Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Have to say, I've been very critical of Mike Grier but he has done some tidy work in the last week. Good for him and San Jose.
He's done some dumb stuff but we're entering the part of the year where he gets players for free (or paid to take them) and should be able to redeem himself.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
DNVR spent like 20 minutes today mocking Yzerman for the Walman trade and neither of them thought about the possibility that perhaps there are off ice issues with him
Possible, then again Sean Shapiro wrote a piece on the trade it just seems horrible asset management done in panic:

“The other puzzling thing is that Yzerman apparently didn’t shop Walman around a ton. Based off some of my conversations and reading reports from others, there were multiple teams that would have been interested in actually trading something for Walman.

And if the Red Wings were truly desperate to be clear of Walman, they could have kept the second-round pick and simply waived him. The San Jose Sharks, I know for a fact, would have claimed him on waivers since they are first in the waiver order, like they did with Barclay Goodrow. In fact, I’ve heard San Jose was happily stunned when Yzerman simply didn’t ask for a return and offered a second-round pick sweetener.”

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is Suter the first player to get bought out by a new team while still being on the books for a buyout on another team?

Reactions: Linds

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is Suter the first player to get bought out by a new team while still being on the books for a buyout on another team?
I thought it happened once before, but I could be wrong there.

That's incorrect. ~780k this year 1.4m next year. They save about 2.8m this upcoming season for this. It is ~1.4m per season of cash going out.

This probably signals they are keeping Tanev.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought it happened once before, but I could be wrong there.

That's incorrect. ~780k this year 1.4m next year. They save about 2.8m this upcoming season for this. It is ~1.4m per season of cash going out.

This probably signals they are keeping Tanev.
Is he an upgrade over JJ?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Duhaime is an interesting one. I’m assuming Trenin is gone because someone will overpay for him, but the market might be a bit lighter on Duhaime.

I thought he was great in the regular season, then disappointed in the playoffs. I’d bring him back for cheap to have some heaviness on the 4th line.

There was a report a week-or-so ago that teams view Duhaime as a consolation prize if they miss out on Dakota Joshua. So it is likely he'll get overpaid for his physicality.

Personally, Duhaime impressed me when he first got here, but that faded over time. I don't think Bednar trusted him and I don't blame him. For as little as he played, the Avs gave up way too many goals 5v5 when Duhaime was on the ice, which is why I think his ice time got slashed in the playoffs.

<Regular Season>

GPTOI 5v5Oi GA 5v5
Duhaime1810:179
Trenin1610:322
Wagner137:011

<Playoffs>

GPTOI 5v5Oi GA 5v5
Duhaime117:314
Trenin108:513
Wagner28:440

(I'm not insinuating Wagner is better, it's just for comparison sake)

Reactions: Richard88

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but factoring in Nichushkin and Landy on the books, we have $5.23m in cap space with only 13 players signed.

This is going to be a wild off-season.
They have about that much to spend with 16 players signed. It's tight, but not quite that bad.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Duhaime showed some flashes in the regular season but he's a dime a dozen player.

I don't think he's worth it for the Avs since he's strictly a winger. At least Wagner can play centre.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but factoring in Nichushkin and Landy on the books, we have $5.23m in cap space with only 13 players signed.

This is going to be a wild off-season.

The situation is technically a little better than that, but not by much...
  • Add in Kovalenko, and you're up to 14 skaters, but down to ~$4.34
  • Then consider Nichushkin will miss ~15% of the season (prorated -$0.92ish), you're back up to (roughly) ~$5.26
Then consider that when Landeskog/Nichushkin aren't playing, they'll be replaced by (2) league minimum plugs.

So really, it's more like that ~$5.26 needs to be spread across (6) players, or as little as (4) if Colorado doesn't carry extras (which they will).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad