Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
6% is 6%. You can act like it’s nothing all you want, but it isn’t. No one is saying it’s the main reason high profile players don’t come here. But it IS one of many factors
Of course it is. Just like the weather, chance to win, teamates, coach, where their wife wants to live, etc.

Reactions: Kalv

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I just dont understand how the Kings have been able to sign so many FA's these last couple of years when taxes are so high in California.

Are they doing something illegal or what?
No, like many here are saying, the taxes aren't as big of a deal as some are making them out to be. Players aren't signing with the Ducks because we're not competitive and we haven't shown signs of turning the corner yet. But the Kings have been competitive in the past couple years.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
No, like many here are saying, the taxes aren't as big of a deal as some are making them out to be. Players aren't signing with the Ducks because we're not competitive and we haven't shown signs of turning the corner yet. But the Kings have been competitive in the past couple years.
That and im sure there is some under the table deals going on.. Kings Franchise is shady af

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

@Sniperberg was being sarcastic. At least, that was how I interpreted it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
f50ecd46-6797-4f14-92ba-055991b81f30_text.gif

I know kylington is smaller and another LD, but I wouldn't mind signing him as our number six and moving Lacombe for a forward.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I don't know about US taxation system, but in all honesty: the average of taxation in Germany is around 45% and with so-called "progression", people might even pay up to 70% in taxes. I know for a fact that I had some 57% deductions in taxes due to double-taxing on Christmas benefits a few years ago. So, what exactly is the problem with Cali taxes and why are people so obsessed with it?

• Wow
Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I don't know about US taxation system, but in all honesty: the average of taxation in Germany is around 45% and with so-called "progression", people might even pay up to 70% in taxes. I know for a fact that I had some 57% deductions in taxes due to double-taxing on Christmas benefits a few years ago. So, what exactly is the problem with Cali taxes and why are people so obsessed with it?
Taxation rates differ significantly by states. Florida for example doesn't have any state taxes, so they only have a federal portion to pay.

If you want to talk about how higher tax is supposed to translate to better standards of living for the average person living in that state due to more spending by the state government on things like infrastructure, that's a different discussion.

If you want to talk about how the above actually manifests itself in reality, that's also a different discussion.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This is OT for the Ducks, but I wonder if Florida made any attempt to sign Marchessault instead of Reinhart.

While there is a significant age difference, there is also a significant salary difference.

I’m thinking the Marchessault pedigree of hard nose play would fit in well with the Maurice led Cats.

John

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Podkolzin would be another target for me. Id be kind of surprised if he is on Vancouver's roster to start the year.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Outside of Danault, have the Kings really made any notable free agent signings recently? Almost all of their significant acquisitions have been through trades.

The PLD extension is the only thing close. And that disaster would indicate the Kings are no longer a destination.

The Kings drafted well and made stellar trades at right time. Not sure if a Gabotik or Carter types are walking through that door; and they were trades. I think they did well with their re-signings and extensions when they were on top.

In some ways I think Blake was trying to pull a Lombardi when we got an underperforming PLD.

John

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know kylington is smaller and another LD, but I wouldn't mind signing him as our number six and moving Lacombe for a forward.

I'd like to hold onto LaCombe for at least another season so he can improve his draft capital if we're planning on trading him. His first year in the NHL doesn't show much on the surface when taken as a whole. In doing the splits, LaCombe improved throughout the season, both offensively and defensively.

LaCombe2023-24
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksComments
Total7121517-2450129Total
1 to 2020033-1618281st pair for 14 games
21 to 4020044-714411st to 3rd pair
41 to 71312810-118601st to 3rd pair

The better the draft capital, the better the return ... or the fewer assets needed to move for the return. Plus, it's not likely we're going to be making huge waves to be in the playoffs. We're entering year 3 of the Verbeek reset rebuild.

Reactions: 70sSanO

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd like to hold onto LaCombe for at least another season so he can improve his draft capital if we're planning on trading him. His first year in the NHL doesn't show much on the surface when taken as a whole. In doing the splits, LaCombe improved throughout the season, both offensively and defensively.

LaCombe2023-24
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksComments
Total7121517-2450129Total
1 to 2020033-1618281st pair for 14 games
21 to 4020044-714411st to 3rd pair
41 to 71312810-118601st to 3rd pair

The better the draft capital, the better the return ... or the fewer assets needed to move for the return. Plus, it's not likely we're going to be making huge waves to be in the playoffs. We're entering year 3 of the Verbeek reset rebuild.
I am not a proponent of trading LaCombe but there’s no certainly no guarantee he’d be worth more next year than he is right now, particularly if he finds himself getting into less games

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I am not a proponent of trading LaCombe but there’s no certainly no guarantee he’d be worth more next year than he is right now, particularly if he finds himself getting into less games
This is honestly why I would be fine with trading him now. I just don’t see him being able to increase his value with all of the guys in front of him. It’s possible, but not likely IMO.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is honestly why I would be fine with trading him now. I just don’t see him being able to increase his value with all of the guys in front of him. It’s possible, but not likely IMO.
His chance will be injuries. He will have an opportunity to take a job, but I will be surprised if he is able to do that at this stage of his development.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think we typically have so many injuries on defense, that I would prefer to keep LaCombe for this season. Even if he's not part of our future plans.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah I wouldn’t mind if they just kept him for depth and figure if they eventually have to put him on waivers (or sell him at a reduced price to avoid losing to waivers) then so be it but if they want to move him for a forward now I wouldn’t be opposed

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
What sucks about trading him is that he chose to sign with us despite having the option not to. I understand it's the way of the business, but kinda sucks for college guys like Moore and Colengelo to see that.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
yeah, boo hoo poor guy is only making 200k a game. how can they live off that!?
A professional athlete has a very limited earning window. Football contracts are not even guaranteed for injury. And often the post career earning potential is very limited. Armstead needs to earn enough money now to live and support a family for 40 years. So the “how can he live off that” take shows a complete lack of understanding.

And for an athlete, you also have to account for agent/management fees and other costs likes trainers, etc. So the $200k number isn’t even that.
I went round and round with a friend in Georgia on this. I had to work the numbers and even then he had trouble believing me. But due to the difference in income tax structure, a married couple paid more state income tax in Georgia than California until their taxable income exceeded $150,000 per year. The difference was that Georgia had a flat tax rate in excess of $10,000 per year income whereas California has a progressive tax rate, where the initial tax bracket starts well above $10,000 per year. The sales tax and property tax rates were not significantly different between the two states.

So for regular earners do not just assume that California taxes are high, or even higher than in other states. Check everything in the tax structure carefully, and you might be surprised.

Now, California does have higher property values. That may impact the cost of living. But then you don’t need heavy winter clothes, and you don’t need to winterize either your car or your house. So put a lot of effort into calculating the true cost of living in comparable areas.
$150k is coastal California is very different than most parts of Georgia. Everything is more expensive here starting with mortgage/rent and including energy costs. For a family of 4, $150k goes much further in most places outside of CA.

While California taxes are high, and I do think our state leaders waste too much of our dollars, every state gets what it needs. Or they cut back on services.

If a state has no income tax, they are getting it from property, sales, or anywhere else.

For players it is moot since most are not long term residents. But for CA residents, especially long term, Prop 13 keeps property tax increases in check.

Most states re-assess based on current value. For long term residents they pay on an unrealized monetary increase in their home value.

John
Prop 13 is a red herring. It primarily benefits old people and their children who inherit - not anyone buying a house today. It is a senior entitlement. Also generally most property taxes go to local authorities, not the state (or to the state and then back to local communities for schools).

Yes - states w/o income tax have to generate money in other ways. Typically this is business taxes or other types of fees (transfer taxes for real estate is a major one in Florida, for example). But the biggest difference is spending. California’s state budget dwarfs other states which necessitates the higher taxes. The CA budget/spending is roughly twice per capita than Texas and Florida. That may be a good thing - depending on priorities/politics/etc. I’m trying my best not to be political - it may be a good thing. But that reality drives taxes.

As others have pointed out, the US tax system is different because each state has a different system. Also some cities have income taxes (e.g, New York City). I’d also point out that in many “high tax countries” things like healthcare and college/advanced education are free (not sure about Germany, but this is the case in much of Europe). That is not the case in the US. So it is not just a matter of the overall tax rate but also what services are being provided.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What sucks about trading him is that he chose to sign with us despite having the option not to. I understand it's the way of the business, but kinda sucks for college guys like Moore and Colengelo to see that.
At the same time, I’m sure he’d rather play than not play so if we move him to a team that sees him as a regular when we were leaning towards him being a frequent scratch or in the AHL I doubt he’ll be too upset

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Prop 13 is a red herring. It primarily benefits old people and their children who inherit - not anyone buying a house today. It is a senior entitlement. Also generally most property taxes go to local authorities, not the state (or to the state and then back to local communities for schools).

Yes it is more beneficial to those who are older and bought a house many years ago. But in states that base property taxes on current values some seniors are getting killed and can’t afford to stay in their homes. Is it fair to tax on an unrealized value? Sorry, you have to move because your neighbors sold their houses.

But it does benefit people who buy today and stay in their house as they age. The house may not have the same percentage appreciation over the next 30 years than the last 30 so the benefit is less.

FWIW, our daughter may not be happy about the amount of property tax she has to pay, but she is happy about the Prop 13 limits; and she is far from retiring.

As for athletes, all of this is moot; unless they retire here.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad