Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That’s because he knows it’s not going to be received well if he says “buckle in fans, I’m tearing it the f*** down.” Of course he’s going to sugarcoat it, he doesn’t owe the fans his true intentions just because he’s at some pancake breakfast or whatever it is called. Plus, just because we’re halfway through a Murray rebuild doesn’t mean Verbeek is required to pick up where Murray left off. It’s Verbeeks rebuild now, and if it fails it’s 100% on him and he has no one to blame but himself.
There are big gaps between being brutally honest sugarcoating it, and creating false expectations. I know of multiple season ticket holders who’ve decided that they’re tired of being misled and dropped their tickets.

I think he gave away what was going to happen this summer with the way he phrased things. I think he was brutally dishonest about pretending not to tank (and giving Eakins a “fair evaluation”) with the Klingberg D Corps, and as to exactly what that was going to mean as far as how much longer the team would remain irrelevant.

I know enough to know what was going on, and that it usually takes 7-10 years from after the tank starts to return to playoff contender (as opposed to playoff bubble) status, but it’s galling how that was glossed over after the language he came in with. Also, the price increase.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Flyers put Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers for buying him out due to "breach of contract". It is believed Johansen says he is injured and the Flyers don't believe him (whatever that means).

Should we take a

Flyer...

on him?

*cue drumroll*

It means…

“Cutter doesn’t want to play for us.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

“Alexei wants to go back to Russia.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

“Ryan says he’s injured.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

Tortorella… Can I get a list of the players I don’t know from a hole in the wall?”

John

Reactions: MCB and Kalv

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Blues fan coming in peace (I swear)

What’s the word with Zegras? Is he available for trade still? Or was that just a bunch of weird media stuff?

The Blues very much need a 2C, and I was curious to see if he’s on the market.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Everyone is always available for the right cost ;). lol in all seriousness hes not..

Fair enough! I’ve just seen stuff here and there about him being moved, and that him and Verbeek didn’t get along.

Despite also being in Southern California, most of my close friends out here who like hockey are Kings fans, so I’m more in tune with their business than the Ducks.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles

What’s the word with Zegras? Is he available for trade still? Or was that just a bunch of weird media stuff?

Weird media stuff. He's not untouchable, but I personally wouldn't think of trading him unless the return was a young gritty stud RD.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Weird media stuff. He's not untouchable, but I personally wouldn't think of trading him unless the return was a young gritty stud RD.

I figured it was that since he hadn’t been moved yet.

That’s completely understandable though! RD is definitely our weakest spot in our talent pool of young players (we only have Jiricek and Kessel), so we probably wouldn’t be able to agree on something we’d both feel comfortable with.

If it was LD and/or FWD prospects+Saad(you do need to stay above the cap floor), I feel like we could come up with something more appealing to both of us.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
If Murray was rebuilding, he would not have held on to Hamphus, Rackell, Manson, and a few other guys (probably should add Gibson to that list and maybe Getz too). He held them too long and the ducks: (i) lost a ton of draft capital; and (ii) remained mediocre for 2+ extra years, thereby delaying the rebuild. I'd also note that the Silf and Henrique contracts were overpays at the wrong time.

The bolded is what I would like to have been a fly on the wall for: before he resigned around Thanksgiving, what was the state of extension talks with those three? Were there any? If there were, what was the level of progress around it? Never heard anything about it (for obvious reasons, the building was airtight around Bob), and we likely will never know, but I remain curious.

Reactions: MCB

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

No one knows forsure.
Here is what we do know:
  • He is 23 with 2 60+ point seasons.
  • Last year he was late to camp, then snake bitten, then injured, then played some of the best hockey in his career.
  • He has only had good things said about his attitude and his work ethic from current and former teammates/coaches.
  • He has never said anything that would make you think he doesn’t want to play in Anaheim long term.

Given all that info, why do you (not YOU exactly but just anyone that entertains the rumors as anything more then clickbait) think the Ducks would want to trade him? The only way it makes sense is if it is a hockey trade for a young physical top pairing RHD.

No amount of futures would make sense for a team like the Ducks that need to be coming out of their rebuild.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
No one knows forsure.
Here is what we do know:
  • He is 23 with 2 60+ point seasons.
  • Last year he was late to camp, then snake bitten, then injured, then played some of the best hockey in his career.
  • He has only had good things said about his attitude and his work ethic from current and former teammates/coaches.
  • He has never said anything that would make you think he doesn’t want to play in Anaheim long term.

Given all that info, why do you (not YOU exactly but just anyone that entertains the rumors as anything more then clickbait) think the Ducks would want to trade him? The only way it makes sense is if it is a hockey trade for a young physical top pairing RHD.

No amount of futures would make sense for a team like the Ducks that need to be coming out of their rebuild.

These exact reasons are why I wanted to come here and ask lol. It always seemed ridiculous to think you guys would trade him, but he would’ve 100% been my first choice if actually available.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Fair enough! I’ve just seen stuff here and there about him being moved, and that him and Verbeek didn’t get along.

Despite also being in Southern California, most of my close friends out here who like hockey are Kings fans, so I’m more in tune with their business than the Ducks.
this is not the case. it's a preconceived notion that some media people started and just rolled with without any actual evidence.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
There are big gaps between being brutally honest sugarcoating it, and creating false expectations. I know of multiple season ticket holders who’ve decided that they’re tired of being misled and dropped their tickets.

I think he gave away what was going to happen this summer with the way he phrased things. I think he was brutally dishonest about pretending not to tank (and giving Eakins a “fair evaluation”) with the Klingberg D Corps, and as to exactly what that was going to mean as far as how much longer the team would remain irrelevant.

I know enough to know what was going on, and that it usually takes 7-10 years from after the tank starts to return to playoff contender (as opposed to playoff bubble) status, but it’s galling how that was glossed over after the language he came in with. Also, the price increase.
Totally agree, it’s annoying as a fan to not be able to take what he says at face value, but at the end of the day he doesn’t owe the fans a straight answer. I don’t think the Samueli’s would have been too happy with him if he told all the season ticket holders that he was planning to go scorched earth, so prepare to watch a lottery contention team for the next 3-5 years. Is it shitty for the fans? Yes, but I get why he wouldn’t be honest on the rebuild part. The rest, like him saying he’s going to get a top6 forward and top 4 D is definitely something that we fans should be annoyed at and rightfully so. I’m not absolving him of full blame, but put in the same position I’m probably pretty coy with the fans if I’m planning a full tear down. Now that also begs to question if he knew that was the plan, or if he actually saw how the team was built when he came and thought we were actually on the course to contention. We can only speculate.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I’d say if a team wants to pay the price(and we’re talking a pretty big price) he could be had.

I really don’t know a trade that would make sense for both sides involving zegras.

Personally I still think he is our best offensive player, and I think his defensive game is no where near as bad as his haters want to make it out to be. I think he should be part of the core moving forward. Hoping he is a duck for a long time and proves his haters wrong…. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if he’s moved at some point over next 2 years

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Some think a rebuild is must only be a complete teardown.

People think this because it is most often true. In the cap era where teams cannot simply spend unlimited dollars, It is virtually impossible to accumulate substantial elite (or generational) talent without having multiple consecutive years of high drafts picks. Even with a tear down, it takes luck, as evidenced by the ducks missing out on both Sydney Crosby and Bedard.

Murray kept peeing in the wind and it cost the ducks several years of drafting elite talent. That was potentially the difference between Trevor Zegras and Jack Hughes. Or arguably resulted in them getting Drysdale instead of Byfield or Sanderson.

Its fair and appropriate to acknowledge scouting acumen (and luck) by saying that Murray and his staff drafted well given their draft position. However, that doesn't change the fact that had Murray done a proper tear down: (i) the ducks would have had additional first round picks and other draft capital; and (ii) the ducks would have drafted higher (and had a chance at better players).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
At the risk of having a certain poster rush in to defend Murray, I have to say this is simply not true. You can't rebuild without tearing it down.

If Murray was rebuilding, he would not have held on to Hamphus, Rackell, Manson, and a few other guys (probably should add Gibson to that list and maybe Getz too). He held them too long and the ducks: (i) lost a ton of draft capital; and (ii) remained mediocre for 2+ extra years, thereby delaying the rebuild. I'd also note that the Silf and Henrique contracts were overpays at the wrong time.
That's simply not true. It's just the common trope thrown around online. The Ducks didn't tear everything down and still got 3 top 10 picks including a 3rd overall. BM wasn't really trying to make the team better, he was letting the team bottom out naturally without voiding the team of higher end talent like Lindholm. I mean it's not like PV traded away all that many players, it was just 3 guys with key roles.
Killorn, Strome, Gudas, Vatrano, Fowler are all support. They're all veterans who are solid to good players and provide leadership. Yes, it's good strategy. Whether the execution is good remains to be seen.
I like those players and all good compliments. What we dont have is a player(s) like a Getzlaf that can teach the young guys not just how to be pros but how to be stars. How to handle the stress, the extra exposure, the extra attention from the other team, manage point droughts not to mention taking some pressure off the kids having to produce. Not all of it obviously, one guy can't do that but it can certainly help.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
That's simply not true. It's just the common trope thrown around online. The Ducks didn't tear everything down and still got 3 top 10 picks including a 3rd overall. BM wasn't really trying to make the team better, he was letting the team bottom out naturally without voiding the team of higher end talent like Lindholm. I mean it's not like PV traded away all that many players, it was just 3 guys with key roles.

I like those players and all good compliments. What we dont have is a player(s) like a Getzlaf that can teach the young guys not just how to be pros but how to be stars. How to handle the stress, the extra exposure, the extra attention from the other team, manage point droughts not to mention taking some pressure off the kids having to produce. Not all of it obviously, one guy can't do that but it can certainly help.
The guy you wanted then was Stamkos. The Ducks offered him the most money. He turned it down. Marchessault could have been that guy. He also turned it down.

What other star of the caliber and sort you're looking for was available this offseason that the Ducks could have gotten? Laine is not exactly a Getzlaf "show the kids how to play the game" type. None come to mind, but perhaps I'm forgetting someone.

I think Killorn and Gudas are those guys. No, they're not as good as Getzlaf or Stamkos, but they've been around, they've won, and they're good, veteran players. They can help the kids take that next step.

I would have loved Stamkos or Marchessault. They chose somewhere else. If a trade that makes sense materializes, I'm all about it, but I'm looking forward to seeing the kids take over and become a solid team.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
:laugh::laugh:

Well the girl I’ve been seeing as of recently is a Ducks fan, so I’ll probably be at more games.
Just tell everyone you meet how Perron was a great player and you'll hit it off well. We loved him as a Duck. It's too bad we couldn't offer him enough to lure him out of his desire to return to St. Louis cause he had such good chemistry with Getzlaf that basically Perry was the only one ever to beat that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It means…

“Cutter doesn’t want to play for us.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

“Alexei wants to go back to Russia.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

“Ryan says he’s injured.” Briere… “I don’t believe him.”

Tortorella… Can I get a list of the players I don’t know from a hole in the wall?”

John
Dlyers sure seems to have a lot of problems happening to them. More often than not it's a sign of something :) we'll see soon enough, but so far it's not looking nice for Philly

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Just tell everyone you meet how Perron was a great player and you'll hit it off well. We loved him as a Duck. It's too bad we couldn't offer him enough to lure him out of his desire to return to St. Louis cause he had such good chemistry with Getzlaf that basically Perry was the only one ever to beat that.
I think he wanted to stay but we were at the cap and had to resign rakell and lindholm . Would have loved to keep him as he was so good and somehow got even better every time he went back to saint Louis

Reactions: ohcomeonref

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Spittin Chiclets interviewed Verbeek but haven’t released it yet. Looking forward to that one and would love to hear him make some comments on Zegras. Should be coming next two weeks id think.
I'm honestly pretty surprised Verbeek would do that, but good for him. Can you imagine Murray doing an interview with them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad