Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Carlsson is a 1OA quality prospect who just happened to be in the same draft as Bedard. He was 19 and playing as 1C for an NHL team. That is exceptional even though he was being sheltered.

If we didnt "reach" for Carlsson and took Fantilli then Carlsson would be getting a lot more praise from the wider NHL community. Ducks players are always undervalued.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Carlsson is a 1OA quality prospect who just happened to be in the same draft as Bedard. He was 19 and playing as 1C for an NHL team. That is exceptional even though he was being sheltered.

If we didnt "reach" for Carlsson and took Fantilli then Carlsson would be getting a lot more praise from the wider NHL community. Ducks players are always undervalued.
agree with the first part, but fantilli was going to get more of the hype either way. NA prospects always get hyped up more than euros

Reactions: HanSolo and Beckett
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Out of curiosity, if we didn't go scorched earth, where would you see us right now?
That’s not really answerable since so much can go into it. If the point is we’d have had slightly higher picks, sure. My concern with stripping a team to bare bones is that you wind up in a place where the engine cranks but you don’t know if or when it will start because you’ve got a room full of leaderless kids. The risk (risk, I say, not certainty) is that your talent doesn’t develop, on top of which it’s hard to sign the guys you want when you’re ready to stop being terrible. Engine cranks but doesn’t ignite.

Also, people love to forget or discount it but PV wasn’t trying to completely strip the team that first year — he tried and failed to keep Lindholm! He saw the risk too, but didn’t think it was worth offering an 8 year deal to avoid the worst of it. He also seems to have tried and failed to sign some talented leadership this season, but now we’re in the hardest part.

Accumulating young talent is ridiculously easy, all you have to do is get rid of any player older than say 27 who actually makes the team better. But NHL teams aren’t talent aggregators, they’re chemical mixtures. A talented team isn’t necessarily a good one, and IMO scorched earth rebuilds don’t respect that distinction enough.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Celebrini will be better defensively but offensively Carlsson will be better.

I think both will be very good two-way forwards. The difference is that Celebrini is more advanced with his skills than Carlsson is when comparing their same ages. We'll get a better feel of where they stand with Celebrini playing at the NHL this coming season and we can compare their rookie seasons.

2023-24 NCAA top-6 scorers.png

With respect to their draft season
  • Smith D+1
  • Cutter D+2
  • Celebrini D+0
  • Leonard D+1
  • Blake D+3
  • Perreault D+1

Leonard-Smith-Perreault were BC's 2nd line. The next highest Boston U teammate scorer is ranked tied for 11th overall in D Hutson. That's pretty impressive for Celebrini.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I agree with @AngelDuck that Carlsson might have higher upside. Celebrini might be more of a sure bet to hit what could be a lower overall upside though.

It's crazy how Sj might've come out better these past two years than we did. Celebrini is arguably a better prospect than Carlsson and Smith easily a better prospect than Sennecke. kinda insane. Zegs/Mctavish/Minty will all need to step up over the next several seasons. Gauthier and Sennecke are our trump cards.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I agree with @AngelDuck that Carlsson might have higher upside. Celebrini might be more of a sure bet to hit what could be a lower overall upside though.

It's crazy how Sj might've come out better these past two years than we did. Celebrini is arguably a better prospect than Carlsson and Smith easily a better prospect than Sennecke. kinda insane. Zegs/Mctavish/Minty will all need to step up over the next several seasons. Gauthier and Sennecke are our trump cards.
getting a #1 pick certainly speeds things up

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Smith = Zegras

Sennecke = unknown but hopefully better than Zegras. The potential is certainly there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just a reminder that we took Sennecke of what he could be a few years from now, not in his D+1 season :)
Sure Smith might end up better long term, he's great. But I'm perfectly happy and supper excited about Sennecke

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

Yeah they’ve absolutely nailed the last few years draft wise but on the bright side 1) we didn’t need to spend 2 first rounders to get our future starter 2) we didn’t fumble a third overall pick and 3)they’ve been under-the-radar in the basement almost as long as we have

Reactions: Kalv

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah they’ve absolutely nailed the last few years draft wise but on the bright side 1) we didn’t need to spend 2 first rounders to get our future starter 2) we didn’t fumble a third overall pick and 3)they’ve been under-the-radar in the basement almost as long as we have
I think we will be a deeper team but wouldn't be surprised if their top guys reach a higher point offensively. Still Leo is a wildcard, and could very well end up better than all the young guys on both teams.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Grier became their GM on July 5, 2022. Looking at what Grier's done since, it kinda mimics what Verbeek has done. Grier got rid of prime Timo Meier, most of Hertl's contract (17% retained), and Erik Karlsson.

Grier loaded up on prospects and picks from those three players traded and did something the Ducks haven't... win 1st overall pick. (Bastards!) Goalie Askarov was acquired for potentially two, late first rounders: Edstrom (32nd overall) and Vegas' 2025 first round pick (probably another late first round pick). Two, late first round picks for a former #11 pick in G Askarov is a steal. Here's why, the Sharks traded up to #11 (LD Dickinson) in the 2024 draft for the #14 (Pitt's original pick) and #42 (NJ's original pick). They also now have two young, big LD's in 6'3 Dickinson and 6'4 Mukhamadullin.

As for Sennecke, his small game is able to translate to his bigger frame - which makes him so much more dangerous. And he still might grow another inch or two! Once Sennecke's mind got adjusted to his new height in the 2nd half of the season, then everything clicked. Usually, a half-season bump isn't an ideal record, but going from 5'10 to 6'3 in two seasons isn't a normal growth spurt. Madden's philosophy isn't trying to draft who that player is now, but who that player could be into the future. Also, Lindstrom's back issue is a medical issue the Ducks thought was more of a gamble than Sennecke.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think we will be a deeper team but wouldn't be surprised if their top guys reach a higher point offensively. Still Leo is a wildcard, and could very well end up better than all the young guys on both teams.

The more research I do on draft prospects, the more players I end up liking regardless of who drafts them. The Sharks match up well with our depth, especially after this summer of drafting Celebrini and Dickinson along with trading for Askarov. They potentially acquired their 1C, a top-pairing D, and 1G. Depth-wise, the Ducks have better defensive depth, but the Sharks have better forward depth. The kicker for the Ducks is G Clara, since we already have Dostal in tow.

As for the future of the team, it will depend on how each GM will surround their youths with vets to get the right mix.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know it’s just 32 thoughts…. But damn does it feel like Christmas

38E08E1A-5604-4189-9A5A-A085EA68AE6F.jpeg

Gibson ain’t getting moved nor does it make sense, we need someone to be 1b with dostal for another year or 2.

But fowler get him outta here… and Fowler might be willing to go beyond his 4 teams, that’s excellent news

Question is what teams could use cam fowler?

My guess is PV realizes what I realized long ago, there is something toxic about this old core and needs to get rid of the final 2 pieces if we ever want to be relevant again

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Other than Detroit, I could see a team like Winnipeg interested in Fowler. Unfortunately, I don’t think he would accept a trade there.

Detroit is the most obvious team…. I’d have to go through depth charts to figure out other teams that might consider

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Weird that this didn’t come up 2 months ago when other teams had roster flexibility

I don’t think a move is all that feasible for a while here

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Will continue to say this but I’ll be completely shocked if Fowler gets traded. Just don’t see it happening. Gibson is more likely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad