Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can't think of any organization that would want him, other than the Edmonton Oilers because they seem to have a fetish for people with questionable personal history. He was already barely a 4th liner, and now you add in the reputation of domestic abuse. He might not be convicted, but that's not the type of player you are willing to have the negative PR.

Unless you are Edmonton, but they won't have the space.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
if I’m Chicago I’m calling with an offer for Askarov that absolutely knocks the socks of Nashville. That seems like the most obvious fit. They're going to attract some high end free agent talent in the coming years too.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You're thinking like a fan.

If you were a GM you too would rather keep good relationships with other GM's/teams. I bet the Blues won't call the Oilers to make a trade anytime soon now.

If you put me in trouble by offer sheeting my RFA's not only I'm seeking revenge but I'm not going to help you in the future that's for sure. Also if the owner is pissed off enough by your move you might have just closed a door for future employment.
And most gems can deal with them. The only reason this idea that an offer sheet is a shonda is because Brian Burke getting his ego bruised about getting caught with his pants down.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Unless something big happens in the next few weeks this is hands down the least excited I've been for a new season in the Bednar era. The Landy/Nuke situations completely ruined the off season + the draft was underwhelming.

Thank God we managed to keep Drouin, the only bright spot since the last game against Dallas.

• Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unless something big happens in the next few weeks this is hands down the least excited I've been for a new season in the Bednar era. The Landy/Nuke situations completely ruined the off season + the draft was underwhelming.

Thank God we managed to keep Drouin, the only bright spot since the last game against Dallas.
I'm sorry Colton wasn't traded.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I'm actually more positive than the last two years, which is kinda amazing considering the circumstances. I have no idea what happens with Nuke, but I'm optimistic about Landy. I think our D-corps is better, and we have finally definitely solved the #2C issue (unless something dramatic happens).

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I'm actually more positive than the last two years, which is kinda amazing considering the circumstances. I have no idea what happens with Nuke, but I'm optimistic about Landy. I think our D-corps is better, and we have finally definitely solved the #2C issue (unless something dramatic happens).

This bum missed a wide open net with no goalie and we expect him to help us? Give me a break

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Last summer, it felt like the Avs were at least aggressive in getting the team together. They were taking risks after a failure of a season. It didn't fully work, but even during the year, they were trying to fix the issues on the team. This showed by the deadline moves. It didn't work, but at least they were aggressive in trying to get better. At this stage of the window, IMO that is all you can reasonably ask.

This summer, it really doesn't feel like there is any aggression. They signed some leftover guys to replace the depth they lost, but are any of them really better? Drouin took a 1 year deal to help with the cap to keep that loss to a minimum. That's really about it. A team that wasn't close to good enough last year, lost depth but didn't lose Drouin, and that's really about it. Now some of this is due to outside situations, but there just wasn't a whole lot of positive change from the team that exited the playoffs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Last summer, it felt like the Avs were at least aggressive in getting the team together. They were taking risks after a failure of a season. It didn't fully work, but even during the year, they were trying to fix the issues on the team. This showed by the deadline moves. It didn't work, but at least they were aggressive in trying to get better. At this stage of the window, IMO that is all you can reasonably ask.

This summer, it really doesn't feel like there is any aggression. They signed some leftover guys to replace the depth they lost, but are any of them really better? Drouin took a 1 year deal to help with the cap to keep that loss to a minimum. That's really about it. A team that wasn't close to good enough last year, lost depth but didn't lose Drouin, and that's really about it. Now some of this is due to outside situations, but there just wasn't a whole lot of positive change from the team that exited the playoffs.
Yep, they gave us no reason to be optimist for the upcoming season.

I know a bunch of folks are excited for a potential Landy return but I'm not one of them. Even if his knee is healed I don't see him becoming an impact player anymore. Too old, too battered, too rusty (I'd more than welcome having a captain back in that locker room though). Maybe he'll prove me wrong and worth his 7M AAV but right now I don't see it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

That's literally every contending team apart from the Oilers, and now even they are going to lose pieces because of the OS shenanigans. Literally everyone else got worse too. That's the NHL's hard cap at work.

We are in a better spot than 12 months ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's literally every contending team apart from the Oilers, and now even they are going to lose pieces because of the OS shenanigans. Literally everyone else got worse too. That's the NHL's hard cap at work.

We are in a better spot than 12 months ago.

I wouldn't say every contending team got worse. Some did, some got better, some are roughly the same. There were also teams that didn't do all that great last year that got better.

Than 12 months ago, yeah I'd agree since Mitts is so much better than RyJo and the decrease from Byram to Kylington is overcome. Than 4 months ago though? Lost Walker, Trenin, Duhaime, Cogliano, JMFJ and Jones... and replaced them Kylington, Kelly, Wagner, CDH, and Brannstrom. Kylington, even at his best next to Tanev, wasn't better than Walker. Kelly isn't Trenin. Kelly isn't better than Cogs. CDH probably isn't worse on the ice than JMFJ, but he's not the leader. Brannstrom and Jones are pretty similar. This doesn't get into the Nuke drama that is a pretty large unknown... one simple test away from being gone for a year. The Avs are a team somewhere in the 6-10 range that need some large help at the deadline to move up.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Someone called Andrew Wilson has been name assistant GM? anyone know who he is

Reactions: Grackle Party

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs heading into 2024 opening night are a better team than the Avs heading into 2023 opening night IMO.

Just let the season play out until TDL, see if we can upgrade certain areas and go from there.

We have all the major positions filled extremely well minus (unfortunately) goaltender.

I for one am expecting Landeskog to return and play well.

Things need to be figured out with Val but I am going to be patient until the TDL to see how the Avs improve.

As of today they will compete for the division with Dallas. That is a top ~5-7 team in the league.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The Avs heading into 2024 opening night are a better team than the Avs heading into 2023 opening night IMO.

Just let the season play out until TDL, see if we can upgrade certain areas and go from there.

We have all the major positions filled extremely well minus (unfortunately) goaltender.

I for one am expecting Landeskog to return and play well.

Things need to be figured out with Val but I am going to be patient until the TDL to see how the Avs improve.

As of today they will compete for the division with Dallas. That is a top ~5-7 team in the league.
I think a lot of people are underestimating having Mittelstadt at 2C.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
3 things needed for us to be the best team in the league and I don’t think they’re unrealistic.

1. Georgie needs to be a below average starter. ~22nd-25th best
2. Cale and Mikko need to return to form
3. Val and Gabe need to return. Gabe needs to be 75% of his old self and Val needs to lay off the coke (the most unrealistic one)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The winner of the Central is probably between Dallas and Colorado, but as a whole, I expect the division to be a lot closer. Utah improved dramatically. So did Nashville. Both are likely to be in the playoff race. Chicago, still won't be good, but they should improve a lot from being a doormat, probably a just below .500 team. St Louis probably got a touch better. Minny is pretty much the same team. My expectation is the winner of the Central will be more in the 107 vs the mid 110s and the floor won't be in the 50s... probably low 70s. I think Winnipeg is the team that could have a pretty dramatic fall. Overall, it should be much tighter 1-5 than it has been in recent years.

I think a lot of people are underestimating having Mittelstadt at 2C.

I'm certainly not. :laugh:

IMO we saw a team that was a come back in game 1 away from getting swept in the 2nd round, against the biggest challenger in the Central. That was with Mitts, a better defense, and better forward depth. The Avs' ability to contend will be highly dependent at having a great deadline and a lot of things going right (including getting a piss guy). As of today, the roster looks like a 2nd round exit.

3 things needed for us to be the best team in the league and I don’t think they’re unrealistic.

1. Georgie needs to be a below average starter. ~22nd-25th best
2. Cale and Mikko need to return to form
3. Val and Gabe need to return. Gabe needs to be 75% of his old self and Val needs to lay off the coke (the most unrealistic one)

I don't think the defense... as a team and defensemen are strong enough to be able to take George as a below average guy. He needs to be average. The defense is VERY soft, and we are looking at both bottom 6 lines being pretty bad defensively. Meaning the heavy loads will continue on the top 6. The top guys are enough to carry to regular season success (especially if Bednar continues to overplay them), but the weakness as a team means that George is going to have to be average, at worst. Especially in the playoffs where teams will try to beat this defense to death.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I don't think the defense... as a team and defensemen are strong enough to be able to take George as a below average guy. He needs to be average. The defense is VERY soft, and we are looking at both bottom 6 lines being pretty bad defensively. Meaning the heavy loads will continue on the top 6. The top guys are enough to carry to regular season success (especially if Bednar continues to overplay them), but the weakness as a team means that George is going to have to be average, at worst. Especially in the playoffs where teams will try to beat this defense to death.

I believe in our defense, don’t care about how soft they are which would also be my downfall if I was a gm. You would be appalled by my defense I assembled for the Sharks in NHL eastside hockey manager lmao. Orlov, Addison, Gustafsson, Henry Thrun, Pesce, and Mukhamadullin.

Bottom 6 should be fine if we’re fully healthy. One of Lehky/Nuke/Landy and LOC to pick up the weight for Colton. Kelly and Kiviranta for Wood. Plus Casey and 2 of Lehky/Nuke/Landy will be great defensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I believe in our defense, don’t care about how soft they are which would also be my downfall if I was a gm. You would be appalled by my defense I assembled for the Sharks in NHL eastside hockey manager lmao. Orlov, Addison, Gustafsson, Henry Thrun, Pesce, and Mukhamadullin.

Bottom 6 should be fine if we’re fully healthy. One of Lehky/Nuke/Landy and LOC to pick up the weight for Colton. Kelly and Kiviranta for Wood. Plus Casey and 2 of Lehky/Nuke/Landy will be great defensively.
In the regular season, I doubt it is a big deal. When you get into the playoffs and face a team 5-6-7 games in a row... their entire goal the first 3 games is going to be inflicting as much punishment on the defensemen as possible. Teams like Seattle, Nashville, Vegas and Vancouver will give that group fits over a series.

Fully healthy never happens for the Avs (or really many NHL teams). The third line from last year will return, and probably be the chaos machines they were before. LOC keeps it in a decent check, but that line is more about pressure and north/south than anything else. If they have to defend, they are in trouble. The 4th line is just bad.... Kovalenko/Kelly-Wagner-Kiviranta. Kelly is probably the player that has shown the most in the NHL and that's not great. The Avs made moves to keep Kiviranta out of the lineup at the deadline last year. Wagner just isn't a NHL caliber player. Gotta hope Kovalenko translates (and he probably starts up the lineup to start given the situation). Against bad teams, this is probably fine. 3rd line will be good enough to hold there and the 4th line doesn't play enough to hurt. Against good teams though, that's where it will take 23-25 minutes of MacK and 17-18 of Mitts to win games at the rate expected. Which is the same story as last year. Win games there at the expense of legs at the end.

I should state that I really don't care about regular season success. Winning the Central and exiting in the second round is as much of a failure to me as being a Wild Card and exiting the 2nd round.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad