OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies etc…Part VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Nix is pacing 34 ints and zero passing td’s. Which would be the most ever Payton had 27, but where manning was bad he also.
“His career began with a bang – starting all 16 games as a rookie and setting NFL rookie records for completions (326), attempts (575), passing yards (3,739) and touchdown passes (26). His stats only improved from there.”

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don’t watch any other football other than the broncos nowadays. I have no clue how good he is. You’re so quick to talk about this or that being wrong with the team, yet you give nix a pass… we call that blinders

In fact now that nix has gotten a taste to start. They should bench him before he’s 00% a bust
I'm not just giving him a pass, he absolutely needs to get better.

I'm not as hard on him right now because he's a rookie trying to succeed in an extremely difficult league. I knew there were going to be growing pains. Nix has had two bad games in a row now he needs to show that he can rebound with a better game. He has to play better and he knows it.

What pisses me off more are the guys like Sutton, Dulcich, the o-line especially Bolles, and Williams. These are experienced players that know what they need to do to be successful, and they are playing like shit. They have a rookie QB and they've let him down. They've even said so in interviews. They know the way they've played is unacceptable. The whole offense Nix included has to work harder. It's a collective effort if the vets start playing at an appropriate level or it will go a long way towards helping the rookie with his issues.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I hope all the people that are saying Nix sucks are watching the Bears game right now. Williams is doing the same crap as Nix. Bad reads, bad footwork, multiple INTs, no TD passes, no sustained drives. The NFL is f***ing hard, rookie QBs don't typically come in a dominate.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nix through 2 weeks on passes that traveled 10 or more air yards:
6/24, 0 TD, 3 INT
And how many of those has he had a clean pocket to set his feet, or an open WR? There are other factors, it's not all on Nix. He's clearly made some mistakes but o line needs to give him cleaner pockets and WRs need to beat their man. Especially when they are getting 1v1 coverage.

Putting all this on Nix is plain ignorant.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I hope all the people that are saying Nix sucks are watching the Bears game right now. Williams is doing the same crap as Nix. Bad reads, bad footwork, multiple INTs, no TD passes, no sustained drives. The NFL is f***ing hard, rookie QBs don't typically come in a dominate.
1. Show we one person here who is defending how Caleb Williams has played so far. He has been awful.
2. Caleb Williams has an entirely different set of physical tools than Nix. He is drastically more talented which is why he was the #1 overall pick.
3. Williams is two years younger and about half as experienced as far as college football pedigree.

Whatever path Williams takes it will be extremely different from the one Nix takes. Nix was expected to be much more composed, mature, and collected than the comparatively much more raw Williams. Conversely, Williams has physical gifts that Nix cannot and will not learn. So there is more of a reason to expect Williams to improve over time than there is for Nix. Again, this explains why one of them was drafted 1st and one of them wasn't.

And, again, nobody here seems very bullish on Williams. There's every chance he's a bust too. There's just more reason to hope he might not be.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
1. Show we one person here who is defending how Caleb Williams has played so far. He has been awful.
2. Caleb Williams has an entirely different set of physical tools than Nix. He is drastically more talented which is why he was the #1 overall pick.
3. Williams is two years younger and about half as experienced as far as college football pedigree.

Whatever path Williams takes it will be extremely different from the one Nix takes. Nix was expected to be much more composed, mature, and collected than the comparatively much more raw Williams. Conversely, Williams has physical gifts that Nix cannot and will not learn. So there is more of a reason to expect Williams to improve over time than there is for Nix. Again, this explains why one of them was drafted 1st and one of them wasn't.

And, again, nobody here seems very bullish on Williams. There's every chance he's a bust too. There's just more reason to hope he might not be.
Talk about moving goal posts. So it's ok that Williams looks rough because he's younger and has more physical talent. But it's not ok for Nix because he's older and less physically talented.

Not even sure how to evaluate that. Sure Nix has more NCAA starts, who cares? Last I checked NCAA isn't NFL. One would hope that having that NCAA experience would help a little but at the end of the day it means very little since it's a completely different game.

Both guys are rookies, they are absolutely comparable and both are showing how f***ing hard the NFL is for a rookie QB. The only difference was Williams was expected to come in and look good and no one knew if Nix would even start. Now that are both starting they both are struggling in a new league. It's about growing as a player, Nix has just as good a chance to grow his game as Williams. It's not like Nix can't possibly grow as a player.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not sure how you lot can stand the NFL product: Three plays, commercial, kick, commercial, kick return, commercial, play, minor injury, and commercial. What a disaster.
I tape the games, go out and do something productive and then come home and watch it at least an hour after its started. Zip through the commercials and sometimes go ahead 20 seconds after each play and miss the huddle and the useless commentary too. Works like a charm. I'll rewatch some plays here and there but usually just flow through it and then go on NFL+ to watch the All-22 tape because that is very telling on something like how is Nix progressing. Watching for results of plays he chose is a lot less predictive of future talent than seeing what choices he had and then what did he choose.

From my TV viewer perspective today Nix is still not nearly capable of playing at or processing NFL speed. Nothing surprising, this is why rookies suck. The whole thing about NFL players giving tiny windows and having amazing closing speed has to really mess with anyone used to having command of a team in college. Get to the NFL and guys aren't really open, he's got very little experience knowing the speed of his players in routes, and he's gotta worry about defenders not on his guy jumping the play. I get it completely. I think Payton's had him way too under the wraps but at least today I saw a little more on the deeper patterns in the second half, that has to continue. I really don't understand why he doesn't do a designed rollout and then tell Bo to throw the ball as far as he can in the direction of a Sutton or Mims and see if they can make a play. That was the one thing Russ could do and often it was just that, all he had to know is how far to throw it so it becomes a 50/50 ball and his guy has a shot to get it.

For those who have already made up their mind he's not the guy, well good luck finding the guy with that sort of patience. I think there is no way to know about a rookie for at least 5-6 games when they start to adjust to NFL speed. They adjust to NFL defenses making all kinds of complex adjustments. They adjust to just how fast their receivers are and where exactly they need the ball to catch it. If anything, I think the Broncos should use Franklin more just so Bo's got a guy he got that part of the game already down with. He'll get on the same page with the others later.

Reactions: S E P H

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
And that’s because he takes too long to throw and can’t zip the ball in there fast enough. Opposing DBs are able to track his throws with ease.

So…that about does it for this NFL season as far as I’m concerned. On top of all the obvious stuff, Sean Payton has been an abominable coach in two games so far. And if this season ends up being a failure, both Payton and Paton need to be GONE.
What's "failure" mean? If it looks like the Hackett year for sure, heads will roll. I just don't see Payton having guys quit on him or him allowing internal crap to go on. If the team wins 4 or 5 games, I don't know if that would be viewed as a failure. The expectations certainly could not have been high.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Does Payton panic and turn to Stidham or Wilson next week?
The only way either one of those guys see the field this year or next is if Nix is hurt. They finally did what they should have done years ago commit to a rebuild and play a rookie QB. They aren't stupid they know this team has pretty much every hole imaginable. Play a guy and stick with him. If he sucks bad enough for 2 years you get another high pick and try another guy. Rebuilds suck but you have to commit. Payton isn't worried about his job. Maybe if Nix is as bad as some believe he is you can walk away from the next two drafts with Travis Hunter and Manning.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What's "failure" mean? If it looks like the Hackett year for sure, heads will roll. I just don't see Payton having guys quit on him or him allowing internal crap to go on. If the team wins 4 or 5 games, I don't know if that would be viewed as a failure. The expectations certainly could not have been high.
Exactly, not really sure what people were expecting with the Broncos this year. The roster is a joke completely void of true talent, couple that with all the dead space they can't use from the Russ fiasco, throw in a rookie QB and you have a bottom tier team.

Anyone who thought this team would win more than 4 games was setting themselves up to be disappointed. They'll never admit it publicly but they went full rebuild, it's going to be rough for a bit.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
All the other rookie qb’s have also sucked and we still waiting for thrown TD by rookie qb this season.

It’s kind of stupid to try to invent some flaws from Bo’s play when he is still adjusting to the pro game and offence around him isn’t making thing easier for him.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Anyone who thought this team would win more than 4 games was setting themselves up to be disappointed.

I highly doubt they even win 4 games this season..... I would guess 2 at most the way it looks so far.... Pretty ugly... But thats how a full rebuild looks like....

We AVS-Fans know how low it can get.....

Reactions: chet1926

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s a good question. Just depends on if we see any progress. I realize that’s subjective but if it’s a flat-out tank year then both of them should be gone.

Honestly at this point I’m more concerned about Payton than anyone else. I just don’t get his decision making at all this year.

Reactions: lionsDen

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So Bo Nix actually sucks and Denver significantly reached for him in the draft out of desperation.

Shocker.
Nah - Denver just has a bunch of fairweather fans and believe the success of the offense 100% solely depends on the QB. Our fanbase has the most inflated and unrealistic expectations out of the QB position of any teams in the league.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Bo Nix on passes 4 yards or fewer downfield: 21/22
Bo Nix on passes 5 yards or more downfield: 13/42, 4 INT

I watched the game at my local watering hole yesterday. After the end zone interception, the bartender called him Bo Picks.

I admit I laughed just a bit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Some rookie QBs struggle and figure it out later, but there are a number that step in and it is immediately clear they are good. CJ Stroud last season is a shining example. Jayden Daniels is off to a good start this season. The rookies who struggle, you want to see flashes of the talent that made teams draft them. So far, Nix has not shown those flashes. What he's shown is that his downsides may keep him from ever being a capable starter (Bryce. Young as the #1 pick in 23 looks like his downsides will keep him from being that too). This happens, even with top end picks (one that is currently on the Broncos is a perfect example). Sometimes players just don't have it.

On Nix specifically, if you can't stretch the field vertically in the NFL... you better make next to zero actual mistakes. Right now, he can't stretch the field vertically (and does not look to have that skill set)... and he's making massive mistakes. Back in his Auburn days, one of the knocks on him is he tired to hard and that caused a bunch of poor decisions... which lead to turnovers and big negative plays. That tendency is still in his game. There isn't really anything positive to take out of his first two starts.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I highly doubt they even win 4 games this season..... I would guess 2 at most the way it looks so far.... Pretty ugly... But thats how a full rebuild looks like....

We AVS-Fans know how low it can get.....
Exactly this.

They have a rookie QB, a bottom 5 o-line, a bottom 5 RB group, a bottom 5 WR group, a bottom 5 TE group (possibly the worst TE group) on offense.

Probably a mid level defensive line, bottom 10 linebackers, and a mid secondary that gets a huge boost from one player.

Not to mention a dead cap hit from hell.

They might not have said it publicly but this is a full blown rebuild. There are a few bright spots, but overall it's not great. It's going to be bumpy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still doesn't excuse or explain the uproariously dumb and frustrating decisions coming from the coach. I get that he's not exactly got an arsenal of talent at his disposal but his performance has been just as bad, if not worse, than the guys on the field.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Or it's shortsighted to judge a QB after their first season, much less two games,
Exactly how long do we have to pretend we aren't seeing what we're seeing before it becomes okay to point it out?

This idea that he's only being judged based on these two games is silly to begin with. His performances through two games are being judged within the context of his college career, his training camp, his preseason, and every other piece of information we have about him.

13/42 for 4 INT on passes 5 yards or farther downfield.

That is not normal rookie struggles. That is a five alarm five. That is a sign of a catastrophic failure of talent evaluation by the decision makers in this franchise.

• Love

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad