Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If he was a decent leader he woulda been made a captain already,

He might be likable, and helpful to young players…. But much different than being a good leader. A good vet might be the correct term
Or, one could have the opinion that decent leaders get an A, and only truly exceptional leaders get a C.nobody on the team at the moment is an exceptional leader.

I think fowler should produce more than a couple rookies, I imagine this conversation gets a lot closer this year.

Fowler’s been in the league forever and still questionable defensively.
Fowler was 24th in the league in PPP/G for defensemen. Saying that he brings nothing to the team in that department is nonsense. If anything, they should be giving his other minutes away and increasing the PP time, until the kids actually produce.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It doesnt have to be either/or. Losing Fowler still takes away from the roster with who to replace him? Vaak?

If we're to follow the notion of the podcast, it's gonna be internal and a youth. That means Verbeek will be pushing Luneau to the NHL this year.

2024-25
Minty - Gudas
Dumo - LaCombe
Zell - Luneau
Vaak

Verbeek wasn't lying when he said he wants the older youth (although just a year more experience) to teach the new youth.

2025-26
Minty - LaCombe (?)
Solberg - Luneau
Zell - Gudas

pushing the youths much.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I wonder what we could get for him. I wouldn’t mind some assets that help us move up in the draft next year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Or, one could have the opinion that decent leaders get an A, and only truly exceptional leaders get a C.nobody on the team at the moment is an exceptional leader.

Fowler was 24th in the league in PPP/G for defensemen. Saying that he brings nothing to the team in that department is nonsense. If anything, they should be giving his other minutes away and increasing the PP time, until the kids actually produce.
I have yet to mention Fowler’s production…. So maybe your miss quoting me.

All I’ve said is I’d like the kids to get more experience on the power play, as they are the future.

Getting more reps/chances to form chemistry isn’t a bad thing for the kids

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wonder what we could get for him. I wouldn’t mind some assets that help us move up in the draft next year.
I don’t think he should be moved unless it’s for a piece that is in the NHL or NHL ready. I don’t think more pieces in the 27-28 season do much outside turning us into Buffalo.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don’t claim it as facts, sorry if you took it as facts.

But the post you quoted was pretty accurate.
A little curious why you would want to advocate so strongly for an opinion you admit is not supported by facts. Kind of does the opposite for you.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I have yet to mention Fowler’s production…. So maybe your miss quoting me.

All I’ve said is I’d like the kids to get more experience on the power play, as they are the future.

Getting more reps/chances to form chemistry isn’t a bad thing for the kids
As opposed to your take?
fowler is not the type of guy we need, nor is he good at doing what he is being asked to do right now

Let the kids spread out those mins and gudas and dumolin and potentially guys like hill/maataa fill in when the kids struggle

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I don’t think he should be moved unless it’s for a piece that is in the NHL or NHL ready. I don’t think more pieces in the 27-28 season do much outside turning us into Buffalo.

This is really the scenario. If we can move him for a RHD that will fit our needs and not a pylon 3rd pairing, then you move Fowler.

The correct RHD will be more valuable than Fowler. If you can bring in a top 4, which is much easier said than done, then Fowler is expendable.

John

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is really the scenario. If we can move him for a RHD that will fit our needs and not a pylon 3rd pairing, then you move Fowler.

The correct RHD will be more valuable than Fowler. If you can bring in a top 4, which is much easier said than done, then Fowler is expendable.

John
Yeah, I don't think Fowler brings back a top 4 RHD...they are too rare right now. This just seems like a very odd time for a trade.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, I don't think Fowler brings back a top 4 RHD...they are too rare right now. This just seems like a very odd time for a trade.
There’s nothing that’s indicated that a trade is imminent. One would think it isn’t happening just because.

"What I’ve heard is that Fowler has indicated a willingness to talk to more teams than that and consider more teams than that," Freidman added. "Fowler has a lot of respect around the league. There will be interest. I don’t think anybody will be surprised if some time this season Cam Fowler is elsewhere."

Reactions: tomd

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA

I agree you won’t get a top 4 RHD for Fowler.

But Fowler would be a separate transaction. If you get the RHD for whatever assets we send, then move Fowler for whatever we can get.

My point was not to just move Fowler, but fill a need and then move him. If you can’t get a RHD, keep Fowler.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM and tomd

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So we should not try to improve until we draft a McDavid? How many years will that be?
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I'm very much over being a bottom 5 team. I've been vocal about being disappointed PV wasn't able to improve this team this summer. But that is the sense I get from the people who seem to be okay with it. 10 first rounders, including a 2nd oa 2x 3rd oa and a 6, 9, and 10 isn't enough for some folk I guess.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Minty, Zell, and LaCombe haven't shown they're ready just yet.
Throwing them to the wolves could be detrimental to their progress.

Let them develop at their own pace and earn those minutes.
When, or if, they show they're ready, then you trade away Fowler.

IMO/YMMV.
To me this is simple arithmetic and I don’t get why there’s resistance to it. The kids should absolutely cut in to Fowler’s ice time as they develop but Fowler is the safety net. I.e., you don’t NEED to play these minutes kid, so just relax and get used to the bigger role, versus OMG you’re all we have don’t f*** up. Fowler’s not blocking any kids, he’s the key to giving them bigger roles in a structured way.

It’s just objectively wrong that Fowler sucks and is somehow making the team worse, but even if that were true there’s still intrinsic value in keeping someone who’s used to playing those minutes on the roster. Not anyone can do it, take Gudas’s example from last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad