2024 Draft: 2nd Pick - Eemil Vinni (G)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have a good feeling about this one.

But honestly for some reason I get a good feeling about Finnish goalies in general. It’s been 20 years since Kipper emerged outta nowhere but I think that’s where the allure of Finnish goalies comes from for me.

Anyway I’m gonna just believe in this kid
Kipper had a much better draft year and went in the 5th

At the end of the day nothing against the pick but strange with how much a 2nd is getting people in trades we would spend it on a long shot goalie.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Every go
Kipper had a much better draft year and went in the 5th

At the end of the day nothing against the pick but strange with how much a 2nd is getting people in trades we would spend it on a long shot goalie.
Every goalie is a long shot at the draft these days. If management has some insight or thinks it’s a good pick, so be it.

Never going to be able to evaluate it now

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nice size and athleticism. Solid pedigree with World U20 experience as a draft eligible. Playing pro level adult competition at this age is a solid indicator. Would have preferred a positional pick (centres and d) given how few picks they have but must be perceived as a value pick as top Euro tender prospect drops after a run of 4 goaltenders in round 2.

(Did like Blades goalie Evan Gardner who went before him).

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Excellent drafting, looks like we have some sharp minds in the organization! Finally spending some draft capital on the most important position in hockey. Really like the first pick too.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I do wonder if this is any kind of an indictment on Rodrigue? With Pickard signing on for 2 years it'll be a battle between him and Rodrigue for the back-up this upcoming season.

Reactions: oilers'72

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Seems like another iffy pick based on the stats. Let’s hope he pans out
Stop just looking at stats. He's the #1 rated European goalie prospect in the draft.

i dont know him, what was he actually ranked among goalies? is there an overall ranking from any service or a McKenzie consensus? or just the international css ranking

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goalie. Huh? Wait and see I guess.

We picked the 5th and last goalie in Round 2. 4 goalies went ahead of this kid.

Hope we did our homework and had the necessary management personnel to pick this guy out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I do wonder if this is any kind of an indictment on Rodrigue? With Pickard signing on for 2 years it'll be a battle between him and Rodrigue for the back-up this upcoming season.
No.

The Oilers have drafted eight goaltenders over the past ten drafts. Their (shitty) organizational strategy has been to take a volume approach with the position. This was probably the best value with the #1 Euro tender falling to them after a draft goalie run.

There's zero chance the Oilers would run with a young tandem Skinner and unproven Rodrique. Pickard buys a one year bridge to further cook Rodrique with a big AHL workload. After next season they'll have a clearer picture of Rodrigue's potential NHL ability or not. Rodrigue is smallish and slight at 6'1", sub 180 pounds. Watching Wolf's somewhat inconsistent NHL level play reinforces the challenge of smaller guys against NHL shooters. Better to be caution in assessing Rodrigue's upside than overhyping AHL results.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What's Oilers plan with Vinni?
all what i know Vinni is under contract with IFK Helsinki SM liiga team
and he was only for a loan in Jokipojat Joensuu so is reporting to CHL
possible too if he gets drafted next Wednesday.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's Oilers plan with Vinni?
all what i know Vinni is under contract with IFK Helsinki SM liiga team
and he was only for a loan in Jokipojat Joensuu so is reporting to CHL
possible too if he gets drafted next Wednesday.
No idea, what are your thoughts of him? Best for him to stay in Finland for another year or two in your opinion?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No.

The Oilers have drafted eight goaltenders over the past ten drafts. Their (shitty) organizational strategy has been to take a volume approach with the position. This was probably the best value with the #1 Euro tender falling to them after a draft goalie run.

There's zero chance the Oilers would run with a young tandem Skinner and unproven Rodrique. Pickard buys a one year bridge to further cook Rodrique with a big AHL workload. After next season they'll have a clearer picture of Rodrigue's potential NHL ability or not. Rodrigue is smallish and slight at 6'1", sub 180 pounds. Watching Wolf's somewhat inconsistent NHL level play reinforces the challenge of smaller guys against NHL shooters. Better to be caution in assessing Rodrigue's upside than overhyping AHL results.
IIRC we also signed a NCAA goalie as well. It'd be great if we could sneak Rodrigue down another season but we risk losing him. If we are looking at Copley then it makes me think that we are either thinking that we are losing Rodrigue or we are wisely trying to get to be 4 deep in the goalie position.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
I didn’t want a goalie this draft, but only cause I have eyes for someone in ‘25 lol.
Next draft all we have are a 3rd, 6th, and 7th... I can see us taking a goalie again. Having lots of goalies in the system is not a bad thing

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
IIRC we also signed a NCAA goalie as well. It'd be great if we could sneak Rodrigue down another season but we risk losing him. If we are looking at Copley then it makes me think that we are either thinking that we are losing Rodrigue or we are wisely trying to get to be 4 deep in the goalie position.
USports/CHL: Brock Badgers goalie signs with NHL’s Edmonton Oilers - Brock University Athletics

I'm not sure there's a lot of risk about losing Rodrigue. Waiver eligible but NHL team still only carry two goaltenders. Burning a spot for a prospect/project one requires a really big leap of faith. Still they'll have a better sense of that reality than we do on the outside.

We'll have to see if the Oilers feel a need for an NHL/AHL tweener behind Pickard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
USports/CHL: Brock Badgers goalie signs with NHL’s Edmonton Oilers - Brock University Athletics

I'm not sure there's a lot of risk about losing Rodrigue. Waiver eligible but NHL team still only carry two goaltenders. Burning a spot for a prospect/project one requires a really big leap of faith. Still they'll have a better sense of that reality than we do on the outside.

We'll have to see if the Oilers feel a need for an NHL/AHL tweener behind Pickard.
IMO bad teams would be the risk of someone claiming Rodrigue. IF he's highly thought of outside our circles of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad