Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Mike Grier is a f***ing moron. The Oilers were up against the wall and not only does he take the inflated contract of a mediocre-at-best defenseman off their hands to bail their asses out, he actually hands them an not-terrible asset!?

Basically for all that Grier snagged the Sharks a third rounder. Absolutely outrageous.
A 3rd is still better than nothing, if that was all he was going to get. Plus someone might throw a late pick for Ceci at the deadline. Makes no difference to the Sharks if the Oilers get of the hook this season, they are a cellar dweller anyway.

Reactions: PAZ

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A 3rd is still better than nothing, if that was all he was going to get. Plus someone might throw a late pick for Ceci at the deadline. Makes no difference to the Sharks if the Oilers get of the hook this season, they are a cellar dweller anyway.
He’s worth at least a 2nd at the deadline. Righty who can play #4 or #5 minutes. As much as fans mock him teams will be all over that.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Mike Grier is a f***ing moron. The Oilers were up against the wall and not only does he take the inflated contract of a mediocre-at-best defenseman off their hands to bail their asses out, he actually hands them an not-terrible asset!?

Basically for all that Grier snagged the Sharks a third rounder. Absolutely outrageous.
Agree 100%.

Ceci is ass but he's still a huge upgrade compared to what the Sharks were icing, and he only has 1 year left on his contract so they aren't stuck overpaying a vet to entice them via free agency.
It doesn't matter that he's an upgrade or not. The fact is that the loilers were absolutely in a terrible spot and everyone in the hockey world knew it and he basically let them off the hook without even getting a measly 2nd round pick back in return?

He's a terrible GM who has no clue what he's doing even if he was left a big mess by his predecessor, he's still abysmal in just about every transaction he's been involved in.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m surprised that Askarov isn’t a Hawk yet. They could have their 1C,1D and 1G

Reactions: Zandar

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
There is absolutely zero justification to pay that price for a goalie that has played 3 NHL games. And the price should only go down now that Trotz has been backed into a corner.

Yeah, that's a hefty offer but I believe Askarov won't be cheap. I also trust his potential.

We'll see. I'd love for Avs to be the team to trade for him, and I'd imagine Annunen would have to go the other way.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, that's a hefty offer but I believe Askarov won't be cheap. I also trust his potential.

We'll see. I'd love for Avs to be the team to trade for him, and I'd imagine Annunen would have to go the other way.
And that's why we are in this situation, Trotz overplayed his hand here. Askarov used his final resort, threatening not to report is not something you do willy-nilly as a player, there are going to be teams and GMs who don't like that stunt.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
And that's why we are in this situation, Trotz overplayed his hand here. Askarov used his final resort, threatening not to report is not something you do willy-nilly as a player, there are going to be teams and GMs who don't like that stunt.

Yah, I know. You're probably right that this lowers Askarov's value.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So can someone explain to me why the f*** San Jose is doing favors for Edmonton?

Seriously there was absolutely no reason for San Jose to so generously take Ceci of their hands for basically nothing. Should have demanded a first or top prospect at minimum with Ceci. Edmonton had absolutely no leverage.

Oh they can flip him at the deadline for a pick, sure, but is that 3rd or 4th round pick worth bailing out Edmonton? Ceci on San Jose will be a train wreck he won't get them more than a 3rd if they are lucky.

Sucks that Edmonton created a mess and should have lost some reasonable young players and incompetent GMs just bail them out with absurd trades.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Then he didn’t need to do it, let the division rival twist in the wind. Instead he bailed them out and got a draft pick he didn’t need, AND handed them a young asset in return. All for an aging, overpaid third pairing defender.

Reactions: chet1926

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So can someone explain to me why the f*** San Jose is doing favors for Edmonton?

Seriously there was absolutely no reason for San Jose to so generously take Ceci of their hands for basically nothing. Should have demanded a first or top prospect at minimum with Ceci. Edmonton had absolutely no leverage.

Oh they can flip him at the deadline for a pick, sure, but is that 3rd or 4th round pick worth bailing out Edmonton? Ceci on San Jose will be a train wreck he won't get them more than a 3rd if they are lucky.

Sucks that Edmonton created a mess and should have lost some reasonable young players and incompetent GMs just bail them out with absurd trades.
Well, Griere has a history of helping other teams. Goodrow from waivers, BS retentions for EK65 and Hertl...

Reactions: Grackle Party

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Then he didn’t need to do it, let the division rival twist in the wind. Instead he bailed them out and got a draft pick he didn’t need, AND handed them a young asset in return. All for an aging, overpaid third pairing defender.
Helping a division rival for a 3rd round pick should be an instant firing.

There was literally no good reason for SJ to do this. Probably the worst GM move I've seen in quite a bit. Help a division rival and get nothing of significant value in return. Pathetic.

Well, Griere has a history of helping other teams. Goodrow from waivers, BS retentions for EK65 and Hertl...
He's is a a terrible GM, in way over his head.

Reactions: Grackle Party

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Definitely need to be in on Askarov. Fourgiev should be used to young highly touting Russian goalies coming to take his job anyways.
It only ended well last time.

Helping a division rival for a 3rd round pick should be an instant firing.

There was literally no good reason for SJ to do this. Probably the worst GM move I've seen in quite a bit. Help a division rival and get nothing of significant value in return. Pathetic.

He's is a a terrible GM, in way over his head.
GMs are not into screwing each over all the time. It would be bad business to do so. Here or there you see stuff and some feuds, but as a whole, most teams try to work with each other.

At this point, I think Emberson is better than Ceci. Emberson isn't good... he's a bottom pairing RD. But he's guy who can play that role and not get the Ceci/Holden treatment... where a player is just good enough that coaches overplay them.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Oilers are actually going to keep Broberg at 4.5 aren't they? That's really going to sting not only at the trade deadline, but next summer with some big contracts coming due. They have to shed more depth players just to bring Kane back off LTIR.

St Louis completely screwed them in what could be their last real good shot at a cup before Drai & Bouchard decimate their cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oilers are actually going to keep Broberg at 4.5 aren't they? That's really going to sting not only at the trade deadline, but next summer with some big contracts coming due. They have to shed more depth players just to bring Kane back off LTIR.

St Louis completely screwed them in what could be their last real good shot at a cup before Drai & Bouchard decimate their cap.
This was going to be their last season anyway. Too many holes and old players with no youth coming up. They'll keep their top guys, but the depth will suffer.

For the deadline... I can't see them not utilizing LTIR with the players on their roster... Kane, Arvidsson, and Rico are hurt yearly at this point. That'll free up space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad