2024-25 RFA UFA speculation/armchair GMing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Ullmark is 30 and going from Boston to Ottawa.... call me crazy, I see at least a bit of regression. He is only signed for a year, so he could walk.. they could sign him immediately also. Have a hard time believing he is going to leave much term or average on the table when he has the Sens over a barrel in terms of negotiating power, going to a weaker team in division and moving to a new country.

Reactions: SoupNazi

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not even the biggest Berggren fan, as you know, and even I'd play him over Kane.
Curious how you justify playing a guy who scored just two goals in 12 games in his second year in pros, over PPG player in Kane. I could understand playing in addition but not in replacement. How do you make up those lost points?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Curious how you justify playing a guy who scored just two goals in 12 games in his second year in pros, over PPG player in Kane. I could understand playing in addition but not in replacement. How do you make up those lost points?
Because he'd score way more than 2 goals in the same roster slot that Kane occupied.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
So what does that leave us with? Gibson? Saros?
lyon.png

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Great deal for Ottawa.
Korpisalo and Kastelic aren’t worth anything.

Pick 25 ? Many back end 1st rounders have been traded at the deadline for worst players than Ullmark! And they get him for a whole year.

If things go sour, they might be able to get more for him at the deadline then what they paid today .

Reactions: flychairman

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Ideally you upgrade elsewhere to balance it out. It’s not exactly Kane vs Berggren, although there’s a ton of overlap there based on play style.

With Berggren it’s about developing a player. Maybe he turns into a nothing journeyman, but if he does turn into a player he’s going to have a lot more value than Kane in 3-4 years, when it will matter more.

Also, even though I suspect Yzerman is not, I’m ok with some regression this coming season, as long as it means we are improving the long-term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ottawa with a goalie and a decent off-season also has a good shot of leapfrogging DET in the standings next year.

Might see DET drafting in the top-10 next year if we go into the off-season with Lyon/Husso and planning to promote two or three kids (and not our best ones) onto the roster.

I am not digging this current pattern of teams in our division and conference sucking up top draft, trade, and free agent talent while Detroit stands pat and prays for mid-1sts to beat the odds and become stars.
There are dozens of ways we could improve this team before the puck drops on opening night next year. Free agency hasn’t happened yet…. Take a breath.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
How do you get McGroarty without giving up #15? I don't think Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd is going to get it done.

We sign Ryder and Halak to trade them. Duh.

Honestly, McGroarty would be an awesome pickup but he holds the leverage. I think he goes for less than the 15th. A late 1st or a 2nd and another prospect.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
So trade Bert, that pick from the trade becomes DeBrincat, pick moves again and become Ullmark. Now Boston has their original pick again. Full circle stuff there.

Red Wings come out of all that wheeling and dealing pretty good you ask me. If Ottawa extends Ullmark, it won't be a total disaster for them.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
So trade Bert, that pick from the trade becomes DeBrincat, pick moves again and become Ullmark. Now Boston has their original pick again. Full circle stuff there.

Red Wings come out of all that wheeling and dealing pretty good you ask me. If Ottawa extends Ullmark, it won't be a total disaster for them.
The Ottawa-Detroit Debrincat trade was a decently fair trade for both teams. It's only bad when you look at what Ottawa paid to acquire DBC.

Ottawa basically traded DBC for Ullmark.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
The Ottawa-Detroit Debrincat trade was a decently fair trade for both teams. It's only bad when you look at what Ottawa paid to acquire DBC.

Ottawa basically traded DBC for Ullmark.
If it is for one year of Ullmark?! No Bueno. Got to believe Ottawa will throw the bag at Ullmark. A repeat of the DeBrincat situation is NOT how that new regime should start things.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ullmark is 30 and going from Boston to Ottawa.... call me crazy, I see at least a bit of regression. He is only signed for a year, so he could walk.. they could sign him immediately also. Have a hard time believing he is going to leave much term or average on the table when he has the Sens over a barrel in terms of negotiating power, going to a weaker team in division and moving to a new country.

He was pretty good in Buffalo before Ottawa, I wouldn't worry about him regressing a whole lot. I think the worry about him walking is way bigger. He spent the past few years in an organization with its head on right and now he's in....Ottawa.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He was pretty good in Buffalo before Ottawa, I wouldn't worry about him regressing a whole lot. I think the worry about him walking is way bigger. He spent the past few years in an organization with its head on right and now he's in....Ottawa.

Say what? Going from playing in front of Lindholm, McAvoy, Gzelcyk, Carlo to playing in front of Zub, Chabot, Chychrun and Sanderson would make anyone not named Hasek regress.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Now it’s time to gear up for our favorite time of year”. Everyone wants to play for Toronto” template the Canadian media uses this time of year. Followed by the, “I guess he really wasn’t interested in playing in Toronto” stories in August.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In fairness, he had good numbers on bad Buffalo teams.
bingo. I don't think Ullmark is going to panic in Ottawa considering what he put up with in Buffalo. His career sv% is .912 and two of his three years weren't crazy off that.

If anything, if he sees more shots in Ottawa, his save% might not get dinged at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad