Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Obviously ppg doesn't capture all context including other attributes like defense and faceoffs (couldn't find a nice %xG graph). There are tradeoffs involved. But would you rather have Lindholm at 7x$7.5M or Stephenson at 5x$6M? I think Stephenson will end up being a better value.

I do think Lindholm is a significantly better player, But we have no idea who will be a better value at this point. If Stephenson is close to Lindholm why do we believe he will sign for 22 million dollars less than Lindhom?

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I do think Lindholm is a significantly better player, But we have no idea who will be a better value at this point. If Stephenson is close to Lindholm why do we believe he will sign for 22 million dollars less than Lindhom?
All projections show less money and term for Stephenson presumably because he's had a shorter and less consistent career. I would argue they are pretty close giving Lindholm the edge.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Utah is one team out there who way below floor - gotta sign Durzi & Moser RFA so that gets them probably close to 10 -12 M under

They will be interesting- not a great FA class kind of meh so Sweeney needs to be careful you aren’t getting a good player at an inflated price

Bruins trade Ullmark and his 5 M goes to Bussi & Swayman so it’s a wash

DeBrusk & Heinen are around 9 M

Still got 11+ M for a C and third pair LD

Great job last 2-3 years cap management they are playing chess as teams playing checkers like the Flyers, Islanders, Toronto etc have made things very difficult for themselves

Reactions: The Un4casted Storm

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Utah is one team out there who way below floor - gotta sign Durzi & Moser RFA so that gets them probably close to 10 -12 M under

They will be interesting- not a great FA class kind of meh so Sweeney needs to be careful you aren’t getting a good player at an inflated price

Bruins trade Ullmark and his 5 M goes to Bussi & Swayman so it’s a wash

DeBrusk & Heinen are around 9 M

Still got 11+ M for a C and third pair LD

Great job last 2-3 years cap management they are playing chess as teams playing checkers like the Flyers, Islanders, Toronto etc have made things very difficult for themselves
I am going to preface my thoughts by saying I like Debrusk, and Heinen to a lesser extent, and for the right price and term would like them back. If they have to pay 6.5 to 7 long term for Debrusk I am out though. I would rather pay an extra million or two and upgrade if need be to Guentzel. He is a more proven scorer and doesn't disappear for long stretches like Jake is prone to do. I also have interest in Stamkos on a shorter term deal. Bringing back Jake and Heinen isn't improving a team that needs improving.

I'm leery of Lindholm long term at big money too but at least understand the need. Reinhart is likely a pipe dream but at a certain point it makes sense to go big game hunting rather than settle for mediocrity. He likely isn't scoring 57 goals here, but 35 to 40 wouldn't suck. Maybe they trade for Necas or get a good return for Linus....lot of variables to consider. I just feel this team needs more offensive punch rather than staying with the status quo.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I am going to preface my thoughts by saying I like Debrusk, and Heinen to a lesser extent, and for the right price and term would like them back. If they have to pay 6.5 to 7 long term for Debrusk I am out though. I would rather pay an extra million or two and upgrade if need be to Guentzel. He is a more proven scorer and doesn't disappear for long stretches like Jake is prone to do. I also have interest in Stamkos on a shorter term deal. Bringing back Jake and Heinen isn't improving a team that needs improving.

I'm leery of Lindholm long term at big money too but at least understand the need. Reinhart is likely a pipe dream but at a certain point it makes sense to go big game hunting rather than settle for mediocrity. He likely isn't scoring 57 goals here, but 35 to 40 wouldn't suck. Maybe they trade for Necas or get a good return for Linus....lot of variables to consider. I just feel this team needs more offensive punch rather than staying with the status quo.
Great post

I buy everything you are saying

I love Guentzel and you secure him I’m all over it - it’s certainly possible where I find it a fantasy Stamkos who’s a pillar in Tampa hockey circles with Santa Claus age kids and his perfect house is going to leave - the guy is going to have a statue someday day don’t see it in Boston or anywhere else

Reinhart is having a Roger Maris type year - but like Maris the average Reinhart is still very good. Zito said he’s a priority and logic says he knows he’s probably not this version going forward so I’m him slide me in at Tkachuks $9.5 below Barkov $10 M I’m staying and I think he is

I see the same as those here who look at DeBrusk in a hockey sense not an agenda based - and why I’m at 6 M give or take a half mil either way

Guentzel I’d go $8.5 M a significant amount higher $2.5 M then Jake

He’s there best shot but Carolina going to be aggressive

Necas - Also would bump DeBrusk from me if had to pick one but they can get both

Lindholm would be very good fit for atleast 3-4 years and then we see if he ages like Bergeron

7/56 Lindholm I’d do but would they

I’m serious I want DeBrusk back but I would not go 7 years or 7 M and he’s probably got that somewhere people around me think

It’s up to him

My belief is Sweeney if he wants him - likes a lot but not love struck is under his best offer by a year and a mil

If DeBrusk getting 7 years offered to agent and Bruins at 5 years he’s likely gone

Necas is the one I am most interested in but Carolina can likely get better offers prospect wise elsewhere

They are like losing two top 4 D and Carlo would be a perfect guy to swap for looking over their roster but creates a hole for Boston they would need to go into FA

Bruins need another high end F and Necas or Guentzel fit

Lindholm is a different player but would work

The craziness should start after this series is over

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Great post

I love Guentzel and you secure him I’m all over it - it’s certainly possible where I find it a fantasy Stamkos who’s a pillar in Tampa hockey circles with Santa Claus age kids and his perfect house is going to leave - the guy is going to have a statue someday day don’t see it in Boston or anywhere else

Reinhart is having a Roger Maris type year - but like Maris the average Reinhart is still very good. Zito said he’s a priority and logic says he knows he’s probably not this version going forward so I’m him slide me in at Tkachuks $9.5 below Barkov $10 M I’m staying and I think he is

I see the same as those here who look at DeBrusk in a hockey sense not an agenda based - and why I’m at 6 M give or take a half mil either way

Necas - Also would bump DeBrusk from me if had to pick one but they can get both

Lindholm would be very good fit for atleast 3-4 years and then we see if he ages like Bergeron

I’m serious I want DeBrusk back but I would not go 7 years or 7 M and he’s probably got that somewhere people around me think

It’s up to him

My belief is Sweeney if he wants him - likes a lot but not love struck is under his best offer by a year and a mil

If DeBrusk getting 7 years offered to agent and Bruins at 5 years he’s likely gone

Necas is the one I am most interested in but Carolina can likely get better offers prospect wise elsewhere

They are like losing two top 4 D and Carlo would be a perfect guy to swap for looking over their roster but creates a hole for Boston they would need to go into FA

Double post

Last edited:

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Great post

It’s up to him

Great and well thought out post. Do not disagree with any of it. Hoping Sweeney can see they need to get a little aggressive to get over the hump. I love Carlo but would move him in the right deal, as i think defensive help is attainable for a reasonable price. Right or wrong....I still worry about concussions with him.

if Tampa needs to move on from Stamkos, I am on the phone with him as soon as allowed. I feel he would be open to Boston. Just my opinion.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Devils have asked the league for contract terms on Gibson, Markstrom and Linus and received them.

No one wants a repeat of the Dadonov situation.
That's exciting. Would the Bruins pay part of the contract for a bigger return since he only has one year? he is already the least expensive of the group correct? What would you expect a potential deal to look like? Underwhelming?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's exciting. Would the Bruins pay part of the contract for a bigger return since he only has one year? he is already the least expensive of the group correct? What would you expect a potential deal to look like? Underwhelming?
I'm not sure why the Bruins would retain since their motivation for a Linus deal is cap space. And NJ has $20 million in cap space, so it's not like they are in dire need for the Bruins to retain. They do have some players that need contracts but nothing that will break the bank. And yes, he carries the lowest cap hit of the three.

As for the return. I don't know and don't want to speculate. I will leave that to others.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I'm not sure why the Bruins would retain since their motivation for a Linus deal is cap space. And NJ has $20 million in cap space, so it's not like they are in dire need for the Bruins to retain. They do have some players that need contracts but nothing that will break the bank. And yes, he carries the lowest cap hit of the three.

As for the return. I don't know and don't want to speculate. I will leave that to others.
My thought was maybe retention could net them a good young player, but if NJ does not need the space it doesn't make as much sense. Regardless.....I guess everything depends on his no trade list. He could do worse then NJ as a new home though and I would guess they might like to extend him. If we hear they are still in pursuit maybe it is a sign he does not have them on his no trade list.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

What are Bruins’ plans in net?​

It remains, as expected, pin-drop quiet around the Bruins, who have yet to announce any roster augmentations following their Game 6 dismissal by the Panthers on May 17.

The biggest potential skate to fall remains a trade for Linus Ullmark, their co-No. 1 stopper, with the Devils consistently rumored to be a suitor. Ullmark packed up in Brighton three weeks ago, steadfast in his refusal to make public what teams he would accept in a swap. It is widely assumed that Newark would not be one of his accepted safe harbors.

Meanwhile, it is not a fait accompli that Ullmark, who turns 31 on July 31, is a goner. If GM Don Sweeney is unable to buy impactful free agents when the market opens July 1, the most stabilizing force in the lineup would be a return to the Jeremy Swayman-Ullmark tandem.

That would assume, of course, that restricted free agent-to-be Swayman finally works out what should be a lengthy and rich contract extension that could exceed the franchise-record (eight years, $56 million) deal for a goalie that Tuukka Rask signed in July 2013.

Rask was 26 at the time, just as the salary cap moved up to a record $64.3 million. His $7 million cap hit at the time compared with next season’s $87.2 million team max would yield a payday of $9.49 million per season for Swayman. That’s Charlie McAvoy dough.

Let the debate begin as to whether Sweeney and team president Cam Neely feel a franchise goalie is worth the same pay as their franchise defenseman.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
My thought was maybe retention could net them a good young player, but if NJ does not need the space it doesn't make as much sense. Regardless.....I guess everything depends on his no trade list. He could do worse then NJ as a new home though and I would guess they might like to extend him. If we hear they are still in pursuit maybe it is a sign he does not have them on his no trade list.
Even if they are on his list, he could be convinced to waive. Linus would be getting bad advice to not at least consider it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
wow. i watched nearly every minute of the playoffs and cant believe the dakota joshua band wagon has us paying him 3.5 a year to play with pasta on the first line. wow. just wow. sure fire way to cripple this franchise. I assume he gets a 7 year deal and a NTC too. this guy is not close to 3.5 in value. Total 64 Pts in 184 GP, and 8 playoffs Pts in 14 GP. Like his style but no way i pay him that money never mind slotting him into the top line. ridiculous. comparing him to Heinen is like apples to oranges two very different players its irrelevant.
You will have a lot of haters now, me not being one of them.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Even if they are on his list, he could be convinced to waive. Linus would be getting bad advice to not at least consider it.
I agree completely. He must realize if he stays he will play less this year, which will hurt his value in a contract year. They aren't going to pay Swayman to not play him In would imagine. Will be a fun off-season to watch. I do fully believe he wants to stay which will make things very interesting.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Starters and bench/callups

Joshua -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Marchand -- Zacha -- DeBrusk

Frederic -- Coyle -- Geekie

Beecher -- Boqvist -- Brazeau

Lauko -- Poitras -- Lysell

Dillon -- McAvoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

Lohrei -- Peeke

Wotherspoon -- Regula

Swayman
Bussi
Joshua would be a nice addition to this team, but get real not sure the money is true but if it is 3.5 million, forget about it, and putting him on the first line , Pasta will send out a message to his friends in the league to recruit him. Lindholm, upfront don't want him to much money and the terms are too long, 7 years please and he also played third line for Vancouver. Dillon like Joshua would be a nice add, but not sure the cost for him but at 34 ummm, and to think he is a top pair with McAvoy , not so sure about that. Bruins fans best keep in mind that they all hyped about getting a center, nothing wrong with that thinking but, Sweeney has a habit of kicking the can down the road, and not looking ahead to what is the next problem they will face, Brad Marchand. You can all talk about how much cap space they have but it can be eaten very quickly and if the right moves are not made, this team could be filling holes constantly. I am not saying it is easy, but Sweeney needs to be creative and talk to every team, about players that might not be even rumored to be on the market. But going younger, bigger and speed, should be the formula.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree. Some players deteriorate because the skill that got them there fades away. As long as Heinen stays healthy and doesn't get stupider he should still be a serviceable piece somewhere for the near future.
Danton Heinen has a history of declining the year after he has a productive year, so keep that in mind.He is also a player that has reached 40 points once in his career. Please stop wasting time with this guy.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If the Cats somehow retain Reinhart this year, I wonder if they’d be able to retain Verhaeghe next year.

Guys a menace in the playoffs as well. Would love either one tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad