Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well at least we won't have to see any PLD trade proposals for awhile.

Dubois himself basically admitted he has a tough time adjusting to new environments, so good luck with that Washington.

The return shows how badly LA wanted to get out of that contract commitment.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It's not my first choice, but I do it. Solves the Ullmark problem, but would be a giant question mark here at 1C. If he stays where he's at, 5ish mil for a 50 point center isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'd rather get a safer play at center, but this still makes them a better team

That was my thought; having him at 5.25 locked up is basically another Charlie Coyle BUT if he is re-invigorated by the trade and now starts playing at FLA level, you have a great top line C.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think Lauko has that dimension of being a player who's fast and is disruptive on the forecheck . He lead the regulars on the team in hits per minutes played and among all players in the league with at least 60 games played, he was 6th in hits per 60. If he can make that next step in his development, I think he's your guy. He has a good shot but I feel like his puck skills took a step back this season.
Yeah, he might be that guy. I feel like he took a lot of bad penalties last year but you are right about his skill set, he’s fast, disruptive and can play. He’s willing to fight but not a guy who can take on heavies like Duhaime has.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
This is a great video out there that a Sportsnet writer did showing why Huberdeau excelled in FLA but has generally stunk in Calgary.

I don't know how his game translates to Boston but goes to show sometimes the system and the player need to fit really well for them to have success.

Thanks for posting this. Just looking around at teams that are about to enter rebuilds and his name stood out after the Mangipane trade rumours paired with the Markstrom move.

Problem is that he is 31 and 7 more years...........

Yeah real red flag for me. I'd rather bet on the 26 year old Laine for that cap hit and only two years.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I did mean Top 4 for Lohrei - thanks. And maybe I used “play driver” too liberally - need high end talent is probably what I should have said. I really don’t think Stamkos or Reinhart end up available anyway, but I wouldn’t rule out any of the top potential guys given how weak a class it is. Though I tend to agree on Stamkos anyway.
No worries. FWIW, I use the term play driver too and I do think that if Coyle is your 2c then you need a 2nd play driver on that line. I don’t hate Coyle in that role, I think he brings value as a heavy body down low and around the net, every line needs that and he can do that, but for that line to be effective in the playoffs they need a 2nd guy creating and driving play so the other team can’t just focus on Marchand.

Guentzel is the only guy in free agency that I think can do that. That is Lysell’s game too, whether he is mature enough or capable of bringing that at the NHL level I don’t know.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Only possible teams to me for Linus and a few are big maybes

Chicago (think he doesn't waive, but a fat extension?)
Carolina (think he doesn't waive)
Avs
Toronto (does Sweeney dare?)
Utah (would he really?)

That may be it? I didn't put teams where I feel there's no shot he waives. I think 50-50 he's on the team when the next season starts, lol. So if Linus blocks say 3 of those, this is gonna get ugly. Might be a Taylor Hall situation in reverse.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That was my thought; having him at 5.25 locked up is basically another Charlie Coyle BUT if he is re-invigorated by the trade and now starts playing at FLA level, you have a great top line C.
I can’t see his level of play getting much worse than his Calgary stats the last two years. That’s worth 5-6 mil and a gamble that he gets the Pastrnak rub, and gets back to 70ish points

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Would anyone here trade swayman for Brady Tkachuk ? He is my favourite Tkachuk. Being from Ontario I’ve seen him play plenty.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Avs
Utah (would he really?)

That may be it? I didn't put teams where I feel there's no shot he waives. I think 50-50 he's on the team when the next season starts, lol. So if Linus blocks say 3 of those, this is gonna get ugly. Might be a Taylor Hall situation in reverse.

What about Detroit?

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

Avs
Utah (would he really?)

There's nothing wrong with Utah Goaltending
Connor Ingram is a more than capable # 1 goalie
I'm going to say and this is based off that he wants to stay on the East Coast:
Flyers
Sens
Blue Jackets
Red Wings
Might all be looking for a starting Goalie

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Would anyone here trade swayman for Brady Tkachuk ? He is my favourite Tkachuk. Being from Ontario I’ve seen him play plenty.

I mentioned it last week really just for discussion purposes on a slow day, since there is about a 99% certainty it doesn’t happen.

The way I phrased it though was by asking us to look at it from the lens of a non Bruins fan.

If you were a Dallas fan and didn’t care about either team would you think it was a crazy trade if it happened?

Which team would you think got the better of the deal?

Who would need to add?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
would be surprised if ottawa is on ullmark's approved list. am not surprised that staios is seemingly trying to convince him
to go there. the shrinking goalie market today is certainly not a great sign overall.
Or the shrinking goalie market has the opposite effect.

If Trotz gets Saros signed to his extension sooner rather then later, everyone will be bidding for Ullmark.

I'm not to concerned about the M-NTC.

I've also been saying for months that if Sweeney misses out on the players he is gunning for, he will keep both goalies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I mentioned it last week really just for discussion purposes on a slow day, since there is about a 99% certainty it doesn’t happen.

The way I phrased it though was by asking us to look at it from the lens of a non Bruins fan.

If you were a Dallas fan and didn’t care about either team would you think it was a crazy trade if it happened?

Which team would you think got the better of the deal?

Who would need to add?
Boston would need to add, and not just a little.

Brady is their franchise player right now and a proven talent.

Swayman is a young star as well, but goaltenders can fall off the face of the planet. Injuries and playstyles can turn a great goaltender into a mere mortal quickly.

Reactions: sarge88

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
32 Teams in the NHL - Bruins = 31

Teams with no goalie issues:

Tampa, Rangers, Islanders, Winnipeg, Dallas, FLA, STL, LAK, NJ, VAN

Leaves 21 teams....

Of those 21, these teams could be playoff contenders and an upgrade at G would definitely help.... EDM, CAR, COL, TOR, VEGAS(?)

Who has the money though...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Or the shrinking goalie market has the opposite effect.

If Trotz gets Saros signed to his extension sooner rather then later, everyone will be bidding for Ullmark.

I'm not to concerned about the M-NTC.

I've also been saying for months that if Sweeney misses out on the players he is gunning for, he will keep both goalies.

Where do you think he’ll end up?

Or at least which 2/3 teams are most likely?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
1718830092642.png

Reactions: BMC and TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I always thought it was overblown. The return for PLD was a couple of middle-six guys and a second round pick. A bit of quantity - not a lot of quality.

It’s that Dubois ended up being a complete dud for them that makes it look so much worse.

In the end though, I think they probably believe Kuemper has a couple of good years left in him, has his name on a Cup and isn’t too long-term of a commitment. That franchise hasn’t been affected all that negatively by the deal. They’re just fine.

Vilardi was 23yr old top prospect coming off a 41pt season in 63gp.

Iaffalo was 29yrs old amd had put up 35p in 59gp the season before being traded

Kupari was a 23yr old depth guy

Durzi (how the 2nd was acquired) was 24yr old and had just put up 38pt in 72gp

I think there's more quality there than you think. Is it superstar quality? No. Durzi & Vilardi are very good pieces with upside however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad