Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
It's totally understandable that players like March or Stamkos would prefer to play on teams closer to winning at their age. The taxes thing is way overblown. It's a bummer but, based on PV's comments the other night, it seemed like he knew this outcome and we shouldn't be surprised. Most of the deals were ridiculous. I don't want those players at age 38.

The Ducks are still below the cap and they obviously need to do something. A trade is the only option. PV's targets were for clear: a top 6 forward. I expect to see him trade for one. Laine makes a lot of sense as a buy low candidate. I've come around.
Actually, I have too. Whatever his baggage, he can score goals and help us win, and that’s what our young payers need to earn most - how to win!:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There's been mention of the fact that part of the improvement expected from the team needs to come from the young guys we already have showing improvement. I agree with that 1,000%. What hasn't bee mentioned much at all is that development and growth are highly impacted by good coaching. It is seriously incumbent on Cronin and co. to help get the best out of those guys by not only developing and teaching them, but utilizing them properly . Quite frankly all of that worries me a lot. Especially listening to many of Cronin's post game interviews where he seemed clueless as to why we were bad again that night.

At the end of the season PV commented how the the change in coaching/systems was a big deal and the process was like players were drinking out of a fire hose. My take was that he more or less implied that the huge learning curve was now behind those guys and we could expect to see better results going forward. But, nothing in their play at the end of season looked to me like they had figured anything out nor had they started turning anything around.

Hoping for the best but worried we could be in for another season of wash, rinse, repeat if the coaching itself doesn't show improvement.

infected13

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2005
Orange County, CA
I think with all the free agent talk it's overshadowed the fact that we are still without a defensive assistant coach. I think that will be one of the biggest factors to the ducks success next year as well as some improvements to strength and conditioning coaching so we can hopefully mitigate some injuries next season.

Would be interesting to see who is on GMPV and Cronins lists to take that position.

Reactions: Kalv

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think with all the free agent talk it's overshadowed the fact that we are still without a defensive assistant coach. I think that will be one of the biggest factors to the ducks success next year as well as some improvements to strength and conditioning coaching so we can hopefully mitigate some injuries next season.

Would be interesting to see who is on GMPV and Cronins lists to take that position.
I’m not sure who’s in charge of what, but I would think (hope?) guys should have been sent off with tailored plans on what they should be working on to get better, at least most of the young guys. So if we were weak in that area last year, then everybody is on their own this summer. I hope it’s not that way, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

infected13

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2005
Orange County, CA
I’m not sure who’s in charge of what, but I would think (hope?) guys should have been sent off with tailored plans on what they should be working on to get better, at least most of the young guys. So if we were weak in that area last year, then everybody is on their own this summer. I hope it’s not that way, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was.
My understanding is because of the union and CBA, the clubs can't force the players to do anything during the off season, they can't even organize practices for them. Anything the players during the off season prior to training camp in on their own accord.

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
My understanding is because of the union and CBA, the clubs can't force the players to do anything during the off season, they can't even organize practices for them. Anything the players during the off season prior to training camp in on their own accord.

They can’t force them to do anything, but they can give a suggestion as to what training and what nutrition they should be doing over the summer. It’s up to the players to do it or not, it just can’t be team organized or bullied.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There's been mention of the fact that part of the improvement expected from the team needs to come from the young guys we already have showing improvement. I agree with that 1,000%. What hasn't bee mentioned much at all is that development and growth are highly impacted by good coaching. It is seriously incumbent on Cronin and co. to help get the best out of those guys by not only developing and teaching them, but utilizing them properly . Quite frankly all of that worries me a lot. Especially listening to many of Cronin's post game interviews where he seemed clueless as to why we were bad again that night.

At the end of the season PV commented how the the change in coaching/systems was a big deal and the process was like players were drinking out of a fire hose. My take was that he more or less implied that the huge learning curve was now behind those guys and we could expect to see better results going forward. But, nothing in their play at the end of season looked to me like they had figured anything out nor had they started turning anything around.

Hoping for the best but worried we could be in for another season of wash, rinse, repeat if the coaching itself doesn't show improvement.
How much do we buy the firehose thing? How long does it reasonably take to adjust to a new coach’s style? A season is 7 months long, including the preseason, which is a long time to adjust to a new voice.

Reactions: snowave

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA

Thompson is still coaching defense is he not?

Reactions: ADHB

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Brent Thompson was the defensive assistant last year, and he’s still here. Craig Johnson was the other assistant let go in addition to Brown.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Goalie Coach Sudsie was promoted to a new role and isn't going to be the goalie coach, iirc. That means David Rook becomes our new goalie coach; he was our assistant goalie coach hired from last year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Oh, I realize they can’t force anything. But providing specific training tips for players new to the league should be a routine part of player development. After that it’s up to the player to do with it what they please. Not everybody wants to follow the Max Comtois path to success.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
How much do we buy the firehose thing? How long does it reasonably take to adjust to a new coach’s style? A season is 7 months long, including the preseason, which is a long time to adjust to a new voice.
Well, I guess in some ways I’m a bit like Cronin. I really don’t know what to think. I do feel like injuries all year long had a big impact on the season. At the same time it would have been nice to see some improvement in the team even if it came with losses. But I don’t feel like the team looked any more cohesive at the end of the year even with a full season of learning under their belts. Where and how did the firehose come in? Who knows.

If the team can just stay healthy next year I expect to see improvement. Being a .500 team should not be out of the question. Aside from health the next question would seem to be what was Cronin trying to teach them and did any of it sink in. I guess we’ll have to stick around and find out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I reaaaaaaaaly hope this'd mean Trent is coming back, but I also understand that's a lot of hopium on my side :laugh:

Reactions: Boo Boo

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think Budaj is technically Slovak but still probably good for Dostal. Wonder if he was hired with that in mind.
I doubt it. It's probably as simple as he was the goaltending coach for Colorado's AHL team when Cronin was there.

Wonder what happened to David Rook? There was never any mention of him leaving or being let go, but he's obviously not on the staff anymore.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I doubt it. It's probably as simple as he was the goaltending coach for Colorado's AHL team when Cronin was there.

Wonder what happened to David Rook? There was never any mention of him leaving or being let go, but he's obviously not on the staff anymore.

Rook and Stothers are no longer listed in the NHL club front office. Stothers is listed under the Gulls' staff though.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

So, they broke McTavish. Zegras, and Drysdale in preseason.

Maybe a garden hose instead of a fire hose this time.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

And they were trying to break Minty and Carlsson during the season.

Verbeek to his youths, "It's just a flesh wound."

Verbeek to Mac, "I know we put you on a boot yesterday, but put some Robitussin on your leg and get onto the ice today!"

images

Reactions: Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

That soon? Certainly makes me feel a lot better about moving him, not that I was ever against that trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad