2024-25 RFA UFA speculation/armchair GMing

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
As for Kane.... do not want. For basically all of the reasons in Pete's post. I don't think he really helped this team as much as it seemed at times last season. The offense is there, but he doesn't carry anything anymore. Doesn't have that pace. And is of course a blackhole defensively. Some exciting moments last season, it was pretty cool to be at the United Center to watch him beat the Hawks in OT, but he's simply going to cost more than he's worth to Detroit. And he's still a scumbag, so it'll be nice to not have to root for him lol.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
WWP boys always talk about losing Kane as this dire situation, almost like they were talking about a Hossa. Am I crazy to not really care one way or the other if we bring back Kane?

That's pretty much where I'm at. If he's gone that's a significant loss of offense, but his presence also seemed to do weird things to team dynamics on the ice.

He's an incredibly entertaining player but as others have mentioned he's probably looking for term that Yzerman will be reluctant to give.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Not even remotely. I actively don't want him back. He jams up the top 6 and a PP slot that you would want a younger "hopefully around when we're competitive" player. Kane wouldn't be. Even if it's Burgers, I'd rather it be Burgers at this point. Ideally we bring in a sub-25 impact player.
I'm not even the biggest Berggren fan, as you know, and even I'd play him over Kane.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
WWP boys always talk about losing Kane as this dire situation, almost like they were talking about a Hossa. Am I crazy to not really care one way or the other if we bring back Kane?

They're traumatized from previous FA flops, scared to lose one of the best signings this team has had in a bit (which isn't saying much, btw).

For the love of god, use that salary to stabilize the blue line and net. I almost don't even care what happens with the forward group.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I agree with some other posters.. I'd like Kane back but mainly as a complimentary piece. I'd rather Yzerman and Co. after a longer term piece if they want 5 and over for their average. Kane is a joy to watch but the guys all tend to defer to him way too often and some of the current roster just doesnt have the skill to be effective with him.

They don't really have a ton of spots available so unless salary is being moved out I can't see us big game hunting plus bringing Kane back. If by some small miracle we can move out some of log jam of guys earning 2-4, It opens up alot more room for guys to play and for options on the market.

Reactions: DatsDeking

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If he is good enough to make the team and make it better, there should be no argument from the others. I am assuming Kasper will be on the wings this year, as will Berggren and maybe another forward by the end of the season. Why should having a player drafted the same year as Kasper obtained by trade and earned his lumps elsewhere...piss off any other in-house young player unless he takes a spot from them? (Danielson maybe has a case, but still not the end of the world)

There will be an injection of youth over the next few seasons, there will be a few traded away as the core gets built, the wings have more prospects than slots.
Not saying you are wrong, but convincing me isn't the issue. Take Simon and Berggren for example. Simon was probably ready for the NHL out of camp last year, Berggren played decent the year before in the NHL, but had to go thr AHL route because of a roster crunch. They played their role and did that. To see the org change course and guarantee another prospect a spot can be unsettling.
Are the dudes available at 15 comparable to Rutger? Better? Worse?

If not, I'd offer 15 for Rutger straight up.
I feel like MBN is a decent comparable, a guy many have mocked to us. I feel most on this board would say McGroarty is better and closer to NHL ready.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would definitely consider 15 for McGroarty. He'd fills a need, has developed well, local team if he goes back for another year, and is closer to the NHL than anyone we'd draft this year. This is exactly the kind of deal I'd love for Yzerman to explore if we deal our 1st. Maybe something like 15+ Berggy for McGroarty and Pegs 2nd? This is assuming McGroarty is a NHL spot or bust and Stevie doesn't want two top 6 winger "rookies."

As for Kane, I don't really feel like he fits this team go forward. DBC absolutely looked worse when he was paired with Kane. Everything was telegraphed between the two. Plus DBC + slower Kane is a really hard on their center defensively. I feel like you'd need a prime Jordan Staal type player to make that current iteration work. Putting Larkin in the middle of the two forces him to work down low too much and he has his own injury history troubles. Kane needs to be sheltered at this point in his career and the Wings don't have the players to do that. He cannot engage physically along the boards and he's always been meh defensively. Committing to him past 1 season at a time is a major risk. Maybe worth it to a competing team looking for that piece to put them over the top, but that isn't where the Wings are.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Are the dudes available at 15 comparable to Rutger? Better? Worse?

If not, I'd offer 15 for Rutger straight up.

That's where I'm at. 15 straight up for Rutger. Gets Winni out of a jam, Wings get a player that is more NHL ready.

Let Kane and Perron go, put Burger and Rutger on the roster. Kasper/Mazur can fight it out with Fischer for a roster spot. If they can't beat Fischer, then they belong in GR.

The McGroarty family moved from Nebraska to Michigan before he started playing for USNDTP, the Wings have to be on the top of his list.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Seravalli said on his podcast Rutger is committed to Michigan for next year no matter what happens. Winnipeg seems concerned that they will lose all the leverage they have going into next year if he’s unsigned.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Seravalli said on his podcast Rutger is committed to Michigan for next year no matter what happens. Winnipeg seems concerned that they will lose all the leverage they have going into next year if he’s unsigned.
Well that certainly helps Detroit in this case. Still feels like an extreme long shot (like, this kinda thing just never happens for Detroit), but I guess we can't rule it out, especially if Stevie is actually interested.

....wouldn't Winnipeg be using this same criteria to evaluate if they would accept the trade or not?
Theoretically, because they are lacking some leverage, they may have to settle if they don't get the kind of offer they want. So, I think it's less about whether Winnipeg would take it and more about what are other teams are offering.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
How do you get McGroarty without giving up #15? I don't think Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd is going to get it done.

If we theoretically speaking about Adam Fox situation, Fox was traded for less than Halak, Ryder and 2nd. It does not make sense for Winnipeg to trade McGroarty for 15th, they need improvements now not 3 years down the road.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
How do you get McGroarty without giving up #15? I don't think Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd is going to get it done.
If it meant we could get McGroarty, I would gladly part ways with the mystery box that is pick #15

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imo, McGroarty for 15th is a no-brainer.

He is ~15 pick level prospect, from maybe a slightly stronger draft than this 2024.

He has developed well, and getting equal player with #15 does not quarantee same development.

That value of good development "already in the bank" makes him more valuable pick than anyone from 2024 at #15.

That the incentive for a buyer and his willingness to unsign is the loss for the Jets.

Reactions: Ricelund

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Ottawa with a goalie and a decent off-season also has a good shot of leapfrogging DET in the standings next year.

Might see DET drafting in the top-10 next year if we go into the off-season with Lyon/Husso and planning to promote two or three kids (and not our best ones) onto the roster.

I am not digging this current pattern of teams in our division and conference sucking up top draft, trade, and free agent talent while Detroit stands pat and prays for mid-1sts to beat the odds and become stars.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Ottawa with a goalie and a decent off-season also has a good shot of leapfrogging DET in the standings next year.

Might see DET drafting in the top-10 next year if we go into the off-season with Lyon/Husso and planning to promote two or three kids (and not our best ones) onto the roster.
Absolutely on Ottawa. I know I seen a stat last year and the record they had when they just had league average goaltending was ridiculously good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad