Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
The last 3 trades Rob Blake has made according to CF:

View attachment 884516

So the 2nd round pick used to acquire PLD came from trading Sean Durzi.....it just makes it so much worse that all LAK has to show for all those players is Dracy Kuemper
Didn't he do this one to?

1718826017614.png

Edit: You said last 3 lol missed that

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Let's see what happens with Ullmark. Apparently the Kings were trying to acquire Ullmark as well prior to the PLD trade.

Reactions: bbfan419

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Would anyone here have on board with Ullmark for PLD? Obviously would have been a huge risk. But if PLD bounces back then boom you have your #1 center. I don't think I'd take the gamble, but it's interesting to consider. I wouldn't be shocked if PLD bounces back next season.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Capitals have lindgren at their #1 goalie
True, but are they confident with just him all the way? Would they be interested in a veteran partner to help Lindgren grow for a year? Ullmark for one year before their Ovi window closes forever.

The return wouldn't be great in this scenario. We'd pretty much just be shedding Ullmark's salary. Colorado might make a deal for him but teams like Ottawa aren't going to deal for Ullmark without an extension. Not for anything substantial .

Would anyone here have on board with Ullmark for PLD? Obviously would have been a huge risk. But if PLD bounces back then boom you have your #1 center. I don't think I'd take the gamble, but it's interesting to consider. I wouldn't be shocked if PLD bounces back next season.
I'd fully expect for PLD to bounce back for the first 40 games, maybe even a whole season, and then he'll be back to who he is. No thank you.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The last 3 trades Rob Blake has made according to CF:

View attachment 884516

So the 2nd round pick used to acquire PLD came from trading Sean Durzi.....it just makes it so much worse that all LAK has to show for all those players is Dracy Kuemper
I always thought it was overblown. The return for PLD was a couple of middle-six guys and a second round pick. A bit of quantity - not a lot of quality.

It’s that Dubois ended up being a complete dud for them that makes it look so much worse.

In the end though, I think they probably believe Kuemper has a couple of good years left in him, has his name on a Cup and isn’t too long-term of a commitment. That franchise hasn’t been affected all that negatively by the deal. They’re just fine.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
\

"Knowing there wasn’t a fit with Calgary, league sources say that Steve Staios, the Senators president of hockey operations and general manager, has been making a hard push to try to acquire Ullmark.

League sources say the Senators have circled back to the Bruins to see if there’s a fit to acquire Ullmark to steady the club’s struggling net and those talks have intensified."

Can anyone confirm this? Sounds like talks are heating up unless it just a garbage article/source

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
You want Lohrei locked into the top6 or top4? You said top6 but then the context made me think you meant top4. Fwiw, I think he's locked into the top6 even if they get a veteran D. I think they break him in the way they did Krug, 3rd pair at ES (while he learns to defend in the NHL) and 1st PP.

I don't think there's any reality where they build a team that puts Geekie on the 4th line. He's a strong 3rd liner. I don't think they need to sign 4 forwards either, or 3 forwards for that matter. They need a 1c and they need a play driver to replace DeBrusk, preferably with a RW to play with Marchand. Other than Lindholm, the UFA options are meh, IMO.

Guentzel is the only 'play driver' in the UFA class, but he's going to get paid Pasta money and I don't think they can afford both Lindholm and Guentzel. Lindholm is the bigger priority.

Reinhart is a career 30/30 guy who had a great season and you're going to end up paying for 90 point Reinhart not 60 point Reinhart. I don't think he's a play driver and I don't think you can afford both Reinhart and Lindholm. Plus, Reinhart and Lindholm play the same spot on the PP.

Stamkos isn't coming here. He and Pasta play the same spot on the PP. I think "fit" matters and you only have one PP1 bumper. You are selling someone on having that job and those goals.

Marchessault is not a play driver, not young and looking to get paid. Laine has baggage that would give me pause and he plays the same spot on the PP as Pasta. Toffoli isn't a play driver. Perron isn't young and isn't a play driver...

I'd be down for Necas. I like the idea of using Ulmark for a secondary scorer but I'm also okay with them using him for a 1st round pick.

So, I think they're going to look at those less than perfect UFA fits and say, why get locked into a long, expensive contract for someone we're not sure is going to work. Let's take a flyer on someone cheap and see if Lysell or Merkulov can beat them out of a job. At least Lysell can be a dynamic play driver. Maybe he's still not mature enough, that seems to be the opinion of those in the know, but that's why you sign the vet as insurance. And, there are good fits on defense, guys who could be impactful players, so I think that's why they lean that way.

I agree that Chiarelli’s teams were tough, intimidating and fun to watch… and I agree that Sweeney’s teams for the most part have not been tough or intimidating, but I don’t think that was an issue for the Bruins this year. I thought they were just as physical as Florida. We had just as many blow up hits as they did and outhit them in the series overall. No, we weren’t the 2011 Bruins but we lost that series on skill not toughness IMO.
For the last 3 years with the panthers Reinhardt is a point a game player.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
If the Garrioch report is true you got to think either Ottawa is not on Ullmark’s no trade list or he has given the go ahead to be dealt there. Maybe with an extension?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Let's say for a second that Huberdeau HATED being traded to Calgary and has been mailing it in since his huge season in Florida where he was mimicking Bergeron with his play.

Would you move Ullmark to Calgary for a 50% retained Huberdeau?
It's not my first choice, but I do it. Solves the Ullmark problem, but would be a giant question mark here at 1C. If he stays where he's at, 5ish mil for a 50 point center isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'd rather get a safer play at center, but this still makes them a better team

Reactions: Coach Parker

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's not my first choice, but I do it. Solves the Ullmark problem, but would be a giant question mark here at 1C. If he stays where he's at, 5ish mil for a 50 point center isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'd rather get a safer play at center, but this still makes them a better team

Hoobie is a winger.

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Let's say for a second that Huberdeau HATED being traded to Calgary and has been mailing it in since his huge season in Florida where he was mimicking Bergeron with his play.

Would you move Ullmark to Calgary for a 50% retained Huberdeau?
I'd be willing to bet more on Huberdeau recovering in Bostons system than someone like PLD.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Well. f*** me then. I swear he played center in Florida. I guess the question then is CAN he play center

he might have been one of those drafted as a center but ended up as a winger types but I don't remember. I just know he's been stapled at the wing for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: TD Charlie

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I would have been. I think that PLD is young and has bounced around from one shit situation to another. LA asking him to play back in a 1-3-1 on the third line was dumb. OF COURSE, PLD HAS REAL RED FLAGS. But, maybe because I was a late bloomer, I don't think its too late.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be willing to bet more on Huberdeau recovering in Bostons system than someone like PLD.

This is a great video out there that a Sportsnet writer did showing why Huberdeau excelled in FLA but has generally stunk in Calgary.

I don't know how his game translates to Boston but goes to show sometimes the system and the player need to fit really well for them to have success.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
This is a great video out there that a Sportsnet writer did showing why Huberdeau excelled in FLA but has generally stunk in Calgary.

I don't know how his game translates to Boston but goes to show sometimes the system and the player need to fit really well for them to have success.

I think as long as he is not the first man in the zone he will be much better. Given wingers like Pasta and Marchand I think it might fit his play style better.

Edit: Unless he is not going to play center which breaks this all apart.

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad