Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Here's my attempt at some kind of off-season. Not sure how I feel about it. I don't have it, but I don't know that I love it either, and I'm likely off on some contract values but that's why I'm on here and not a GM for a team lol:

Trade(s)
To Carolina: Ullmark + Lysell + Lauko
To Boston: Necas + 2024 3rd

Signings
Swayman - 8yr / $7 million
Necas - 7yr / $7.25 million
Lindholm - 7yr / $8 million
Vrana - 1yr / $775k
Carrier - 1yr / $1 million
Cole - 1yr / $1.5 million
Driedger - 1yr / $1 million
Bussi - 2yr / $800k
Whalstrom - 1yr / $775k

Line-up
Zacha - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Necas
Vrana - Poitras - Frederic
Carrier - Geekie - Brazeau

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Cole - Peeke

Swayman
Bussi or Driedger

Extra: Beecher, Wahlstrom, Wotherspoon

This would leave the Bruins with roughly $500k to $700k in cap space.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
That would assume, of course, that restricted free agent-to-be Swayman finally works out what should be a lengthy and rich contract extension that could exceed the franchise-record (eight years, $56 million) deal for a goalie that Tuukka Rask signed in July 2013.

Rask was 26 at the time, just as the salary cap moved up to a record $64.3 million. His $7 million cap hit at the time compared with next season’s $87.2 million team max would yield a payday of $9.49 million per season for Swayman. That’s Charlie McAvoy dough.

Let the debate begin as to whether Sweeney and team president Cam Neely feel a franchise goalie is worth the same pay as their franchise defenseman.
I wonder at what point do they extend Ullmark instead? He presumably wants to stay. If Swayman can bring back a Tkachuk or Draisaitl level of player, they have to think about it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here's my attempt at some kind of off-season. Not sure how I feel about it. I don't have it, but I don't know that I love it either, and I'm likely off on some contract values but that's why I'm on here and not a GM for a team lol:

Trade(s)

Signings
Vrana - 1yr / $775k
Bussi - 2yr / $800k
Whalstrom - 1yr / $775k

Line-up
Marchand - Coyle - Necas

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Cole - Peeke

Swayman
Bussi or Driedger

Not bad , but still have to account for Reilly buyout and Looch bonus. ~ 1.9 million

Reactions: Gordoff and ON3M4N

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Danton Heinen has a history of declining the year after he has a productive year, so keep that in mind.He is also a player that has reached 40 points once in his career. Please stop wasting time with this guy.
That's not his role though. He's the type of guy that every team has a use for.

Can play anywhere in the lineup ina pinch and not be miscast. He's obviously not a long term solution as a top 6 guy for a team, but he can absolutely give you something there.

Defensively responsible, PKs.

Absolutely a guy that you re-sign if the ask is reasonable.

Truly don't understand the Heinen hate. He's a good bottom 6 guy.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's not his role though. He's the type of guy that every team has a use for.

Can play anywhere in the lineup ina pinch and not be miscast. He's obviously not a long term solution as a top 6 guy for a team, but he can absolutely give you something there.

Defensively responsible, PKs.

Absolutely a guy that you re-sign if the ask is reasonable.

Truly don't understand the Heinen hate's a good bottom 6 guy.
But he didn't play bottom six, he was with Pasta. Type of guy that every team can use well maybe you should send your post to the 31 other GMs that did not sign him last year, and had to wait for a PTO from the Bruins.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure why the Bruins would retain since their motivation for a Linus deal is cap space. And NJ has $20 million in cap space, so it's not like they are in dire need for the Bruins to retain. They do have some players that need contracts but nothing that will break the bank. And yes, he carries the lowest cap hit of the three.

As for the return. I don't know and don't want to speculate. I will leave that to others.
I am into speculation

The scale shows Ullmark for Boston which can be tweeted

Mercer or the 10th pick on the other

Lou tells me he believes Mercer is a RW better place for him

Lou would know

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
But he didn't play bottom six, he was with Pasta. Type of guy that every team can use well maybe you should send your post to the 31 other GMs that did not sign him last year, and had to wait for a PTO from the Bruins.
So you wouldn't take Forsling now just because he played poorly before and was put on waivers?
If you want to move on from him fine; depending on the cost I would agree.
My point is that he was given an opportunity, and made the most of that opportunity and exceeded expectations. Because of that he deserves another shot somewhere in the league for a reasonable salary.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Trade(s)

Signings
Vrana - 1yr / $775k
Bussi - 2yr / $800k
Whalstrom - 1yr / $775k

Line-up
Marchand - Coyle - Necas

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Cole - Peeke

Swayman
Bussi or Driedger

As with every mock lineup there are things to like and things to question.

The big issue is that just like I’ve done with every mock lineup I’ve done, is that there are so many additions.

It almost never seems to happen where a team brings in up to 6 new “starters”.

But, it’s definitely fun to do in the summer.

I think if they bring in 4 guys who are in the opening night lineup that aren’t in the system today, it will be a lot.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So you wouldn't take Forsling now just because he played poorly before and was put on waivers?
If you want to move on from him fine; depending on the cost I would agree.
My point is that he was given an opportunity, and made the most of that opportunity and exceeded expectations. Because of that he deserves another shot somewhere in the league for a reasonable salary.

It was also a tough salary market last season. Heinen is not the kind of player you move heaven and earth to get on your roster so when things are really tight, he is someone easy to pass on. In a league with a much more amenable cap environment for most teams, he will find a home. I hope it is with us.

As with every mock lineup there are things to like and things to question.

The big issue is that just like I’ve done with every mock lineup I’ve done, is that there are so many additions.

It almost never seems to happen where a team brings in up to 6 new “starters”.

But, it’s definitely fun to do in the summer.

I think if they bring in 4 guys who are in the opening night lineup that aren’t in the system today, it will be a lot.

That is always an issue for me with these proposals- when is the last time an NHL team turned over 8 or 9 players in an off-season?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It was also a tough salary market last season. Heinen is not the kind of player you move heaven and earth to get on your roster so when things are really tight, he is someone easy to pass on. In a league with a much more amenable cap environment for most teams, he will find a home. I hope it is with us.

That is always an issue for me with these proposals- when is the last time an NHL team turned over 8 or 9 players in an off-season?

Being someone who is guilty of wasting a solid 2-3 hours of time a week in the summer doing mocks on Capfriendly, I can see how it happens.

You put a few guys into a lineup that you want, then you realize that you need to shave salary to fit them in so you keep adjusting to get under the cap and before you know it you’ve got a whole new third line and two guys you don’t even like on the blue line.

😂😂

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Having pondered this now, my emotional side wants the Oilers to win.

But my rational side says a Florida win is better for the 2024-2025 Bruins.

Reinhart with a ring probably goes to find a pay day elsewhere (same with many of their FA'S). Drai one step closer to leaving.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wonder at what point do they extend Ullmark instead? He presumably wants to stay. If Swayman can bring back a Tkachuk or Draisaitl level of player, they have to think about it.

If Swayman brings a "Tkachuk or Draisaitl level of player" then yeah you have to think about it, but that seems highly unlikely to say the least. Although Sway would clearly return more. Like you could get that Chychrun, and a first, or maybe even Mercer and a first, but no bleeping way do I make that trade.

Which is more uncomfortable. paying Swayman a million more than you want, all the way to him being 2 years older than Ullmark is today. Or saving 2 million by instead signing Ullmark into his age 38 or 39 season? I know which scares me a lot more

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
My latest plan. 😂

If you can really get Necas or Mercer for Ullmark, then replace Marchessault with them instead. This version has picks for Ullmark. I like the physical aspect of the third and fourth lines, and the size of Edmundson on the back end. I don’t like the idea of overpaying for Lindholm, so I’d rather get a good wing. You could swap out Lafferty for Heinen for around the same price instead, but I like Lafferty’s 190 hits too.

IMG_4055.jpeg

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
As this Sarge burner account
Kind of silly that this all comes down to the fact that you’re mad because I think the guy is third liner but not exactly a priority to sign until later in the summer, if he’s needed.

Granted, I don’t want him here for myriad reasons….98% of which are simply cap related and because he’s redundant with the lineup they have at the moment.

That’s really it.

Flame away.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
If Swayman brings a "Tkachuk or Draisaitl level of player" then yeah you have to think about it, but that seems highly unlikely to say the least. Although Sway would clearly return more. Like you could get that Chychrun, and a first, or maybe even Mercer and a first, but no bleeping way do I make that trade.

Which is more uncomfortable. paying Swayman a million more than you want, all the way to him being 2 years older than Ullmark is today. Or saving 2 million by instead signing Ullmark into his age 38 or 39 season? I know which scares me a lot more
You don't consider it at all unless Swayman returns that type of player, and if he can't, then he shouldn't be paid like he is one because the market says he isn't. If that deal is out there, then you look at what an extension for each of them would cost. I don't think Ullmark gets 8 years but if Swayman wants Vasilevsky money, the gap is way more than 2 mil. If that's all it is, you go with Swayman, but if Ullmark would take less to stay and that gap is more like 4-5 mil, now it's a hard decision.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

They could do that, but to me, that's madness.

Swayman is 25 and has proven through his playoff run that he is Boston's No. 1 goaltender for the foreseeable future.

Remember, Ullmark is 30. His playoff performance remains a question.

The nature of the position effects how much, or how little, teams value goaltending and what they are willing to spend for it.

Yes you can win with average goaltending, but that is the exception to the rule. Yes, Swayman will get paid, and he deserves every penny.

Stellar goaltending and excellence at center build a strong, resilient club.

As good as LD and MT are, I wouldn't mess with a very good thing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Got to admit. While it is 99% not likely. There is a part of me that fantasizes about a deal around Swayman and Brady Tkachuk (obviously we add) with Ullmark extending for another 3/4 years, giving them time to see if Bussi can be the #1 or developing another guy for that role.

And this isn’t an anti Swayman comment. But if things go awry this summer, they may need to change course.

(I still think Sway is back for 7.5 x 7 or similar)

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Line-up
Marchand - Coyle - Necas
Wow. Vrana is definitely interesting on a league minimum contract or a PTO. I wish he made the Czech team but if he can keep his head straight and get back to form, that could be a dangerous line up. My only critique is that he shouldn't be on the 3rd line. If we actually intend to sign him, give him some skill to work with and as much offensive zone draws as you can.

Vrana Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Lindholm Necas
Frederic Coyle Geekie
xxx Beecher Brazeau

I think you need an ace-pker in that 4LW spot to form a duo with Beecher but otherwise I really like the idea.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Wow. Vrana is definitely interesting on a league minimum contract or a PTO. I wish he made the Czech team but if he can keep his head straight and get back to form, that could be a dangerous line up. My only critique is that he shouldn't be on the 3rd line. If we actually intend to sign him, give him some skill to work with and as much offensive zone draws as you can.

Vrana Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Lindholm Necas
Frederic Coyle Brazeau
xxx Beecher Brazeau

I think you need an ace-pker in that 4LW spot to form a duo with Beecher but otherwise I really like the idea.
I’d be concerned about double shifting Brazeau

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Ullmark sucks in the playoffs its going to be Bussi in net after Ullmark puts us in a hole like always. Can we extend him without a full NMC probably not and we know what hes like blocking trades where he'd be starting on a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad