Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Favourite part of the Friedman offer sheet talk was how apparently the Blues know they have to do something to get competitive so they're going after Broberg and Holloway, a bottom pairing defenseman and bottom six forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Favourite part of the Friedman offer sheet talk was how apparently the Blues know they have to do something to get competitive so they're going after Broberg and Holloway, a bottom pairing defenseman and bottom six forward.
To be fair, Broberg has all the tools to be a top pairing defensemen. He's an absurd athlete. His IQ has always been the question with him, if that comes around, I can easily see him being a top 4 if not #2D. That's just a huge if. If he clicked as a #2 there, that changes a lot of their future complexion at defense. Suddenly they'd have 3 guys 23 and younger with legit top 4 abilities and Kessel as a guy who may be a 4/5. A couple vets and they have a solid start to rebuilding that defense.

Reactions: S E P H

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Those players still have the potential to develop to 2nd pairing/middle-6 guys. It's a bet worth taking in their position.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I feel more comfortable going into this regular than I did last.

More uncertainty but at the same time, I much prefer the balance on the team than I did last offseason.

More things have to go right this year, but at the same time, if it does, this teams peak is much better than last off seasons peak team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think we're a better team today then 12 months ago... But I would also say we're in a worse spot today then 12 months ago.

Last year at the deadline we moved a 2025 1st, 2025 3rd, 2026 3rd, and Byram to fill the needs we had and really bolster the lineup.

This year, we don't have any of those picks. We've got a 2025 2nd that will allow us to make 1 move, but that's basically it.

The Nuke situation is also significantly more bleak then it was last year and we also know just how invaluable the dude is to this teams success.

So, while I think we're better in theory right now versus this time last year(I also say in theory because Nuke isn't actually in the lineup until December, Landy and Lehky uncertainty, etc.), I don't think we have anywhere near the ability to be aggressive during the year and as such we probably have too many important holes to fill.

Reactions: Metallo

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
In isolation it sounds ridiculous, but I think he was alluding to the fact that they took some swings on July 1 that didn't work out. IIRC he mentioned Necas, but I wonder if they were in on Stamkos or Marchessault, among others.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The winner of the Central is probably between Dallas and Colorado, but as a whole, I expect the division to be a lot closer. Utah improved dramatically. So did Nashville. Both are likely to be in the playoff race. Chicago, still won't be good, but they should improve a lot from being a doormat, probably a just below .500 team. St Louis probably got a touch better. Minny is pretty much the same team. My expectation is the winner of the Central will be more in the 107 vs the mid 110s and the floor won't be in the 50s... probably low 70s. I think Winnipeg is the team that could have a pretty dramatic fall. Overall, it should be much tighter 1-5 than it has been in recent years.
I agree it will be tighter, and I think the Central sends 5 teams to the playoffs next season. I just don't believe any team besides Dallas is legitimately better than Colorado and I don't think it's an automatic that Dallas wins the division next season, either.
Lot of people in this city freaking out about losing Broberg as if they weren't wanting to throw him to the wolves last season after he couldn't crack the NHL lineup and was given permission to seek a trade, and even then a trade couldn't come to fruition.

He looked good in the playoffs, no doubt, but he's got a long way to go before I anoint him a legit NHL defensemen.

Holloway just screams bottom six dummy. Works hard, plays physical but that brain is seriously lacking.

Reactions: Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree it will be tighter, and I think the Central sends 5 teams to the playoffs next season. I just don't believe any team besides Dallas is legitimately better than Colorado and I don't think it's an automatic that Dallas wins the division next season, either.

Lot of people in this city freaking out about losing Broberg as if they weren't wanting to throw him to the wolves last season after he couldn't crack the NHL lineup and was given permission to seek a trade, and even then a trade couldn't come to fruition.

He looked good in the playoffs, no doubt, but he's got a long way to go before I anoint him a legit NHL defensemen.

Holloway just screams bottom six dummy. Works hard, plays physical but that brain is seriously lacking.
The division title isn’t the goal though…

Reactions: Balthazar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Then we should be talking about playoff series, not division titles or regular season accomplishments.
You can't talk about playoff series without getting to the TDL first. The Avs last season pre-TDL were a sham of a team relying on heroics from MacKinnon and Makar to win games.

They're better positioned heading into this coming season than they were last season. We'll see what the TDL looks like. If they can add 1-2 middle six forwards and a bottom pairing PK defensemen I like the Avs chances in the playoffs.

Reactions: missionAvs

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
You can't talk about playoff series without getting to the TDL first. The Avs last season pre-TDL were a sham of a team relying on heroics from MacKinnon and Makar to win games.

They're better positioned heading into this coming season than they were last season. We'll see what the TDL looks like. If they can add 1-2 middle six forwards and a bottom pairing PK defensemen I like the Avs chances in the playoffs.
I agree.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
To be fair, Broberg has all the tools to be a top pairing defensemen. He's an absurd athlete. His IQ has always been the question with him, if that comes around, I can easily see him being a top 4 if not #2D. That's just a huge if. If he clicked as a #2 there, that changes a lot of their future complexion at defense. Suddenly they'd have 3 guys 23 and younger with legit top 4 abilities and Kessel as a guy who may be a 4/5. A couple vets and they have a solid start to rebuilding that defense.

This is exactly what the Zadorov fans said. We, me and you in particular, made jokes about it for like 5 years. 😂

Like you said, huge if and I don’t see it with him mainly due to the hockey IQ. That’s a pretty decent sized risk to take with that contract. I wouldn’t have done it, even with the potential of upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Better team than 12 months ago, but less assets to improve. The whole success depends on making good moves and those beings successful in a short time.

For better or worse, the regular season doesn’t matter for the Avs. The success or failure will be based on what happens in the playoffs.

This is exactly what the Zadorov fans said. We, me and you in particular, made jokes about it for like 5 years. 😂

Like you said, huge if and I don’t see it with him mainly due to the hockey IQ. That’s a pretty decent sized risk to take with that contract. I wouldn’t have done it, even with the potential of upside.
I don’t disagree at it all about being a risk. There’s just potentially reward at the end of the rainbow.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They're better positioned heading into this coming season than they were last season.
Better team than 12 months ago
Not so fast.

You guys forget that last year there was no real uncertainty around Nuke + Landy was on LTIR so we had his entire cap space to play with. No one knew for sure that RyJo and Tatar would suck this bad and Byram would have a rough year. Also we had more assets to make moves at the deadline.

I say there were more reasons to be optimistic last summer than this summer. You guys say we have a better team now just because you know what happened last year.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not so fast.

You guys forget that last year there was no real uncertainty around Nuke + Landy was on LTIR so we had his entire cap space to play with. No one knew for sure that RyJo and Tatar would suck this bad and Byram would have a rough year. Also we had more assets to make moves at the deadline.

I say there were more reasons to be optimistic last summer than this summer. You guys say we have a better team now just because you know what happened last year.
That’s fair… especially on the Nuke end. That’s just a matter of time before it blows up.

Byram/Mitts, even last summer though should be a large step up. Problem is Walker to Kylington is a large step down.

If argue there is a pathway for the Avs this year, but it takes a lot of things to go right and they have to have a lot of success at the deadline. Without that, they’re unlikely to progress further. Which is really my point… the team at the end of last season wasn’t close. This team isn’t either. They need help to really be at the top end. Not impossible, just need a lot.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I’m personally excited to see if Mitts develops into that two-way reliable C behind MacK. I’d love it if Landy came back healthy as I think that’s the basis for a really good 2nd line with a strong defensive component.

Also wondering if Makar can hit that next stride to truly separate himself from the pack. Last year was a step back for that, but you can just see the capacity there for him to truly dominate.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not so fast.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Johansen - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Tatar
MacDermid - Olofsson - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - Byram
Johnson - Manson

vs

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Lehkonen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Kelley - Wagner - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - De Haan/Brannstrom

I'll take my chances with the 2nd group, thanks.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m personally excited to see if Mitts develops into that two-way reliable C behind MacK. I’d love it if Landy came back healthy as I think that’s the basis for a really good 2nd line with a strong defensive component.

Also wondering if Makar can hit that next stride to truly separate himself from the pack. Last year was a step back for that, but you can just see the capacity there for him to truly dominate.

Feel the same about 2C but not as optimistic for Landeskog. He may try o play. But I don’t share the same optimism for him. The guy has been only shadow boxing for several months and when we get optimistic updates, it’s of him doing basic things while skating alone. And this is year three into this. Two years after the procedure. Him coming back in a meaningful way is pushing a massive rock up a massive hill. And if he’s not even playing with contact yet, the top of that hill is still a long ways away.

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
It’s hard to assess where we are to start this year compared to last. And kind of the one prior 2 years ago. Some questions are answered. Obviously some not. Some roster areas better and some not.

- Are we getting 22/23 regular season Georgiev or 23/24? Probly the latter, but here’s hoping former.
- Annunen seems to be a nice, cheap backup option.
- Our defense going into the year is actually quite solid. Yes it’s soft and I’d like another mean/physical RHD, but we can pick one up towards deadline. Looking at Savard, Larsson, Borgen. This is assuming one of Brannstrom or Kylington takes over as 3LD and we push De Haan to #7.
- 2C solved. Mittlestadt definitely took time to adjust, but man he looked solid.
- We’ll definitely need to pick up a couple F’s throughout the year. We won’t know how good Landeskog will be. I’m hoping for just a pretty solid 3rd liner quality out of him. Yes obviously a $7M 3rd liner will suck.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sure, because you know what happened with the 1st group.
No, not everything is what you say it is.

The instant this team acquired Johansen I was against the move.

Mittelstadt takes tough matchups and produces, allowing Colton to play 3C minutes.

That's why. Not because you say we saw what happened.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think we're a better team today then 12 months ago... But I would also say we're in a worse spot today then 12 months ago.

Last year at the deadline we moved a 2025 1st, 2025 3rd, 2026 3rd, and Byram to fill the needs we had and really bolster the lineup.

This year, we don't have any of those picks. We've got a 2025 2nd that will allow us to make 1 move, but that's basically it.

The Nuke situation is also significantly more bleak then it was last year and we also know just how invaluable the dude is to this teams success.

So, while I think we're better in theory right now versus this time last year(I also say in theory because Nuke isn't actually in the lineup until December, Landy and Lehky uncertainty, etc.), I don't think we have anywhere near the ability to be aggressive during the year and as such we probably have too many important holes to fill.
It all hinges on Landy and Nuke. If they both come back and can stay in the lineup and contribute in the top 6, that's better than any TDL acquisition we would get.

While not remotely the same scenario, the 2021 offseason we had very low expectations of Kadri. Maybe Nuke will surprise us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad