OT: Cars

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Sounds like you're getting good results. Here's a pro tip, do six slow passes in each direction in every 18 x 18 quadrant of the panel. Also turn the speed up to 5 on the first few passes, then lower it to 4 on the last couple.

It's very rare that you can achieve an almost perfect finish with one pad & one polish, so If you really want to get the best results possible, get yourself a superfine pad for the final finish.

The Ultracut is probably not designed to be a final finish, so you'll want a different product to get the best final results. Looks like this is Carpro's finishing polish...

This will probably take your paint to a level you'll be thrilled with, but everything is a bit of trial & error. However, if the Ultracut is working well on your car, usually products from the same line will also work well.

Final tip of the night...That guy in that video is a bit of a clown...stop following his lead. The best detailing videos are done by Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is one of the, if not the best in the business & really shows you how to achieve great results.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds like you're getting good results. Here's a pro tip, do six slow passes in each direction in every 18 x 18 quadrant of the panel. Also turn the speed up to 5 on the first few passes, then lower it to 4 on the last couple.

It's very rare that you can achieve an almost perfect finish with one pad & one polish, so If you really want to get the best results possible, get yourself a superfine pad for the final finish.

The Ultracut is probably not designed to be a final finish, so you'll want a different product to get the best final results. Looks like this is Carpro's finishing polish...

This will probably take your paint to a level you'll be thrilled with, but everything is a bit of trial & error. However, if the Ultracut is working well on your car, usually products from the same line will also work well.

Final tip of the night...That guy in that video is a bit of a clown...stop following his lead. The best detailing videos are done by Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is one of the, if not the best in the business & really shows you how to achieve great results.
Thanks for all the help. I have followed detailing to a small degree for decades but I'm sure you know a heck of a lot more. I will look in to those products. I already have the Lake Country Orange, Black and White pads but they are not the HDO pads. I do not follow that one guy (you called a clown) in that video. I have watched several videos recently but I have followed stuff on Autotopia going all the way back to around 2000. Only problem with some detailing boards is 10 people will give you 5-7 different opinions lol. :)

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Thanks for all the help. I have followed detailing to a small degree for decades but I'm sure you know a heck of a lot more. I will look in to those products. I already have the Lake Country Orange, Black and White pads but they are not the HDO pads. I do not follow that one guy (you called a clown) in that video. I have watched several videos recently but I have followed stuff on Autotopia going all the way back to around 2000. Only problem with some detailing boards is 10 people will give you 5-7 different opinions lol. :)
The reason you'll get so many opinions is two fold, as I said a lot of this can be trial & error & the bigger issue is that some products can do wonders on one car but not on another. Then there's the pad/product dilemma. Which one to use with which pad? it's a bit overwhelming, honestly...so the thing I tell guys is if you find something that works well for you, stick with it.

I got to the point that I would only have my cars painted with a specific clear coat from Axalta(Dupont) because I knew exactly how it would build on the surface, how easy it was to sand flat & how well it polished out. The products I used, including wet sand paper, buffing pads & polish, all stayed the same so I would have no surprises. Time is money & I didn't want to spin my wheels after all that work. I've had freshly painted clear coats that were a f***ing nightmare to sand or a nightmare to polish. It can make your life hell, believe me.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The reason you'll get so many opinions is two fold, as I said a lot of this can be trial & error & the bigger issue is that some products can do wonders on one car but not on another. Then there's the pad/product dilemma. Which one to use with which pad? it's a bit overwhelming, honestly...so the thing I tell guys is if you find something that works well for you, stick with it.

I got to the point that I would only have my cars painted with a specific clear coat from Axalta(Dupont) because I knew exactly how it would build on the surface, how easy it was to sand flat & how well it polished out. The products I used, including wet sand paper, buffing pads & polish, all stayed the same so I would have no surprises. Time is money & I didn't want to spin my wheels after all that work. I've had freshly painted clear coats that were a f***ing nightmare to sand or a nightmare to polish. It can make your life hell, believe me.
I believe you and totally agree. Even as just a once in a while detailer I have used at least a half dozen brands and over a dozen products. 😊

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Drove in sunshine today. I'm very pleased with both the results and ease of use. Now keep in mind I was not looking for a show car level job. I think that is impossible with my 17 year old abused black paint. I would say it took care of 85%-90% of my issues and I did that in just 10-15 minutes on the hood/top of fenders and 8-10 minutes on trunk/top of quarter panels. Just 1 product (Carpro Ultracut) and 1 pad (LakeCountry HDO Blue).

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Drove in sunshine today. I'm very pleased with both the results and ease of use. Now keep in mind I was not looking for a show car level job. I think that is impossible with my 17 year old abused black paint. I would say it took care of 85%-90% of my issues and I did that in just 10-15 minutes on the hood/top of fenders and 8-10 minutes on trunk/top of quarter panels. Just 1 product (Carpro Ultracut) and 1 pad (LakeCountry HDO Blue).
Let's see some pics.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Let's see some pics.
I took these this morning just for myself. I do not know if you will be able to tell anything from them. Its in my garage so you see the lights reflected.
Hood.jpg
Trunk.jpg

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
What jalopies do you have in the stable?

black 96 TA 6spd LT1 with t-tops (actually light on power modifications but still put 290hp to the ground - had her since she was 4yrs old)
Ol 86 Sierra Classic half ton with a 350 4bbl that still goes to work (with some nice dad options of cruise, pl, pw, ac etc)

My buddy threw the keys to his 99 2 door Explorer Sport back at me in April past, I used to own it some 12-13 years ago and sold it to him for what I was into it for because he needed a vehicle. He was going to donate it and was hesitant to let me have it because it needed work but he's not mechanically inclined (that one is gettin the love right now as I daily drive it!)

Then the kids got their rides that clog up the driveway and street lol

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
black 96 TA 6spd LT1 with t-tops (actually light on power modifications but still put 290hp to the ground - had her since she was 4yrs old)
Ol 86 Sierra Classic half ton with a 350 4bbl that still goes to work (with some nice dad options of cruise, pl, pw, ac etc)

My buddy threw the keys to his 99 2 door Explorer Sport back at me in April past, I used to own it some 12-13 years ago and sold it to him for what I was into it for because he needed a vehicle. He was going to donate it and was hesitant to let me have it because it needed work but he's not mechanically inclined (that one is gettin the love right now as I daily drive it!)

Then the kids got their rides that clog up the driveway and street lol
Cool! That 86 pick up probably gets a lot of attention, but the TA is really a fun car to drive with a 6 speed.

The black '67 Chevelle I posted earlier in the thread has a LS1/T-56 that I pulled from a 2002 Camaro. It was such a blast to drive with that 6 speed.

IMG_0027.JPG

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad