2024-25 RFA UFA speculation/armchair GMing

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
That's great to hear. Hope he will move with 50% retention.

I want us to be a dirty pain-in-the-ass team.
I think he'd be a solid pairing with Ed and I think bring out some of that physicality/nastiness with Ed and Seider. What I really like is that he has 2 years left and lines up really nicely with when Ed would be due his extension. If Ed takes off like we hope he will, he may be in for a Seider lite payday then and we will likely need the cap space.

Wings would obviously need to move some salary around or back to make that happen. Would love to make a Trouba/Copp swap but that seems like it would favor us too much.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Davidson says Chicago isn't interested in bringing Kane back. So it's probably between us and Buffalo? Although Buffalo already has enough top 6 wingers?
With aging Kane we have too many small and not fast forwards. If we keep him, then trade away Berggren and Fabbri

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is there any word on the numbers they are working with in the seider negotiations?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
* GM Mode on a Sunday morning. *

Red Wings trade G Villie Husso, LHD Ollie Maata, and RFA Jonatan Berggren.
Sharks trade their 3rd round pick.

Red Wings trade RFA Joe Veleno and the 15th pick.
Blues trade F Pavel Buchnevich

Red Wings resign RHD Moritz Seider to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Lucas Raymond to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Patrick Kane to a 3 year contract worth 15, 5 million per year.
Red Wings sign G Kaapo Kahkonen to a 3 year contract worth 7.5 million, 2.5 million per year.
Red Wings sign F Liam O’Brien to a to a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million, 1.125 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Christian Fischer to a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million, 1.125 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Austin Czarnik to a 1 year minimum contract.

Pavel Buchnevich – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Alex DeBrincat – Nate DanielsonPatrick Kane
Michael Rasmussen – J.T. Compher – Robby Fabbri
Christian Fischer – (A) Andrew Copp – Liam O’Brien
* Austin Czarnik
* Carter Mazur

(A) Ben Chiarot – Mortiz Seider
Simon Edvinsson – Jeff Petry
Jake Walman – Albert Johansson

* Justin Holl

Kaapo Kahkonen
Alex Lyon

* Kind of have Fabbri/Lyon out there as a possible trade deadline swap for better top 4 defense or better middle six option(s).

* Kasper could be swapped for Danielson if you personally like him more, either way, it's a good situation, imo, for either guy to play between Kane/DeBrincat where they can focus on their face-offs/defense and not have to be a line-driver early with a good amount of ice-time still.

* Red Wings can/could get creative if Cossa/Kasper/Danielson/Mazur/Albertson all play their way onto the roster by TDL. Big if, lot has to go right.

* Resigning Buch might be determined by how they are standing at the TDL, (In this sitution). If Red Wings are cemented in the playoff hunt I think he'll get a deal with the team vs being traded. If things go wrong, for whatever reason, I think Yzerman pivots at the TDL guys like Buch, etc, with 1 year deals will be on the trade table.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
With the cap going up to 88 million, Yzerman has roughly 30 million to spend. Best case scenario, somehow he gets Ray and Mo signed at let's say they together come in at 17 million combined if us fans are lucky. Veleno gets 2 ?

Without considering Yzerman moves out any salary, or does a cap saving move.. Detroit has 10ish to spend. I dont believe bringing Ghost and Kane back is the best option to progress as a team. If Kane comes back at a reasonable price and in return we give him some term/security, I'd be okay cutting ties with the rest of the unsigned guys and using that remaining cap to go after 1 significant upgrade. I don't see them having 3 goalies on the roster next year but who knows, without 3 that's roughly another million that can go into skaters and not a press box guy also.

I think the Wings have a bit more flexibility than Yzerman gets credit for but we do have some negative assets no doubt. Mainly to me is Husso and Holl, both could bounce back but I'm sure the betting odds on that would not be attractive.

I'm curious if the free agent market doesn't appeal, maybe they get creative with a trades? I wouldn't mind Yzerman moving upcoming picks to take on a long term piece. We got Debrincat for a late first, although that wasn't confirmed at the time of the trade. Reasonable gamble go bet on Boston to be a top team in the standing, Ottawa knew that. Wings could likely upgrade, get a young guy whos a long term piece and keep the current prospect pool intact.

I think it's going to be a fun off season for us fans personally.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hes still a good defenseman. Dude had a bad playoffs playing on a broken ankle. He was literally missing a chunk of bone there.

People here need to expand their perception of Trouba on the team. Instead of him being this ‘dirty elbow throwing SOB’ - think of it as he’ll be our ‘dirty elbow throwing SOB’ with the opportunity of using such skills against opponents such as the Ottawa Senators.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Capfriendly farewell run

Seider 8x8
Raymond 5x6,5
Kane 3x5
Berggren 2x1
Perron 1x2,5
Veleno 1x1,5
Fischer 1x1,5

1st 2025 + Johansson + Määttä -> Ekblad
2nd 2026 + 3rd 2027 + Fabbri -> Zetterlund

Cat - Larkin - Ray
Zetterlund - JT - Kane
Ras - Copp - Fischer
Berggren - Veleno - Perron

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad
Walman - Petry
Holl

Lyon
Husso

87,476 807/88,000 000$
cap space: 523 193$

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Capfriendly farewell run

Seider 8x8
Raymond 5x6,5
Kane 3x5
Berggren 2x1
Perron 1x2,5
Veleno 1x1,5
Fischer 1x1,5

Cat - Larkin - Ray
Zetterlund - JT - Kane
Ras - Copp - Fischer

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad
Walman - Petry
Holl

Lyon
Husso

87,476 807/88,000 000$
i like them all, maybe dump husso and sign brossoit or Stolarz and its looking solid

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Matt Roy is not gonna sign with Kings...

...trade for his negotiation rights. Maybe throw a 3rd.

And also, trade Olli Määttä back to Kings for a 7th.

Roy (UFA rights) + LAK 6th <> Määttä + DET 3rd + DET 7th

Sign Roy for 6M and add only 3M to cap, when Määttä goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Only just realized Dakota Joshua is from Dearborn.
And David Clarkson is from Toronto...

That's going to be a bad contract for someone unless he comes to us for pennies on the dollar to go home. But he'd be dumb not to cash in on all his hype right now. Same with Zadorov. Those two are going to get paid a full line/pairing above their abilities.

Reactions: DTR

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
And David Clarkson is from Toronto...

That's going to be a bad contract for someone unless he comes to us for pennies on the dollar to go home. But he'd be dumb not to cash in on all his hype right now. Same with Zadorov. Those two are going to get paid a full line/pairing above their abilities.
Didn't know he is expected to get a payday, def not interested at a overpay price.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
He's certainly not going to be cheap. Fanbases are tripping over themselves (GMs no different) and he'll probably end up in the Barbashev $4-5M range.
giphy.webp

Reactions: norrisnick

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Capfriendly farewell run

Seider 8x8
Raymond 5x6,5
Kane 3x5
Berggren 2x1
Perron 1x2,5
Veleno 1x1,5
Fischer 1x1,5

Cat - Larkin - Ray
Zetterlund - JT - Kane
Ras - Copp - Fischer

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad
Walman - Petry
Holl

Lyon
Husso

87,476 807/88,000 000$
I expect higher pay for pretty much every one

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I would be very, very surprised if Yzerman pursues Dakota Joshua while we have Copp, Compher, and Veleno with Kasper and Danielson waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad