Post your most Searing Football Hot Takes

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Pretty self explanatory thread, post your most searing hot footballing takes here. Feel free to debate/challenge what others have posted.

I'll start: We will see another Messi before we ever see another Ronaldinho.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Michael Carrick had a better and far more instrumental role in United’s 12/13 PL title than RVP and is one of the most underrated seasons in general.

Reactions: Gecklund

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
i wouldn't call myself a hot take machine, but i have a few that i guess could be considered hot

- nicolas jackson is a top 5 striker in the premier league
- prime ozil > prime kdb
- no player other than hazard even has an argument for "premier league player of the 2010s"
- neymar was closer to cr7 than cr7 ever was to messi, and his injury troubles at psg made people forget just how good he was
- arjen robben should've won the 2014 WC golden ball and subsequently the 2014 ballon d'or

Michael Carrick had a better and far more instrumental role in United’s 12/13 PL title than RVP and is one of the most underrated seasons in general.
ehhh, people were saying this at the time. not that hot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For me the best were the 82-94 stretch.
Too bad some of those finals sucked (90 and 94).

Also the 2018 was nice.
And the 2022 had the most memorable final. What a thrill!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
- prime ozil > prime kdb
- no player other than hazard even has an argument for "premier league player of the 2010s"
- neymar was closer to cr7 than cr7 ever was to messi, and his injury troubles at psg made people forget just how good he was
- arjen robben should've won the 2014 WC golden ball and subsequently the 2014 ballon d'or
Not hot to me I agree with all of these.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not hot to me I agree with all of these.
f***ed up that you excluded the Nico Jackson one LOL

For me the best were the 82-94 stretch.
Too bad some of those finals sucked (90 and 94).

Also the 2018 was nice.
And the 2022 had the most memorable final. What a thrill!
2018 is comfortably the best WC or Euro since I've been watching actively (2010)

• Haha
Reactions: Evilo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
About Jackson I don't have an opinion, that's why I excluded it.
I'd have to rank EPL strikers first.
Haaland, Isak and Watkins are way better IMO.
After that it's arguable.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
About Jackson I don't have an opinion, that's why I excluded it.
I'd have to rank EPL strikers first.
Haaland, Isak and Watkins are way better IMO.
After that it's arguable.
those 3 are unambiguous. but i think you have a hard time coming up with a bunch above him after that! most teams these days are getting their goals from wide!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wow that WC was dreadful.
The football was mediocre, I'll admit to that. There was just something about the atmosphere that really resonated with me. I don't know, maybe it was the vuvezuehlas.

The best World Cup for me was 2006
Thinking about it more 22 is actually my fav because Canada was actually there, but taking that out of consideration it would be 10 for me.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
f***ed up that you excluded the Nico Jackson one LOL

2018 is comfortably the best WC or Euro since I've been watching actively (2010)
Objectively WC18 was great. Subjectively no USA no party.

My very tepid take is that most people’s favorite tournament is either one where their team did very well or the first one they watch after falling in love with football. People look back nostalgically at a tournament where they’ve forgotten the boring games and no other tournament can live up to the idealized version of that first one.

To that end, 2014 was the best because not only was I in the UK for it and in Germany for the final weekend, but it was the first tournament where I watched every match.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I disagree.

86 was the one I watched the most as a kid, but there are objective reasons for it being the best :

- some exciting teams like Denmark, USSR, Belgium, Brazil and France
- Drama in the Argentina/England game with the hand of god
- the best goal in WC history (Maradona, same game)
- a tremendous final with 5 goals
- what is seens by most as the best WC game ever in the QF (France/Brazil)
- several of the best players to ever play the game being present (Zico, Platini, Maradona, Scifo, Valdano, Giresse, Tigana, Papin, Socrates, Careca, Cesar, Ceulemans, Larsen, Voller, Laudrup, Lineker, Matthaus, Branco, Butragegno, Rummenige, Belanov, Altobelli, Forster and I'm probably forgetting plenty of them) although some played injured (Platini and Zico). All are likely top 100-150 of all time.
- getting rid of the different time games because of Germany/Austria in the previous WC
- Morocco being the first african team to get out of the group stage, finishing on top of England, Poland and Portugal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The EPL isn’t as bad as its reputation. Yes it is horribly run, officiating is laughable, the atmosphere is stale, and tickets are hilariously overpriced.

But the dearth of good defenses or coaches makes the football ok to watch if you can get over the sloppiness.

Reactions: Gecklund

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Messi is only great because of the PED's he was prescribed from the age of 9. We never would have heard of him without them. Ain't no 4'9'' superstars

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
My hot take may be the hottest and it’s one I’ve had for over a quarter of a century now-
R9 was/is overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad