2024-25 RFA UFA speculation/armchair GMing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Would it even take that much? How much leverage do the Jets have if we won't sign there (though his rights don't run out until next summer)?
Red Wings have no leverage either.
All they can do is wait for 2 more years. Hope the Jets don’t trade him somewhere else (which they likely will). Even then, Detroit would still have to compete against probably all 30 teams if he did make it to free agency in 2 years. We have all seen how that goes.

If they want the player, step up and make your best offer IMO. Just make sure he would be willing to sign his entry here.

Reactions: redwings8831

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Leverage depends entirely on what the kid wants. Ie is it a Gauthier situation of not wanting one team or a Fox situation and he only wants one team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Red Wings have no leverage either.
All they can do is wait for 2 more years. Hope the Jets don’t trade him somewhere else (which they likely will). Even then, Detroit would still have to compete against probably all 30 teams if he did make it to free agency in 2 years. We have all seen how that goes.

If they want the player, step up and make your best offer IMO. Just make sure he would be willing to sign his entry here.

Why would a 14th overall pick 2 years ago be worth basically the same pick number this year + more?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Why would a 14th overall pick 2 years ago be worth basically the same pick number this year + more?
Because he has developed great in the last 2 years. Well above expectations. He is a much more proven prospect than anything that will be available at 15.

Have a look at all the draft value charts. The further into the future the pick is the less value it has. (Ie 2025 pick is worth more than a 2026 pick. Ect.). Considering his development, this would amplify that effect even more.

He just captained USA to a WJC gold medal.
He also led Michigan in points per game as a 19 yo sophomore. These are things you dream your 15 OA pick will go on to accomplish.

People can speculate away on leverage and posturing for value.
I just think he is flat out worth 15th OA and then some.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster and Martinez

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
In this situation, it's not about "leverage". It's a weak draft and probably 8-10 teams picking in the late first will gladly flip their pick for him.

I bet he gets traded at the draft. I would be comfortable trading 15OA for his rights.

Edit: Given that his issue is more with Winnipeg not promoting prospects and burying guys like Perfetti until their waiver rights expire, getting him to sign in Detroit might be just as hard as with WPG.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Because he has developed great in the last 2 years. Well above expectations. He is a much more proven prospect than anything that will be available at 15.

Have a look at all the draft value charts. The further into the future the pick is the less value it has. (Ie 2025 pick is worth more than a 2026 pick. Ect.). Considering his development, this would amplify that effect even more.

He just captained USA to a WJC gold medal.
He also led Michigan in points per game as a 19 yo sophomore. These are things you dream your 15 OA pick will go on to accomplish.

People can speculate away on leverage and posturing for value.
I just think he is flat out worth 15th OA and then some.

Would be a great trade to fasten the rebuild a bit.

2024 15th <> McGroarty

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
To add on the McGroarty speculation, I hear this guy and his family have some serious deep Michigan/Detroit hockey roots.

An Adam Fox like situation is not out of the question, but I would like for Yzerman to jump in and steal this guy away right now. Only worry might be rumors are he wants a guaranteed NHL spot. With the way we slow play rookies, to turn around and guarantee a spot to McGroarty might piss a few of our other younger players off big time.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
To add on the McGroarty speculation, I hear this guy and his family have some serious deep Michigan/Detroit hockey roots.

An Adam Fox like situation is not out of the question, but I would like for Yzerman to jump in and steal this guy away right now. Only worry might be rumors are he wants a guaranteed NHL spot. With the way we slow play rookies, to turn around and guarantee a spot to McGroarty might piss a few of our other younger players off big time.

Maybe it'll piss them off enough to bulk up 10 - 20 lbs. Rutger is already at 200lbs, and he's the same draft class as Kasper anyways.

The Wings have enough empty spots for Rutger and Burger. Just don't re-sign Perron and Sprong or Fischer.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I mean, that would be an Adam Fox situation. He didn't stay all 4 years at Harvard and sign as a free agent. He got traded twice. Once to Carolina (in the Hamilton, Hanifin, Lindholm trade) after his sophomore season and then when he still wouldn't sign after his junior season he got flipped to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

If that's the case we don't need to pay anything.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
@Petes2424 on Kane:
If I had to guess, I’d say he signs a 2 year deal with the Stars.

I would’ve said Vegas 1-2 months ago, but if the Stars cannot land Stamkos, I’m betting on Kane. Even though the Rangers are prepping to do something.

Detroit no longer has an open offer on the table from what I’m hearing, but there are parameters to make a deal depending on their position as the summer moves forward. ONLY as a secondary signing though, and Kane wants to be more than that if he’s signing in Detroit.

At this point though, he’s not in their plans and thats smart on their behalf.

They enjoyed having him but aren’t gonna be stupid about handing him 3 years and $21 million.

They won’t go more term, nor more dollars. They envisioned Kane taking Perron’s salary spot basically…. and although it’s not filled, it will be by July 2nd. So you’re talking between $5-$6 million and no more than 2 years.

By 7pm on July 1st, that AAV likely goes down considerably for Kane to return.

Could things change prior to July 1? Sure, but it’ll be Kane calling and deciding he wants to take THAT deal prior to July 1, or prior to any trade that may change things.

The only other way he returns to Detroit, is if he is still sitting out there later in July, and they find a spot for him then. Thats likely not happening either.

Good bet on Vegas or Dallas. Hadn’t heard the NYR thing at all. In fact, it’s interesting we’d hear that. Maybe his agent isn’t getting the response from certain teams he thought he would. Don’t think btw, they don’t already have an idea….

The thing is, any team is still taking a big chance handing Kane significant AAV or term. Remember, he’s a 35+ contract now too.

In fact, I’m under the impression DET would rather sign a Jake DeBrusk or Anthony Duclair type as a secondary scoring player, rather than Kane IF, and assuming IF, they have already made another Top 6 acquisition. A Top player like Reinhart, Stamkos, etc.

That IF they had a choice between the two, at the same money, they’d rather a player who isn’t so one dimensional like Kane. Kane can’t move down and create pace on the 3rd line for example, and he actually wasn’t the pace player they wanted in their Top 6. He is an offensive weapon though, so you make him fit.

You can bet Detroit has plans to chase or trade for a Top 6 weapon. That won’t be Patrick Kane.

Kane is a cherry on the top type signing. Last season they had the AAV available and had a spot for a player like him in the short term.

I say he ends up in Dallas, or in Vegas, assuming Vegas sheds some salary. If he’s back in Detroit, it’ll be on their terms.

As an organization, signing Kane cannot get in their way from being a better hockey club. This past season, you can make an argument, they were a better team without him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know Yzerman gave Husso a vote of confidence in the presser, but Tristan Jarry wouldn't be a bad get if we do look for a goalie.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
WWP boys always talk about losing Kane as this dire situation, almost like they were talking about a Hossa. Am I crazy to not really care one way or the other if we bring back Kane?
I'm ambivalent. It was fun to have Kane and he certainly helped last year but he's going to be 36. He doesn't really fit the timeline. Like @Petes2424 said in his post, it would make sense if he took Perron's contract but it sounds like he wants more term/AAV. I can see why Yzerman's reluctant to do that.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007

Yeah, that's the dynamic I'd be worried about here. If the kid is expecting something more than what Yzerman is willing to give, then to McGroarty we are just another Winnipeg, and there's no real point in acquiring him.

Still, it's fun to dream! I'd give up probably more than most on this forum for McGroarty. Not only to I like the player a lot, but he is exactly the type of young forward this organization needs in the system.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

If he is good enough to make the team and make it better, there should be no argument from the others. I am assuming Kasper will be on the wings this year, as will Berggren and maybe another forward by the end of the season. Why should having a player drafted the same year as Kasper obtained by trade and earned his lumps elsewhere...piss off any other in-house young player unless he takes a spot from them? (Danielson maybe has a case, but still not the end of the world)

There will be an injection of youth over the next few seasons, there will be a few traded away as the core gets built, the wings have more prospects than slots.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
WWP boys always talk about losing Kane as this dire situation, almost like they were talking about a Hossa. Am I crazy to not really care one way or the other if we bring back Kane?
Not even remotely. I actively don't want him back. He jams up the top 6 and a PP slot that you would want a younger "hopefully around when we're competitive" player. Kane wouldn't be. Even if it's Burgers, I'd rather it be Burgers at this point. Ideally we bring in a sub-25 impact player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad