some upside offensively.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Let me put this another way.

Would you rather spend ~12m to 13m on:

Necas (25 to ~32) and Pesce (29 to ~35)

Or

Lindholm (29 to ~36) and Carlo (27 to ~30)

As part of your calculus, feel free to include that Carlo will need a new deal at the end of this one that will likely be more than what Pesce gets.

I don't think the Bruins have what it would take to trade for Necas. Ullmark will get you a second round pick + good prospect (tops) and I'm pretty sure any trade for Necas it's a first round pick++.

Imo, it's a pipe dream, can't see that happening.

Reactions: SPV

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Coyle as 2C as a transition until Poitras is ready is an okay outcome if you have solved other things along the way.
Not if you are looking for your wingers to score goals, the guy can't make plays.

Rather see Freddy in the number two if that was the case and I hope its not.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't think the Bruins have what it would take to trade for Necas. Ullmark will get you a second round pick + good prospect (tops) and I'm pretty sure any trade for Necas it's a first round pick++.

If Darcy keumper can get a 1st/3rd/mid prospect then Ullmark can too.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I'd pay a 1st ++ for Necas. Plan being that 1st is in the bottom 8 picks. Lysell/Merkulov or even Lysell plus Merkulov feels fine to me.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It’s undoubtedly weaker. But it’s more attack minded, is meaner, and more balanced to not be spending 2/3rds of the game defending instead of scoring. You also have added a potential star top six scoring forward that is 25. I don’t think folks are putting together this guy has averaged 60 points a season over the last two season from the 3rd line in his 24 and 25 year old seasons. Will he need Zacha to take draws, especially on his weak side? Sure.

There are also plenty of other options for replacing Carlo’s spot at 5 on 5 going in a range of directions from very expensive to cheap. Montour, Roy, Pesce, Carrier out there in UFA. Or maybe get a young D that doesn’t have room like Spence in LA with his redundancy with Clarke. Personally, I’d rather sign a 29-30 year old D in UFA than a center. Not only is the aging curve better, but the depth of talent out there is better.

I dunno. Lots of binary lateral thinking in these parts.
Everyone of those d-men you mentioned are older than Carlo, and they all will probably seek more money then Carlo, and do not they make you better on D. I will stay with Carlo thank you very much........

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'd pay a 1st ++ for Necas. Plan being that 1st is in the bottom 8 picks. Lysell/Merkulov or even Lysell plus Merkulov feels fine to me.
Merkulov has little value, I feel he will be an AHL stud

Lysell seems to be putting it together ad should get a shot next season.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While I agree he should probably look to hang them up, it's not like he costs you much and he can add some much needed speed to the team with some upside offensively.

But you been to build a plan when signing guys in the offseason. If you sign Kase for 2 years where are you slotting him? Is he in the Heinen job 2rst man play up and down lineup, can he do that? Or do you have to play him on one of the top 2 lines in order to get value from him?

If you sign him and slot him on the second line, what is the plan if his season ends before Thanksgiving?

So there is cost involved which is not so much money, but is opportunity cost.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think the only way you get Necas or Mercer for Ullmark is if we’re adding Lysell and Poitras. Those guys are both young studs, need to pay to get that kind of return.

Feb 25, 2016
That’s just not true about the cap squeeze. Lots of teams have space - including their current teams. Reinhart and Guentzel will get 8 years over $10M.
Ha, 8 years puts them
That’s just not true about the cap squeeze. Lots of teams have space - including their current teams. Reinhart and Guentzel will get 8 years over $10M.
Ha Ha ha, that’s funny. Reinhart has been a 20 goal scorer for all of his career and you think some teams going to give him 80 million for one year of outperformance? 10 million per when he’s 35-36-37-38 year old player. Ha ha ha maybe with your money. Guentzel is another valuable player but paying him into his 35-36-37-38 years old days at 10 per. 🤣

If another team spends that much cap money then that just another benefit for the Bruins down road.

You're forgetting Chychrun's current contract is 4.6 so that trade creates 4.5 in space. You have to sign Bussi and minimally another D so even low-balling estimates, it's going to run you 1.5m IF they both sign league minimum contracts. That leaves you 3m to sign Swayman.
Did you miss the Ulmark and Carlo trade I also mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad