RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
maybe not to the degree some want in certain area's but it hasn't been no progress. A new GM and more importantly coach is a totally different environment for him like many other young players. People just see a guy struggling in the NHL and are ready to write them off way too early.
It's definitely too early to write him off and that's definitely not what I was implying. It just feels like he's been somewhat stagnant for the last couple years and hasn't really improved on the things that are obvious weaknesses. Sometimes guys need a change of scenery to really kick them in the ass and make them realize what they need to change. Hopefully for Columbus having a new management and coaching regime does just that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's definitely too early to write him off and that's definitely not what I was implying. It just feels like he's been somewhat stagnant for the last couple years and hasn't really improved on the things that are obvious weaknesses. Sometimes guys need a change of scenery to really kick them in the ass and make them realize what they need to change. Hopefully for Columbus having a new management and coaching regime does just that.
With prospects, I'm personally of the mindset to leave them in the A until they are ready to be nhl regulars. Now, if they are making the same mistakes in the NHL consistently, then probably have to send them down to work on it more, before their next call up. But, not a fan of yo yoing up a young kid. Ideally want them to be ready when they get the call so that they don't return. But, won't know til they go up, but should only send them up if they are very close to being ready.

New GM/HC see something that they aren't happy with as he hasn't been inserted into the lineup yet. Hope they do have a plan for him and know who they want to play with him as well.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I do think there are some bad feelings lingering between jiricek and Columbus.

Just feels like a rocky relationship to me. I hope we all agree that him sitting in a bench to start the season isn't helping him in anyway at all? I get he gets to practice with pros but this is a bad situation imo.

Reactions: TLEH

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Just feels like a rocky relationship to me. I hope we all agree that him sitting in a bench to start the season isn't helping him in anyway at all? I get he gets to practice with pros but this is a bad situation imo.
He's getting an NHL paycheck to work directly with the guy who controls his playing time. I'd have to assume Evason has something laid out of what he would like Jiricek to meet. Whether the most ideal or not missing a couple games in a long season means nothing

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Im not saying what I said in hopes that like CBJ has to move him for nothing. I know that’s common on this site. He’s an extremely talented guy and I always want guys to make it but let’s be honest, CBJ hasn’t exactly been a steady and secure place to develop young adults lately. A lot of internal and external factors there.

This year will tell a lot. If it goes well? great, if it goes sideways again I wouldn’t be shocked if they both call it quits and move on.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo completely handled him wrong last season. Told him to get a place in Columbus early in the season (which wasn't earned) and then yoyoed him for most of year even though it was clear he wasn't NHL ready.

Not saying it's your view but there are many people on the boards who seem to think the conversation with Jarmo is why Jiricek is struggling / not NHL ready. And that's wild to me. Of all the things that player development depends on, that is not one of them. It's not stopping him from putting muscle on his legs and putting in the extra hours with his skating coach. Why is that convo always brought into the middle of the debate about Jiricek's development?

And FWIW, JD said that Jarmo told Jiricek that he would get sent down in the same conversation where he told him to get a place. This has got Allan Walsh's fingerprints all over it.

That's a big misconception in my opinion. People seem to think player development is a matter of games played, when it's mostly training and practice. That's somewhat less so for D-men, but all the more so with Jiricek where his skating, balance, and strength are the limiting factors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a big misconception in my opinion. People seem to think player development is a matter of games played, when it's mostly training and practice. That's somewhat less so for D-men, but all the more so with Jiricek where his skating, balance, and strength are the limiting factors.
I understood when NYI brought Dobson up at 19 as he had played in b2b Memorial Cups and was logging 30 minutes in the Q in his post drafted year. So, they felt he would be better practicing with the Isles and working on his strength and playing 14 minutes in the NHL vs 30 in the Q. That made sense given the limitations of the CBA regarding CHL/NHL.

Should add: that he was scratched for half the games that season, but again, they had a plan in place for him to develop him under Trotz a defensive minded HC and had depth on D and veterans to also help mentor him.

With Jiricek, he can play in the A and get stronger with a pro staff down there. If he's not NHL ready, he should have stayed in the A longer to work on his weaknesses. That's the benefit of keeping the AHL close the NHL team so that the coaches and GM can go down and check in with them.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understood when NYI brought Dobson up at 19 as he had played in b2b Memorial Cups and was logging 30 minutes in the Q in his post drafted year. So, they felt he would be better practicing with the Isles and working on his strength and playing 14 minutes in the NHL vs 30 in the Q. That made sense given the limitations of the CBA regarding CHL/NHL.

With Jiricek, he can play in the A and get stronger with a pro staff down there. If he's not NHL ready, he should have stayed in the A longer to work on his weaknesses. That's the benefit of keeping the AHL close the NHL team so that the coaches and GM can go down and check in with them.

I agree. Much of the pro staff will shuttle between Cleveland and Columbus anyways. So purely as a matter of development, I don't see why he's not already assigned to Cleveland. So I'm wondering if maybe the NHL paychecks are a part of it, trying to placate Walsh and Jiricek. One two week pay period in the NHL would be about as much pay ($70k?) as the rest of the year in the AHL. That's a lot of money in Czechia.

Gudbranson just got injured so the next RD on the depth chart would be Jiricek. Let's see if Evason actually has intentions of putting him in the lineup or if he's just up for training or $$ or some other purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad