Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You are also assuming Landy is good to go day 1, which more than likely he won't be. More likely Nov or Dec at the earliest. Nuke while eligible to return mid Nov probably wouldn't get into the lineup until maybe early Dec.

So in reality you'd need at least 2 more forwards which would have to be filled with low money contracts as you can't really use Nuke or Landy's money, at least not very easily.

On paper your roster works fine, however it's not one that can be used day 1 or most likely for at least 2 months.
I don't know why you throw out random dates for Landeskog.

The timeline for his return was 12-16 months. Guess when that is? May-September.

Will they be cautious? Probably. However, they won't hold him out just to hold him out. If he's not ready to go full time come training camp there's likely cause for concern long term.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They already shifted money from the defence to the forwards with the Byram for Mitts deal.

Obviously they could do more but I don't see them moving G right after they moved Byram. Maybe Manson if they replace him with a similar physical dman who's a bit cheaper.
Some sure, but not enough. Still have too much invested in defense and really lack at depth forwards.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know why you throw out random dates for Landeskog.

The timeline for his return was 12-16 months. Guess when that is? May-September.

Will they be cautious? Probably. However, they won't hold him out just to hold him out. If he's not ready to go full time come training camp there's likely cause for concern long term.
It's called being realistic sure he could play day 1 in Oct, but I wouldn't call it likely. And if he does it's a nice bonus. In reality we need to be prepared for him to not play right away. And on terms of when he does finally play, who knows what product you'll get from him. You don't typically miss 2+ years and just come back and play at the level you were at. So that's a bigger question than anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Beckman should probably have been in the NHL full time last year. He should be a solid bottom 6 guy in New Jersey, though he ideally needs to get lighter and take a step forward skating wise. Clarke has some offensive pop, but not sure he's got the rest of the game to stick in the NHL. Not talented enough for top 6, not a bottom 6 friendly game. Had injuries derail his development a bit.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I agree logic says that at least one guy at or above 4M needs to be moved out for money purposes.

If that is Colton that's fine. I'm just surprised that they move him and leave 29 as the only signed center. Mitts will get resigned but then you have a 3rd and 4th line center holes once again.

At what point will they realize they simply have too much money tied up on defense and something has to give there? Can't keep asking 29 and to a lesser extent 96 to flat carry the offense every year. They need reasonable help.

The one year that they had it, they won a Cup. And it's just going to be a shit show this year on offense with Landy a ? as to if he can play or how well, and Nuke who knows what hell is going to happen there. It shouldn't be terrible in the top 6 but the bottom 6 is going to be awful.
Yes, we can. In fact we must, because their salaries are a large part of why we don't have any depth. This is precisely what they are paid to do. You want 13M a year? You better have a strong back and be prepared to work.

Last edited:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I'd be happy with holtz+schmid...

Or Mercer..:sarcasm:
Holtz wouldn't be terrible. But if the Avs are trading RossCo, it's likely because Nuke will be returning as well as Drouin. So where would Holtz fit into that mess?

Is Ritchie really going to be our 3C next season? Should I start drinking now?
Don't worry, it's going to be Wagner.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I suspect Jersey will want to send at least some money back the other way. Anyone on their roster in the 1-1.5 million range have anyone excited?

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Holtz wouldn't be terrible. But if the Avs are trading RossCo, it's likely because Nuke will be returning as well as Drouin. So where would Holtz fit into that mess?
Holtz is only making 894k, so just plant him on 3rd line, give Landy a bit more time...

I suspect Jersey will want to send at least some money back the other way. Anyone on their roster in the 1-1.5 million range have anyone excited?
Nathan Bastien for our bottom 6

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
not really, and not arguing 1-1 values here, but Bahl would have been a decent depth piece.
Bastian as a #11-14 FWD who can PK maybe.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They don't have to, they have plenty of cap space.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
At what point will they realize they simply have too much money tied up on defense and something has to give there? Can't keep asking 29 and to a lesser extent 96 to flat carry the offense every year. They need reasonable help.

The one year that they had it, they won a Cup. And it's just going to be a shit show this year on offense with Landy a ? as to if he can play or how well, and Nuke who knows what hell is going to happen there. It shouldn't be terrible in the top 6 but the bottom 6 is going to be awful.
The key to the Cup year was that they had lots of players outperforming their contracts: MacKinnon, Kadri, Toews, Byram, Burakovsky, others. Now that all those players are being paid market value, we simply have less money to go around. I don't think it's a problem of too money in one place versus another, it's rather a problem of not enough money period.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The key to the Cup year was that they had lots of players outperforming their contracts: MacKinnon, Kadri, Toews, Byram, Burakovsky, others. Now that all those players are being paid market value, we simply have less money to go around. I don't think it's a problem of too money in one place versus another, it's rather a problem of not enough money period.
We have less money because some players take more money though.

The Avs have 2 gamebreakers in Mack and Makar. I'm OK with paying those 2 superstar money but in order to keep good depth to surround them I don't think we should be paying any winger or any other dman over 5M (with the current cap).

That means that Rants, Landy, Nuke and Toews are bad contracts to us (not at an individual level but at a team structure level).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad