2024 Draft: 2nd Pick - Eemil Vinni (G)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
No idea, what are your thoughts of him? Best for him to stay in Finland for another year or two in your opinion?
So far what i know as HIFK fan Vinni is projected to be 2nd goalie in HIFK 2024-2025.
But HIFK as a team is mediocre and mostly all HIFK fans have zero expectations to coming season.

HIFK had skill-loaded team last season ( 2023-2024 ) and they were
supposed to compete SM liiga championship title but HIFK faced
early elimination in SM liiga playoffs when Pelicans Lahti
eliminated HIFK 4-3 in 1st round of SM liiga playoffs.

I'm not heard any news of that HIFK would be looking experienced goalie in free agent market.
But that can change fast if there will be goaltending issues or problems or injuries.

Vinni has already played 1,5 SM liiga games but those didn't go so well.
First game Vinni came in as backup and helped HIFK to win but next game vs Tappara
Vinni collapsed totally and he got pulled out before the end of 2nd period
and that was season 2022-2023 when he played those games.

Last years ( 2023 ) U18 WJC's Vinni didn't impress me.
He allowed many soft and easy goals and that's why
Finland's tournament was over after quarterfinals.

If Oilers trust HIFK's ability to develop Vinni
and they feel that's better for Vinni's deveploment then let him to stay in HIFK and so be it.

It is true most of Finnish players
who are under contract with SM liiga team they rarely report to CHL team
even they would be drafted so far only Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is only Finnish NHL goaltender
who's played in CHL and AHL before NHL so it is open question would that work in Vinni's case.

But my own opinion is that
CHL is superior development league to young players than SM liiga
and what earlier Vinni comes to North America and starts learning
North American game that's better for his development.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
#1 ranked International Goalie, "high end athleticism", sounds good. Surprised he was the 5th goalie taken in this draft.

Pracey and our goalie Scout met our Finnish Scout in Finland to scout him in person. Good to see some leg work. Did Wright ever go to Europe to see a kid? I know when we drafted Samuel Jonsson it was just on the word of the same Finnish scout.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I’m all for taking a goalie every draft if we have enough picks cause they’re such a crapshoot nowadays.

The bright side is, when Desharnais leaves we can still continue the Skinny Vinni Winny meme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad