Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't been able to confirm it this morning (which means I probably shouldn't say anything at all)

But I was told that Jakob Chychrun has been informed that he will become a Boston Bruins.

AGAIN I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THAT WITH THE PERSON THAT WOULD KNOW.
Have more faith in your sources,like I said can’t remember where I even read it or who it was from.Tried to find it in my history but couldn’t.

Reactions: Gordoff

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't been able to confirm it this morning (which means I probably shouldn't say anything at all)

But I was told that Jakob Chychrun has been informed that he will become a Boston Bruins.

AGAIN I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THAT WITH THE PERSON THAT WOULD KNOW.
I hope you are right Dom......otherwise the Don Godfather may never forgive you lol

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It all depends on what type of discount he would be willing to take in response for being someplace he wants to be, and actually being in a competitive scenario for the first time in his career. Obviously to anger some there would be significant NMC and then NTC, because that is the case for all payers at his level. In the open market this offseason his deal would start with at leas an 8, possibly a 9. per year

I think he will sign for less than that. He’s a really solid player but his injury history is lengthy. He did play a full season last year which will help him out in those negotiations. However his two previous career highs in games played were 68 and 63

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Not blaming anyone - the entire structure of the PP was heavily flawed and eventually very easy to defend. You can blame Pasta if you'd like - but the issues with the PP occur 2-3 plays ahead of him missing the net because of the lack of movement in the forward group and because the Bruins do not have a shot threat from the point or bumper.

However, since you used the word blame, would you fully absolve McAvoy of his share?

Monty didn't pull Pasta or anyone else from PP1. He pulled McAvoy and replaced him with Lohrei, with nearly immediate positive results (if only he had kept him there a little longer).

The bottom line is the Bruins need OFFENSE wherever they can get it. At the very least Jakob Chychrun provides a tool the Bruins haven't had from the back-end since Krug. This doesn't necessarily mean McAvoy loses a place on the Power Play, either, though I think the notion that his paycheck guarantees him PP1 time is a bit off-putting. The stats speak for themselves. He had ONE PP goal last year.
So you ARE blaming him lol, you are wrong. The entire power play unit was flawed

Bruins power play is to defer to Pasta Not blast pucks from the point, want better results from the point? Change the strategy then.

Chychrun had 3 more points ( a career high) on the PP than Charlie. I think Charlie gets 5 more goals on the power play if he shots first rather than pass just by accident.

Lohrei = 3 points = immediate results?

Reactions: Kegs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So you ARE blaming him lol, you are wrong. The entire power play unit was flawed

Bruins power play is to defer to Pasta Not blast pucks from the point, want better results from the point? Change the strategy then.

Chychrun had 3 more points ( a career high) on the PP than Charlie. I think Charlie gets 5 more goals on the power play if he shots first rather than pass just by accident.

You are right the PP is geared to Pasta, and understandable but at some point you need to make adjustments and give the opposition something else to look at. I think one of the Bruin's offensive problems and not just on the PP, is that they need to shoot more, they talked about the big bodies they had out front well in my opinion shoot the puck look for rebounds, tips, block the goaltender sight , be disruptive but SHOOT THE DAMM PUCK !!!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

My biggest issue with the PP is their reluctance to shoot early in it.

There were a lot of times where the faceoff would be won back to the point and they’d dance around or make an unnecessary pass, instead of shooting right away…..before the defense can set themselves.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You are right the PP is geared to Pasta, and understandable but at some point you need to make adjustments and give the opposition something else to look at. I think one of the Bruin's offensive problems and not just on the PP, is that they need to shoot more, they talked about the big bodies they had out front well in my opinion shoot the puck look for rebounds, tips, block the goaltender sight , be disruptive but SHOOT THE DAMM PUCK !!!
Agreed, boy it would have been nice to have Savard coaching it and kick Kelly back up stairs and away from anything to do with offense

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Exactly. And having a dman who is a threat from the point creates room for everyone else. And sorry but McAvoy historically hasn’t had that in his toolbox

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Adding Chychrun is like putting new tires on vehicle with no motor. It’s not going to solve the obvious problem at center or lack of skill in the top six forwards, which I think is more critical than any problems in the defense.

I agree. If this was their only move.

If they get Chychrun and Lindholm, another impactful forward, and a bottom 6 forward with some jam, I think they’ll be a legit contender.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Exactly. And having a dman who is a threat from the point creates room for everyone else. And sorry but McAvoy historically hasn’t had that in his toolbox
Hogwash

McAvoy is safe

Pucks get blocked a 1000 times a game on the power play from the point around the league. Penalty killers are to skilled in todays game to just blast pucks at them

The days of an Al Macinnis are gone and have been for years

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Adding Chychrun is like putting new tires on vehicle with no motor. It’s not going to solve the obvious problem at center or lack of skill in the top six forwards, which I think is more critical than any problems in the defense.

This season will likely be another transition year, but they’ll address their D and G situations. I suspect SweeNeely will go on the attack in free agency and get a decent 2C.
After free agency, they’ll intentionally leave cap room open, so they can get their true 1C via trade during the season, if something should present itself, or have said cap room for next summer.
I don’t see them restricting themselves, inhibiting their ability to address THE critical area.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Not blaming anyone - the entire structure of the PP was heavily flawed and eventually very easy to defend. You can blame Pasta if you'd like - but the issues with the PP occur 2-3 plays ahead of him missing the net because of the lack of movement in the forward group and because the Bruins do not have a shot threat from the point or bumper.

However, since you used the word blame, would you fully absolve McAvoy of his share?

Monty didn't pull Pasta or anyone else from PP1. He pulled McAvoy and replaced him with Lohrei, with nearly immediate positive results (if only he had kept him there a little longer).

The bottom line is the Bruins need OFFENSE wherever they can get it. At the very least Jakob Chychrun provides a tool the Bruins haven't had from the back-end since Krug. This doesn't necessarily mean McAvoy loses a place on the Power Play, either, though I think the notion that his paycheck guarantees him PP1 time is a bit off-putting. The stats speak for themselves. He had ONE PP goal last year.
Yes, Pasta stopped being productive on the PP, but I don't blame him. Usually, I don't blame the coaches for the players' failures, but IMO the power play issue was that teams adjusted to the cross-ice pass to Pasta and that's why it stopped working. The coaches didn't do a good job of adjusting to that.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Hogwash

McAvoy is safe

Pucks get blocked a 1000 times a game on the power play from the point around the league. Penalty killers are to skilled in todays game to just blast pucks at them

The days of an Al Macinnis are gone and have been for years

This is incorrect. And nobody is talking about scoring on unscreened slap shots from the point like in the Macinnis days.

Normally I’d go deeper on this but with your history of tripling down when you are wrong there’s no point in going further with you.
Once you’re proved wrong that’s conveniently when we’ll have to “move on”

Reactions: DominicT

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yes, Pasta stopped being productive on the PP, but I don't blame him. Usually, I don't blame the coaches for the players' failures, but IMO the power play issue was that teams adjusted to the cross-ice pass to Pasta and that's why it stopped working. The coaches didn't do a good job of adjusting to that.
Need the right players to make adjustments, Bruins were thin in that department

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
This season will likely be another transition year, but they’ll address their D and G situations. I suspect SweeNeely will go on the attack in free agency and get a decent 2C.
After free agency, they’ll intentionally leave cap room open, so they can get their true 1C via trade during the season, if something should present itself, or have said cap room for next summer.
I don’t see them restricting themselves, inhibiting their ability to address THE critical area.
Maybe, but if Sweeney trades Ullmark for Chychrun, signs LIndholm or Stephenson, and gets a winger to replace JDB, they could be in the hunt next year. Not favorites, certainly, but a contender.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This is incorrect. And nobody is talking about scoring on unscreened slap shots from the point like in the Macinnis days.

Normally I’d go deeper on this but with your history of tripling down when you are wrong there’s no point in going further with you.
Once you’re proved wrong that’s conveniently when we’ll have to “move on”
Proved wrong by who you ? lol, Its difficult for you to fathom or comprehend another opinion ,really not sure why you are not working in the NHL with all your expertise you continue to bring to the table.

Im not being funny either you are a talent

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Definitely didn’t help that they didn’t try to work in other looks consistently. It was Pasta on the elbow or they tried to freewheel and find something organically. Which can work at 5 on 5 but on the PP you want to have structure+a couple other go-to plays to work in.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Chychrun has 28pp goals on Arizona and Ottawa and most of his goals were from him streaking down the wing and shooting from the faceoff circle…with far fewer from winding up slap shots from the point.

This is less about McAvoy than it is about Chychrun - and as much as I can tell you enjoy arguing, it’s not why I am here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad