Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Had a wild thought on the future today. Jack Eichel is a free agent in 2026. Should we make sure we have cap room for that date? You know he wants to be a Bruin. He might even have Bruins PJs like Tavares had in Toronto.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Had a wild thought on the future today. Jack Eichel is a free agent in 2026. Should we make sure we have cap room for that date? You know he wants to be a Bruin. He might even have Bruins PJs like Tavares had in Toronto.
I think you have to plan for him not coming here, but also have options so that it’s not impossible for him to sign here. Can’t be too liberal with NTC’s over the next few years as the B’s build, very easy to eliminate any flexibility if a few NTC’s have the right teams on them.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I do believe Sweeney wants DeBrusk but if leaves I would flip Zacha to LW opposite Pasta & tell him to focus on creating and shooting - minimizing the responsibility that comes with playing center

He should be like Rene Robert, Vic Hadfield, or Michael Renberg playing that third guy on the wing with a super star linemate - albeit a good player in his own right

Then you go get Necas and extend so your top 6 after this is

Zacha - X - Pastrnak
Marchand- Coyle - Necas

Game breakers everywhere

THEN you got center shopping

Lindholm for 5 at 6-7 works

Stephenson I’m a fan of

Maybe Monahan on a short deal

For price & skillset Lindholm the guy because he moves Zacha where he can use size, shot, passing - he’s got really good hands but when I watch him he’s spending a lot of energy coming deep and battling

Give that to Lindholm or the speedy Stephenson who would be an excellent Bruins

Really like this player

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
And how many playoff rounds has Pyjama Boy won since he's been in Toronto?

I do believe Sweeney wants DeBrusk but if leaves I would flip Zacha to LW opposite Pasta & tell him to focus on creating and shooting - minimizing the responsibility that comes with playing center

He should be like Rene Robert, Vic Hadfield, or Michael Renberg playing that third guy on the wing with a super star linemate - albeit a good player in his own right

Then you go get Necas and extend so your top 6 after this is

Zacha - X - Pastrnak
Marchand- Coyle - Necas

Game breakers everywhere

THEN you got center shopping

Lindholm for 5 at 6-7 works

Stephenson I’m a fan of

Maybe Monahan on a short deal

For price & skillset Lindholm the guy because he moves Zacha where he can use size, shot, passing - he’s got really good hands but when I watch him he’s spending a lot of energy coming deep and battling

Give that to Lindholm or the speedy Stephenson who would be an excellent Bruins

Really like this player
I like everything you wrote, except the part about Monahan. HARD PASS for me.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
PLD sucks. Lazy and a malcontent. Already could be on team 4 by age 25. If that doesn’t scream the guy is a problem I don’t know what does.
Lindholm is just too risky for me, go after Necas hard and re-sign Jake. Grab Stephenson if it’s a reasonable price and get a bottom pairing guy to push Wotherspoon to 7.
Necas & Stephenson brings lots of speed up front.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ullmark + Lysell or Merkulov for Necas (Canes move Andersen to NJD)
Sign Stephenson (would cost a lot less than Lindholm and almost provide the same)

Adding Necas and Stephenson would provide a ton of speed and skill to the top two lines.
I’m thinking this as well from a fan who pays attention as a hobby but who knows how real evaluation goes but yeh I would be pretty happy if this was it

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I think Ullmark +Merkulov for Necas is a fair trade.
Give Necas 6x5 million/per aka Debrusk money

Sign Lindholm 6x 6.5 million/per
Trade Lauko for Olivier
Sign Dillion

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Poitras-Necas
Freddy-Coyle-Geekie
Olivier-Beecher-Brazeau (effing love this line- speed, size, toughness)
Lysell

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Dillion-Peeke (nasty 3rd pair to roll out)
Wortherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

If Poitras stumbles, we can move Coyle up and inset Lysell into the 3rd line and have Geekie/Freddy center. Think we're cap compliant here as well, even giving Swayman 7 million/per

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
And how many playoff rounds has Pyjama Boy won since he's been in Toronto?

I like everything you wrote, except the part about Monahan. HARD PASS for me.
In my opinion, Stephenson would work really well between Zacha and Pastrnak and Lindholm with Marchand.

Here's the thing, both of those guys probably want long term deals. Where does that leave Poitras? That's why I think DKH mentioning Monahan on a short team deal makes sense.

Reactions: Ratty and sarge88

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I both think they need to add some nasty on that remaining LD slot and am not sure how it fits at the same time. Peeke and Carlo both are below average with the puck. I think we all just saw how being good at defending but defending all the time can turn out. Dillon is also who I gave circled, but is a Dillon/Peeke pairing too samey?

I keep playing with the idea of Carlo/Necas and having a Casey or Spence be part of the Ullmark return.

Something like:

Lindholm McAvoy
Lorhei Peeke
Dillon Casey/Pence
Wotherspoon

Leaves you with something like:

Zacha Necas Pastrnak
Marchand ??? ???
Frederic Coyle Geekie
Beecher Boqvist Brazeau
Lauko

And around 10 million to fill in. And if you follow MMBs thinking with maybe putting Coyle out there, you can bring back Heinen or let the kids fight over a 3rd line spot and get yourself to a point where you could afford Lindholm and DeBrusk/Marchessault for those spots. Or maybe you keep Coyle at 2C until Poitras is ready, and try to add someone high end with that cash. Obviously, these 42 moves in a chain thing are dicey to pull off, but I do think it speaks to the kind of flexibility Sweeney can have if he decides to get aggressive in re-shaping things.
Were you someone who was screaming about the lack of face off wins, Necas certainly does not help with that ? Trading Carlo makes zero sense, that defense you proposed is definitely weaker.

Feb 25, 2016
With the Bruin's cap space coming in at about 21 Mil;

Sam Reinhart for 6 year $7.4 Mil
Elias Lindholm for 6 years 6.3 mil
Jake Guentzel for 6 years at 7.4 Mil
Ullmark and Carlo to the Senators for Chychrun (signing for 6 years 6.5 mil; a 1st and 2nd round picks in 2024 and 2nd round in 2025.

We want the CUP!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
With the Bruin's cap space coming in at about 21 Mil;

Sam Reinhart for 6 year $7.4 Mil
Elias Lindholm for 6 years 6.3 mil
Jake Guentzel for 6 years at 7.4 Mil
Ullmark and Carlo to the Senators for Chychrun (signing for 6 years 6.5 mil; a 1st and 2nd round picks in 2024 and 2nd round in 2025.

We want the CUP!

1.- Those are all lowball offers that won't get you any of those players.
2.- Chychrun is a LD so now we'd need to go out and get another RD or play one of our guys on their off side.
3.- Even if all of these guys signed for the numbers you suggest, you have 2, maybe 3 million left to sign Swayman. So your "We want the CUP!" mantra is more like "Bussi or bust!"

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
trying to figure out what this forward group will look like next year feels like an exercise in futility.

sweeneely says they wanna get faster, score more goals, and win more puck battles.
debrusk actually checks all 3 boxes, nobody else here does that.

UFA: debrusk (fast), maroon (slow), JVR (slow), heinen

RFA: boqvist (fast)

non stars under contract: frederic, geekie (slow), brazeau (slow), lauko (fast), beecher (fast), coyle, zacha, poitras

i can see them trading geekie for a draft pick and replacing him with a higher end center. but not a lot of guys
feel totally safe at this point.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If Ullmark is going to block us on any and all trades and we have to carry a ton of money in goal how about an offseason where we only sign FAs to 1 year deals and then make sure we have plenty of room next summer for Draisaitl?

1 year deal to Alec Martinez
1 year deal to Pavelski or Duchense whichever you can get to leave Dallas.
1 year of Pat Kane?
Maybe there is a young guy who only wants a 1 year deal and wants to be a free agent next summer?

Reactions: Gordoff
Feb 25, 2016
1.- Those are all lowball offers that won't get you any of those players.
2.- Chychrun is a LD so now we'd need to go out and get another RD or play one of our guys on their off side.
3.- Even if all of these guys signed for the numbers you suggest, you have 2, maybe 3 million left to sign Swayman. So your "We want the CUP!" mantra is more like "Bussi or bust!"
Every team, other than the bottom tier, are in cap-squeeze territory. Reinhart had a big year but his career is mostly a 20-odd goals scorer. All, except Chychrun, are at or near 30 years old and looking at their last big payday contract. Giving them 6 years at that rate is a bird in the hand and they would be foolish to pass it up. Will other teams bid bigger? Sure, but probably not at 6 years or be a cup contender
7.4 (44.4 mil)+7.4 (44.4 mil)+6.4 (38.4 mil)= $21.1 mil (127.2 mil)

Giving up Carlo and Ullmark frees up 9.1 million, so more than enough to get it all done.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Every team, other than the bottom tier, are in cap-squeeze territory. Reinhart had a big year but his career is mostly a 20-odd goals scorer. All, except Chychrun, are at or near 30 years old and looking at their last big payday contract. Giving them 6 years at that rate is a bird in the hand and they would be foolish to pass it up. Will other teams bid bigger? Sure, but probably not at 6 years or be a cup contender

Giving up Carlo and Ullmark frees up 9.1 million, so more than enough to get it all done.
That’s just not true about the cap squeeze. Lots of teams have space - including their current teams. Reinhart and Guentzel will get 8 years over $10M.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

You're forgetting Chychrun's current contract is 4.6 so that trade creates 4.5 in space. You have to sign Bussi and minimally another D so even low-balling estimates, it's going to run you 1.5m IF they both sign league minimum contracts. That leaves you 3m to sign Swayman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad