Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Listened to Overdrive yesterday and shook my head at the guys talking about who on Earth would be interested in Laine? I can see plenty of teams, even top teams if there is retention by Columbus.

For some of the bottom teams:
Chicago: Obviously looking to add talent for Bedard
Seattle: They haven't had top talent in their roster for their whole short existance
Utah: Like Seattle
Nashville: They need goalscoring

Just to name a few

And with retention, I could see Vancouver being interested. They are looking for a top winger to play with EP40. I think they are going after Guenzel, but Laine could be a short term bet and with retention it gives them even more options with their roster construction. Guentzel is probably getting something in the 9s.

Laine has had injury issues (and also issues with his mental health I guess), so there's that. But in his 2nd and 3rd season with Columbus he was basically a PPG player, and for all of his reputation with lazyness and horrible defending, he ain't that bad at it.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Listened to Overdrive yesterday and shook my head at the guys talking about who on Earth would be interested in Laine? I can see plenty of teams, even top teams if there is retention by Columbus.

For some of the bottom teams:
Chicago: Obviously looking to add talent for Bedard
Seattle: They haven't had top talent in their roster for their whole short existance
Utah: Like Seattle
Nashville: They need goalscoring

Just to name a few

And with retention, I could see Vancouver being interested. They are looking for a top winger to play with EP40. I think they are going after Guenzel, but Laine could be a short term bet and with retention it gives them even more options with their roster construction. Guentzel is probably getting something in the 9s.

Laine has had injury issues (and also issues with his mental health I guess), so there's that. But in his 2nd and 3rd season with Columbus he was basically a PPG player, and for all of his reputation with lazyness and horrible defending, he ain't that bad at it.
Seattle would be my bet. Get Benies a winger and try to get going in the right direction again.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Laine with hefty retention sure. But 8.7mil on another winger would be incredibly stupid.
Not gonna be hefty retention, that's certain. Another team would pay more for a 4.35M cap hit Laine.

It would be a risky swap, but it would get the Nuke situation sorted early. That's why they are shopping him around. Better to get it done in the off-season than go through the process of getting rid of his contract which might take time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not gonna be hefty retention, that's certain. Another team would pay more for a 4.35M cap hit Laine.

It would be a risky swap, but it would get the Nuke situation sorted early. That's why they are shopping him around. Better to get it done in the off-season than go through the process of getting rid of his contract which might take time.
Then there’s no point of bringing him in. We’re already at risk of losing someone with Nuke at 6.125. Even if you bring Laine in at 6.125 it doesn’t help the cap situation and you’re bringing in a player that’s a major downgrade. If you can get him at like 50% sure but otherwise not worth it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
No one is trading for Nuke any time soon. We literally just saw Friedman talk about it. There is is simply too much risk an uncertainty for any team to even remotely consider it.

Short of the Avs selling the farm with it to bribe someone, it isn't happening.

The Avs only options are either terminate for material breach and fight the fight and eventually get some settlement with a cap hit of some sort. Or they can let him play until he f***s up again. Trade is possible, but extremely unlikely.

Once again options are limited and none of them are good. Not sure what is so difficult about this. We are kind of stuck with no great options.

Reactions: Chiarelli

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What a terrible take.

Do not touch Laine unless he's fully retained.
It was a hyperbole, we couldn't do it without some serious moves. But the point is: there is absolutely no value in Nuke. Laine, could actually have some. If you can get rid of Nuke and do it for Laine (even without retention), you f***ing do it. If for nothing else than to flip Laine onwards.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
You would be insane to not accept Laine for Nichushkin.

Getting rid of a problematic coke head who the locker room clearly wants gone for a guy who could provide much needed secondary offense would be a HUGE win for the Avs. Stick him next to Lehkonen and Mittelstadt.
There is just no cap space for that.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You would be insane to not accept Laine for Nichushkin.

Getting rid of a problematic coke head who the locker room clearly wants gone for a guy who could provide much needed secondary offense would be a HUGE win for the Avs. Stick him next to Lehkonen and Mittelstadt.
Except 1, no one is trading for Nuke. 2, we aren't trading for a one dimensional player who can't remotely stay healthy (mental health counts since he isn't in the lineup) making even more money.

If we are fortunate enough to sucker a team into trading for Nuke, it will have be for something at or below his cap hit. Most likely scenario would have to be Nuke plus something nice for a mid pick of some sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad