2024-25 Kraken Roster discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where do we think Schwartz fits in this season? Our top-6 is certain to have Beniers, Stephenson, McCann, Bjorkstrand. I see Burakovsky on Stephenson's line since they would complement each other. I can see Schwartz as 2LW but I think Tolvy is a better choice.

I have no idea what Bylsma thinks, but I expect eventually Schwartz will find his way into a limited minutes role. His body isn't going to hold up to big minutes. As the season goes on Tolvy will eventually play ahead of him.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Oilers fan coming in peace. What do you guys think happens with Will Borgen? He's of course a UFA after this year but doesn't look like he'll ever get a crack at top four duties in Seattle. Could the Oilers pry him loose before the season starts, especially if a younger guy is pushing for a job right now?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oilers fan coming in peace. What do you guys think happens with Will Borgen? He's of course a UFA after this year but doesn't look like he'll ever get a crack at top four duties in Seattle. Could the Oilers pry him loose before the season starts, especially if a younger guy is pushing for a job right now?
You are right. It's unlikely he cracks our top-4. Montour, Larsson, Dunn are guarantees there. I put Evans ahead of Borgen.

That being said, I think it is unlikely we move him before the TDL. And the only way I see even that happening is if the team feels that Mahura can replace his productivity AND someone like Ottavainen is ready for bottom pairing minutes. Which I think is pretty unlikely.

Realistically, I just see him walk next off-season.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You are right. It's unlikely he cracks our top-4. Montour, Larsson, Dunn are guarantees there. I put Evans ahead of Borgen.

That being said, I think it is unlikely we move him before the TDL. And the only way I see even that happening is if the team feels that Mahura can replace his productivity AND someone like Ottavainen is ready for bottom pairing minutes. Which I think is pretty unlikely.

Realistically, I just see him walk next off-season.

I like that your realistic view is that we aren't in the standings position where we'd be selling at the TDL. Not my realism, but I like the positivity. I personally expect us to be sellers and Borgen to fetch a pretty penny.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like that your realistic view is that we aren't in the standings position where we'd be selling at the TDL. Not my realism, but I like the positivity. I personally expect us to be sellers and Borgen to fetch a pretty penny.
I know we won't be buyers at the TDL. But I can see us be sellers if we are not in the playoff race around the TDL.

Moving Borgen and Gourde could both get us a really good return. Borgen is the likeliest to get moved b, but depending on how far out we are in the race, I can see Gourde being moved too. It is likely Francis trys to get him back on a deal similar to Eberle's but I would really like to start opening spots for the kids who are looking more and more ready to step in.

Tanev is another candidate b,ut I doubt he has that many suitors unless he has a really good run and we decide to retain on him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
reminder we have 4k of cap space and can't have a full roster of players and any small minor tiny injury = automatically LTIR.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can see us being sellers, too. I think it is the smart thing to do. With the kids on their way up, I think we have a few players that other teams might value, and I hope we maximize these assets in the form of picking up added draft picks. Borgen and Gourde would certainly be in that category, valuable to a degree but expendable.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can see us being sellers, too. I think it is the smart thing to do. With the kids on their way up, I think we have a few players that other teams might value, and I hope we maximize these assets in the form of picking up added draft picks. Borgen and Gourde would certainly be in that category, valuable to a degree but expendable.
Yep. We need to keep our options open. But Francis needs to make the playoffs this season with how he spent during FA. Unless some of our prospects like Winterton, Morrisson, Lloed, etc. have already beat out the vets, I can see some trades being made. However, a lot of it will also depend on our standings at the TDL in addition to the above. Unless we are not looking competitive at all and completely out of the playoff race, I don't see Francis selling.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
what are the main open question storylines this year as you guys see them?

for example as an outsider at a glance I would suppose the #1 most impt issue is the emergence / establishment of Beniers and Wright as legit anchors. if those two hit their potential it seems like the kraken can be a legit team. but what do you guys see?

I don't know where it ranks on the list for you guys but "how does Montour impact them?" is pretty high on the list for me

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
what are the main open question storylines this year as you guys see them?

for example as an outsider at a glance I would suppose the #1 most impt issue is the emergence / establishment of Beniers and Wright as legit anchors. if those two hit their potential it seems like the kraken can be a legit team. but what do you guys see?

I don't know where it ranks on the list for you guys but "how does Montour impact them?" is pretty high on the list for me

You pretty much covered it.

I don't expect much from Stephenson or most of our other veterans so it's really about Beniers and Wright, and seeing how much of an impact Montour has.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Agree with above comments.

My overarching concern is will we score enough goals to be competitive? Will our centres especially make progress and contribute to the hoped for improvement?

Outside of that, I don't know what I am more concerned/curious about--Wright/Beniers taking big steps forwards or our goaltenders performing at a high enough level for us to make the playoffs. If either of those factors go seriously askew, our chances of making the playoffs go flying out the window. And I am really looking forward to see what impact Montour is going to have on our defensive game. Our top six D are pretty solid--so I want to see what Montour adds to the mix.

Finally, what difference will Bylsma and the new coaching approach make? Can we not back pass our way into the offensive zone the exact same way every power play, for instance, please, please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie and Kevinsane

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
nothing's fine you're torn. you're all out of faith, this is how you feel. you are cold and you are shamed, lying naked on the floor?

there's nothing wrong with two strong PPQBs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad