Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why the f*** would the Avs trade for Gibson AND Fowler?
The rationale for me is simple:

- Gets the Avs a similar defensman to Girard who is a bit bigger
- Gets the Avs their best shot at a really good goaltender. Yes, there's huge risk given his play the last several years but you aren't going to find a good-to-great goalie available league-wide.
- Allows the Avs to not only jettison Georgiev but Wood as well, and if the Ducks were willing to retain on Fowler or Gibson it could give the Avs the necessary cap space to bring Landeskog and Nichushkin back without issues.

Obviously it's a massive trade that is far-fetched but in an ideal world for me personally:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Landeskog - Colton - Kovalenko
Kelly - Ivan - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Fowler - Manson
Ludvig - Malinski

Gibson
Kahkonen

With a deadline deal or two to shore up the 4th line/3rd pair would be unreal GMing.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
My two thoughts are blackwood+Ferraro so our defense could be -wood -georgie
Toews Makar
Girard Manson
Ferraro Malinski

Or blackwood+dellandrea -colton -Georgie
Use dellandrea as 3c

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My two thoughts are blackwood+Ferraro so our defense could be -wood -georgie
Toews Makar
Girard Manson
Ferraro Malinski

Or blackwood+dellandrea -colton -Georgie
Use dellandrea as 3c

Blackwood IMO would not be worth getting unless he were the #2 and even then I wouldn't be thrilled about it. On top of not being a legit starter, Blackwood is horribly injury prone.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The rationale for me is simple:

- Gets the Avs a similar defensman to Girard who is a bit bigger
- Gets the Avs their best shot at a really good goaltender. Yes, there's huge risk given his play the last several years but you aren't going to find a good-to-great goalie available league-wide.
- Allows the Avs to not only jettison Georgiev but Wood as well, and if the Ducks were willing to retain on Fowler or Gibson it could give the Avs the necessary cap space to bring Landeskog and Nichushkin back without issues.

Obviously it's a massive trade that is far-fetched but in an ideal world for me personally:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Landeskog - Colton - Kovalenko
Kelly - Ivan - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Fowler - Manson
Ludvig - Malinski

Gibson
Kahkonen

With a deadline deal or two to shore up the 4th line/3rd pair would be unreal GMing.
Fowler's always been a weird one. Despite being a really productive blueliner his underlying numbers have always been horrific.

1729101049367.png

*cue Hasbro coming off the top rope with STATWHACKERS tattooed on his forehead*

Part of this is, of course, exaggerated a bit because of the respective teams each guy is on, but I just don't think Fowler works unless you can shelter the shit outta him, and the Avs can't do that.

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Fowler's always been a weird one. Despite being a really productive blueliner his underlying numbers have always been horrific.

View attachment 917357

*cue Hasbro coming off the top rope with STATWHACKERS tattooed on his forehead*

Part of this is, of course, exaggerated a bit because of the respective teams each guy is on, but I just don't think Fowler works unless you can shelter the shit outta him, and the Avs can't do that.
I think the Avs can absolutely shelter Fowler. If you pair him with Manson and you ensure he's on the ice with Mittelstadt's line or Landeskog's line should he return, he'd have great defensive forwards assisting him.

It's a swing-for-the-fences move to try winning more cups over the next 2 seasons.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Avs can absolutely shelter Fowler. If you pair him with Manson and you ensure he's on the ice with Mittelstadt's line or Landeskog's line should he return, he'd have great defensive forwards assisting him.

It's a swing-for-the-fences move to try winning more cups over the next 2 seasons.
If anything, Sammy has had to shelter Manson the last season-plus.

But hell, I'll take anything at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Gibson is probably the only non-George/3G goalie type out there (he's arguably in that same headcase mold too, but ignoring that). I honestly wouldn't mind grabbing him. It would be against what the Avs have done unless they get significant retention on him. Which would cost quite a bit.

I don't think Fowler is an upgrade on G either, so I'd probably eliminate that.

George + 2nd + rando prospect for Gibson (50%) would be highly intriguing... risky too. If Gibson got back in form, he's a top 5-10 goalie talent. There are signs the dude is just getting hammered in specific areas where a lot of goalies would struggle... also signs that he may have just lost his game.

I think the Avs wait this out though... wait for a Binnington type to come on the market. Or if that type doesn't come up, they go with somebody like a Blackwood.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've always maintained that ALL goalies are headcases to an extent, hell, even a few of the ones I played with in B-level youth hockey were nutjobs.

I think they've gotta do something though. They're simply not a good enough team to bury themselves by December like Edmonton did and then just explode once the calendar turns to make it all the way to the Final. If nothing else, they have to find a worthwhile #2, and deal with whatever fallout takes place with Georgiev after that.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I've always maintained that ALL goalies are headcases to an extent, hell, even a few of the ones I played with in B-level youth hockey were nutjobs.

I think they've gotta do something though. They're simply not a good enough team to bury themselves by December like Edmonton did and then just explode once the calendar turns to make it all the way to the Final. If nothing else, they have to find a worthwhile #2, and deal with whatever fallout takes place with Georgiev after that.
You kind of need to be a physcopath to willingly be a goaltender.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The primary issue of doing something now is the very best gettable names are Gibson and Grubauer. Gibson would be a bet on talent, but his results have lacked. If we are talking the Avs Grubi, he'd be a good add. If we're talking 90+% of his tenure in Seattle, he's the same as George. There are no sure things on the market currently, and you risk tying yourself into term.

Whereas if they wait, odds are you're going to have some guys pop free. The guys being overtaken by younger guys like Binnington. Or you may have a team that really struggles and wants to capitalize on an asset.. say Vancouver or Montreal have massive struggles. Possible Monty or Demko break free. If those guys don't crop up, the same level of goalie as Gibson, Grubi, or Blackwood will be available later.

I don't think we are in pure panic mode for the playoffs yet. If we get to December and 8-10+ back from the playoffs, that would be concerning. I just don't see this team falling to that level. We're talking 13-16 points over the next ~22ish games. I don't know the exact games off hand, but it would take utterly abysmal hockey to be so far back that they can't figure it out.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
If you're trading for Gibson you're essentially just paying for cap relief. That dude will play two games then park his ass on IR for the rest of the year, just like he always does

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you're trading for Gibson you're essentially just paying for cap relief. That dude will play two games then park his ass on IR for the rest of the year, just like he always does
Que?

Gibson is on IR now because he just had his appendix removed. Last time he was on IR prior to that was 2021. He might miss a game here or there, but were more in the 5-7 range than a season.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
The real question is what is the price, if we're changing our starter by trade, I know cap has to work but are we talking a 1st +. Or Gulyayev+ or Nabokov+

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The real question is what is the price, if we're changing our starter by trade, I know cap has to work but are we talking a 1st +. Or Gulyayev+ or Nabokov+
If you're talking a solution.. 1st/Gulyayev/Ritchie likely have to be on the table. If we're talking bandaid, there's different ways to go about that.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Que?

Gibson is on IR now because he just had his appendix removed. Last time he was on IR prior to that was 2021. He might miss a game here or there, but were more in the 5-7 range than a season.
His injury history isn't populating on the Fox Sports website for some reason, but I've seen enough Ducks fans complain about him not staying healthy to have that impression of him. Add him to a cursed team like the Avs and hoo boy, be careful what you wish for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
His injury history isn't populating on the Fox Sports website for some reason, but I've seen enough Ducks fans complain about him not staying healthy to have that impression of him. Add him to a cursed team like the Avs and hoo boy, be careful what you wish for.
Here you go:

What you'll see is he's out with an illness a few times a year and then has in the realm of 4-5 games of injury.

23-24: 4 games to injury 3 to illness
22-23: 5 to injury 3 to illness
21-22: 4 to injury 7 to illness (covid protocol for 5)
20-21: 9 to injury (shortened season too)
19-20: 3 to injury 2 to illness
18-19: 9 to injury 1 to illness
etc
etc

So he does have some yearly injuries, but they are more in the few game sorts of deals. Not a big time injury thing. The reputation is from early in his career. I think he missed at least 9 games a year up until 19-20. The last 3 seasons though, he's been pretty healthy (injury wise, not immune system)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Gibson is probably the only non-George/3G goalie type out there (he's arguably in that same headcase mold too, but ignoring that). I honestly wouldn't mind grabbing him. It would be against what the Avs have done unless they get significant retention on him. Which would cost quite a bit.

I don't think Fowler is an upgrade on G either, so I'd probably eliminate that.

George + 2nd + rando prospect for Gibson (50%) would be highly intriguing... risky too. If Gibson got back in form, he's a top 5-10 goalie talent. There are signs the dude is just getting hammered in specific areas where a lot of goalies would struggle... also signs that he may have just lost his game.

I think the Avs wait this out though... wait for a Binnington type to come on the market. Or if that type doesn't come up, they go with somebody like a Blackwood.
If Georgiev + 2nd + random prospect (Foudy? Olausson?) gets Gibson at 50% the Avs should be all over that.

I fail to see why Anaheim would want to do that though. They're a budget club with an internal cap, so retaining $3.2m for three years doesn't seem like something they'd want to do, especially if they're also taking back a cap dump (Georgiev) and only getting spare parts (2nd + meh prospect) for their trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad