Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm not moving 4M AAV Colton for 2.4M AAV Kakko, that's for damn sure. The savings aren't worth the massive downgrade and losing our center.

If we move Colton either we take no contract back or a good value one.

Why do I have the feeling cMac has already penciled Ritchie in at 3C.... That would most likely be a disaster.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Colton had 17 goals and 40 points but he did that playing majority of the season as the 2C until the Mitts trade. Don’t think he was very good when he moved to 3C. Not only his offensive production dropped, he wasn’t trusted defensively and his playoff production was not good. 1 goal and just 4 points in 11 games. I’m not sure why some of you make it sound like Colton is untouchable.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Colton had 17 goals and 40 points but he did that playing majority of the season as the 2C until the Mitts trade. Don’t think he was very good when he moved to 3C. Not only his offensive production dropped, he wasn’t trusted defensively and his playoff production was not good. 1 goal and just 4 points in 11 games. I’m not sure why some of you make it sound like Colton is untouchable.
It's not that he's untouchable. It's that if you move him you aren't getting an upgrade that saves any cap space realistically. Or you trade him for cap space and then there's a huge hole at 3C.

Reactions: cinchronicity

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's not that he's untouchable. It's that if you move him you aren't getting an upgrade that saves any cap space realistically. Or you trade him for cap space and then there's a huge hole at 3C.
There are players who elevate their game and have a surprise playoff runs all the time while being on a cheap contract. It’s possible we can find someone like that to be the 3C on a cheaper contract than Colton

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The upgrade is being able to sign Drouin, who's a better player.

Also if Colton is in high demand, we'll get something for him that we'll be able to use later. If Drouin walks we get nothing.

That's asset management and it's important.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Colton was fine - good even - as 3C when playing with LOC. Therein lies the problem, though: clearly he (and Wood) needed LOC to have success as a line. If that's the case, it tells me LOC is the real key to the 3rd line and the Avs should be able to find someone cheaper than Colton and make it work.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1718924574172.png

Not advocating for this at all... But I would say this is maybe the one scenario where bringing in Ritchie as the 3C has a small chance of working out.

Two trades were as follows:

- Colton to New Jersey for 2024 3rd(NJD) + 2025 2nd(WPG). Basically trading Colton for pick #75 this year and pick roughly pick #50 next year.

- 2024 1st(COL) to Washington for Dowd(50% retained) + 2024 2nd(VGK). So trading down from #24 to #52 to get a high end 4C.

For the bottom 6, you stick two hard working, responsible two way guys on Ritchie's wing in Landy and LOC. Dowd gives you a really good 4C, and a guy that has the ability to play up the lineup if Ritchie really struggles. You dont want Dowd as your 3C in the playoffs, but during the regular season he'd be able to handle the role for a decent stretch if Ritchie cant do it(Obviously would then mean needing to make a trade for a 3C at the deadline which wouldn't be cheap).

A couple additional notes. This plan would allow Nichushkin to return to the team in November. Something I feel has an incredibly low(Arguably 0%) chance of happening, but it would work cap wise. He'd come back with a cap hit of about $5.1M so they'd actually have more like $2.5M in cap space rather then $1.4M This would allow them to grab a 5-6D for $1.5M and run with a 13th forward for league minimum.

The more likely route would be to simply spend Nukes money in the summer and terminate as soon as he's out of the program.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Colton was fine - good even - as 3C when playing with LOC. Therein lies the problem, though: clearly he (and Wood) needed LOC to have success as a line. If that's the case, it tells me LOC is the real key to the 3rd line and the Avs should be able to find someone cheaper than Colton and make it work.
Avs have never really had a big point producing 3C, but in all 3 cup runs, we had one defensively responsible that a coach can trust.

96 and 01 we had Yelle
22 it was JTC.

JTC was really underrated in 22 playoffs. He had 5 goals and some big goals too. He was solid defensively and if I recall correctly, he was good on faceoffs too.

Colton didn’t bring any of that in the playoffs for us as the 3C

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't see the logic behind moving Colton...by the deadline, we'll all be desperately bitching for a #3 centre if we do move him.

Reactions: LTCPain75

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
One of the funniest things is watching how the narrative has shifted on JTC. A year ago it was: Thank goodness he's gone. He f***ing sucked, and he's super easy to replace.

View attachment 884962
Who would have ever guessed that letting go a 40+ pts guy who could take faceoffs with reasonable success and could PK decently would turn out poorly.

JTC was a solid player for his role, it was dumb to let him walk over about 1M. Colton makes 4 JTC makes 5.1 and I bet we could have negotiated 4.75. so we are talking a league minimum player in salary difference.

I take JTC over Colton every day of the week.

Reactions: Alienblood

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Who would have ever guessed that letting go a 40+ pts guy who could take faceoffs with reasonable success and could PK decently would turn out poorly.

JTC was a solid player for his role, it was dumb to let him walk over about 1M. Colton makes 4 JTC makes 5.1 and I bet we could have negotiated 4.75. so we are talking a league minimum player in salary difference.

I take JTC over Colton every day of the week.
This is a moot point. JTC was fine but most of the argument was that he wasn't a 2C (which he isn't on a contender) and we didn't want to pay a 3C what he was demanding (which we can't afford). So while he's a fine player, the contract situation was always going to force him off the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya know... if San Jose really did want to offer us Bordeleau + 2025 2nd for Colton... You might just have to make that trade and figure out the 3C spot again after that.

That would be pretty nice value, frees up a bunch of cap, and replenishes some draft pick capital.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ya know... if San Jose really did want to offer us Bordeleau + 2025 2nd for Colton... You might just have to make that trade and figure out the 3C spot again after that.

That would be pretty nice value, frees up a bunch of cap, and replenishes some draft pick capital.
We could really use a face puncher with silky mitts to be fair :sarcasm:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Texier is someone I've always been a curious about. Colton+Georgie for merzlilins+texier
Texier would probably be a good fit, but a big no thanks to Elvis

I could be wrong, but Bordeleau doesn't excite me at all. Only reason it might be beneficial is name recognition and value to flip at the deadline

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
JTC sucked partially because he was sitting on the wrong chair and now he's grossly overpaid. I don't miss him one bit.

It's right here
All I know is that JTC helped us win the cup and he was just fine that year making 3.5 mill. I would not give him 5 mill for sure. Maybe would be a better option than Colton if he would take 3.5 again to re-sign, but anything more than that, no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad