Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa must know something wasn’t right with his rehab.

He made it back for the playoffs, he's healthy. That had nothing to do with it, Sergachev has always gotten himself in great shape and been fairly healthy his career. That injury isn't going to effect him anytime soon, maybe later in his career it could be an issue.

The reason for this deal is because we brought back McDonagh who's cheaper and more consistent. Sergachev still hasn't put it all together on a regular basis and we can't be paying 8.5M for the hope he replaces Hedman. With Hedman we have a better top pair LD so Sergachev was an expensive luxury. Moser can take the 2nd PP and offensive zone starts Sergachev was getting. This also allows us to sign Hedman next offseason without any issue.

We need young impactful forwards too so getting Geekie is a plus and a 2nd never hurts. On our end we really hit on most of our needs. Sucks to lose Sergachev who's been great for us and helped win the 2 Cups but was definitely the most likely cap casualty.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Phoenix/Utah have been tanking for the last 20 f***ing years and look where they are.

This is a fair trade for both teams, TBay gets young players while getting cap space and Utah gets a top 2 D man, with upside to improve.

Hopefully more defensive help is bought in.

Phoenix scored 256 goals last year, tied with LA and only 3 behind Winnipeg but they allowed 274 goals against, if they can shore that Defence up and get more help up front, they can contend and even make the playoffs.

Hopefully they sign another D and get Stamkos.
4 years but, otherwise agreed.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I could be wrong, but I think Sergachev is going to be truly exposed as he’d get sheltered minutes in Tampa and greatly benefited from playing on the top PP unit the year he racked up those points.
Exactly my thoughts as well when I saw this trade.

Moser played well on a bad team and will almost certainly be even better with Tampa.

Tampa are one of the best teams in the league at developing talent. If anybody can get Geekie to play like an 11th OA it's them.

Bad trade for Utah.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sergachev on a #1 pp should hit 60 points again, I see the incentive for Utah. The Lightning PP just runs much better with Hedman, so Sergachev wasn’t being utilized to his full potential here. Lightning are a much better team with McDonagh at 2 LD instead

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why trade Sergachev.
See the post above yours.

Sergachev on a #1 pp should hit 60 points again, I see the incentive for Utah. The Lightning PP just runs much better with Hedman, so Sergachev wasn’t being utilized to his full potential here. Lightning are a much better team with McDonagh at 2 LD instead
I see 50. Unless Utah has some weapons I'm not aware. Sergachev hitting 60 probably doesn't happen on a PP that doesn't feature Kucherov. 50 is a good bet though, IMO.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I could be wrong, but I think Sergachev is going to be truly exposed as he’d get sheltered minutes in Tampa and greatly benefited from playing on the top PP unit the year he racked up those points.
He always looks a little too lackadaisical to me. Talented for sure, but hardly consistent shift to shift. I like this deal for Tampa. They need size down the middle, a defenceman to replace Sergachev and cap space. They got all 3.

Reactions: aylib and NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If this is a good move for TB, why would they sign him to such a bad contract in the first place?
Because the contract wasn't good. We were paying for potential he hadn't tapped yet. It's just way too much money for a guy who may or may not SOMEDAY take over for Hedman. When we brought back McDonagh... Well, now Sergachev isn't the main offensive LD, and he's not the main defensive LD, so how do you justify 8.5?

Before Sergachev, we usually bridged guys and then paid them. This kind of contract was new, and it bit us.

Sergachev is a very good defenseman. He's not a legit #1. And with McD coming back, he was going to be our 3rd LD in terms of responsibility (I'm sure they would have found minutes, but they would have been the easiest of the 3 guys), and making the most money. Something had to give.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I’m surprised they already traded Sergachev. It will be Interesting to see how he does as a #1 defenseman.
Sergachev’s play this year was that of a true #1 defenseman. He finally put it all together, despite Hedman taking the PP1 minutes from him.

We will see how much the injury affects Sergachev, or whether he fully recovers and picks up where he left off.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev’s play this year was that of a true #1 defenseman. He finally put it all together, despite Hedman taking the PP1 minutes from him.

We will see how much the injury affects Sergachev, or whether he fully recovers and picks up where he left off.
....What? Even before the injuries, this was his worst season in a while. And that's saying something.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad