Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It all hinges on Landy and Nuke. If they both come back and can stay in the lineup and contribute in the top 6, that's better than any TDL acquisition we would get.

While not remotely the same scenario, the 2021 offseason we had very low expectations of Kadri. Maybe Nuke will surprise us.
I disagree to some extent.

A lot of it hinges on those two for sure, but IMO even with those two at 100%, our current roster wouldn't be cup contender ready. Would still need additional deadline help.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Johansen - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Tatar
MacDermid - Olofsson - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - Byram
Johnson - Manson

vs

Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Lehkonen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Kelley - Wagner - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - De Haan/Brannstrom

I'll take my chances with the 2nd group, thanks.
The 2nd group also has a good amount of cap space.
So we either have lots of cap space, or Nuke

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

A lot of it hinges on those two for sure, but IMO even with those two at 100%, our current roster wouldn't be cup contender ready. Would still need additional deadline help.
IF nuke and Landeskog are 100%, the pieces we would need would be small supplemental ones. A 3rd pairing RD, and a depth forward (maybe a 4C). Already with Nuke and Landeskog, one of Lehkonen/Landeskog/Nuke/Drouin is on the 3rd line.
Obviously major injuries changes that outlook.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
A placeholder for an astute prediction about the upcoming season to be updated when all is said and done. Smart. Very smart.
Actually, I wanted it deleted, but asking for that to be done, only gets folks' knickers in a bunch.
Size Queen.
Was just trying to bump up my post count. Kinda like now. Gotta have everything larger now that I live outside of such a tiny state.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

If (huge IF) Landeskog and Nichushkin return at 100% this roster would just be a 4C and 3RHD away from being serious contenders, albeit still with some questions in net.

Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Colton - O'Connor
Wood - 4C - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD

Georgiev
Annunen/backup

Ideally the 4C is good on the PK and on faceoffs since those aren't Coltons strong suits and that's the biggest weakness in the bottom 6. In an ideal world even go as far as to add a 3C to push Colton to the wing and roll with a bottom 6 of:

Colton - 3C - Lehkonen
Wood - Kovalenko/Wagner - O'Connor

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If (huge IF) Landeskog and Nichushkin return at 100% this roster would just be a 4C and 3RHD away from being serious contenders, albeit still with some questions in net.

Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Colton - O'Connor
Wood - 4C - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD

Georgiev
Annunen/backup

Ideally the 4C is good on the PK and on faceoffs since those aren't Coltons strong suits and that's the biggest weakness in the bottom 6. In an ideal world even go as far as to add a 3C to push Colton to the wing and roll with a bottom 6 of:

Colton - 3C - Lehkonen
Wood - Kovalenko/Wagner - O'Connor

I disagree. Would still want a Top 9 winger to slot LOC down as well.

I'm also not convinced that's all we'd need on Defense either. I like the guys we added as I think there's upside to both Brannstrom and Kylington but I still think we end up needing more of a Top 4 guy at the deadline rather than a bottom pairing guy.

At Mansons age I simply don't trust him to hold up as Top 4 guy anymore.

That being said, IMO there's still a clear path to being a cup favorite this year. We don't have a 2025 1st, but we do have a 2025 2nd which should absolutely be enough to get a Top 9 winger at the deadline. And then we do have a 2026 1st, Ritchie, Goulash, Behrens, all solid pieces to land a Top 4D as well.

I'd like to think in that scenario in early March where Nuke is clean, Landy is playing and playing really well... I'd like to think CMac rewards this group by putting all the chips in the middle and loading up one more time.. But obviously that's still a ways away and we just will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Hyman
Skinner
Arvidsson
Henrique
Brown
Janmark
Ryan
Perry
Savoie
Jarventie
Kane coming from LTIR

No, he won't be a regular on that team.

Savoie and Jarventie won't both be on the team. Be lucky if just one of them plays more than 9 games.

Not saying Podko is better than them, but it's better for Savoie/Jarventie to play decent minutes in the AHL than 9-10 mins on the big club. Let Podko work there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiarelli

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Savoie and Jarventie won't both be on the team. Be lucky if just one of them plays more than 9 games.

Not saying Podko is better than them, but it's better for Savoie/Jarventie to play decent minutes in the AHL than 9-10 mins on the big club. Let Podko work there.
I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I doubt the Oilers traded one of their most prominent bottom six forwards the last couple of seasons just so Savoie can play in the minors with an eye towards the future.

I expect him to be given a very long look in camp.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If offer sheets are what finally forced the Oilers to trade Ceci then it was a great thing for them. I’m surprised that’s all it took to unload him too.

Still shouldn’t match Broberg.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mike Grier is a f***ing moron. The Oilers were up against the wall and not only does he take the inflated contract of a mediocre-at-best defenseman off their hands to bail their asses out, he actually hands them an not-terrible asset!?

Basically for all that Grier snagged the Sharks a third rounder. Absolutely outrageous.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Mike Grier is a f***ing moron. The Oilers were up against the wall and not only does he take the inflated contract of a mediocre-at-best defenseman off their hands to bail their asses out, he actually hands them an not-terrible asset!?

Basically for all that Grier snagged the Sharks a third rounder. Absolutely outrageous.
Ceci is ass but he's still a huge upgrade compared to what the Sharks were icing, and he only has 1 year left on his contract so they aren't stuck overpaying a vet to entice them via free agency.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad