Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Remember when SJ wanted Martin Jones and LA wouldn't trade him there. Then Boston acquired him and did?

Is there a team Boston wouldn't trade Ullmark too but a third team would?

Its been done before.
Hey Dom, I missed the livestream yesterday, but appreciate the livestreams you and Chris do.

Question regarding Ullmark, in this scenario, if he waives his M-NTC for the 1st move, what happens to his M-NTC? Would it still be intact if he were traded again?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Looks like Saros is about to be taken off the trade market. Where does that leave Ullmark and the Devils? Does Ullmark + Geekie get the Bruins closer to the #10 overall pick for NJ?

It's Barry Trotz. He's no fool, he's posturing.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Remember when SJ wanted Martin Jones and LA wouldn't trade him there. Then Boston acquired him and did?

Is there a team Boston wouldn't trade Ullmark too but a third team would?

Its been done before.
A certain forward heaaaavvvvvyyy team keeps popping in and out of my mind. But just can't nail down exactly who that is. I'll think it over a bit.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ullmark and NJ makes all the sense in the world

He has shown he can bring another goalie along assuming that goalie is open minded and a good guy

Bruins would be beefing up a team that was outside looking in a drawback

Unless the Bruins add at least 2 UFA F are legit top 6 (DeBrusk would count as one) they are probably on the outside or certainly 7-11 mix of playoffs

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Hey Dom, I missed the livestream yesterday, but appreciate the livestreams you and Chris do.

Question regarding Ullmark, in this scenario, if he waives his M-NTC for the 1st move, what happens to his M-NTC? Would it still be intact if he were traded again?
It follows him.

Here's where the confusion is:

Ullmark only has to waive for teams on his list. The Bruins have his list. He does not have to waive for teams not on it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like both players but Geekie is a better choice to retain if the Bruins choose only one of them. Among all the recent additions Geekie is one of the best.

He's sneakily one of the best body checkers on the team, he can really nail someone when he wants to. I noticed about a 1/3 into the season, he was hitting a lot more, almost like someone got into his ear to remind him he's a big boy and can afford to be more physical.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He's sneakily one of the best body checkers on the team, he can really nail someone when he wants to. I noticed about a 1/3 into the season, he was hitting a lot more, almost like someone got into his ear to remind him he's a big boy and can afford to be more physical.
Live by ice was impressive how hard he hit guys and often

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"The last time the Bruins had cap space in free agency, Don Sweeney allocated $14M to:

▪️ Nick Foligno
▪️ Erik Haula
▪️ Tomas Nosek
▪️ Derek Forbort
▪️ Mike Reilly"

Remember to eat a little bit before reading the menu. Think carefully Don.

I like how you left Linus Ullmark off that list who was arguably the best player signed by anyone in FA 2021

haula came in and did his job and they flipped him for an even better player
Foligno was terrible his first year, but did his job the second
Nodek did his job for 2 years.
Forbert was fine for his time there, played really well at times, and less so at others
Reilly was a miss, and got caught in the cap crunch in the 22/23 season

But in the end there was very little available in 21, and they desperately needed 2 starting D-men

2021 went long way to helping build the best regular season team in league history, which unfortunately fell apart because of a series of critical injuries in the postseason

I would be disappointed if that was their 24 summer offseason, because their needs are much more top line talent, and there is some top 6 talent available.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Are you serious about this take? The third pairing last year was a huge factor in losing the series to the Panthers and they surely wouldn´t have been better than every D group in this years playoffs.

McAvoy, Lindholm, Orlov, Carlo was an insane top 4.

Clifton is a solid D that went out and got 4m AAV right after. Clifton had a horrendous game 6. No one was screaming for a Clifton upgrade at the time.

Forbort was even, although that was mostly based on luck. Gryz was a -1.

Orlov/McAvoy pairing was the one that really struggled. Perhaps because they hadn't actually played together in the regular season. That was on the coach.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I'm divided on last year. I totally give him credit for going all in. Loved the Orlov pickup. But when they tanked in the POs, everyone said it was on the players and coach, not Sweeney.
Well, guess who hired the coach and most of the players?

Ultimately, that's my bottom line as well.

A coach is responsible for coaching. Players are responsible for their play.

The only guy responsible for all of it is the General Manager. "The buck stops here," as Truman noted.

The team reflects the manager's values, strengths, shortcomings and blind spots.

It's all there if you look for it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
"You mean like Sweeney giving up almost two full drafts for 30 games of Bertuzzi, orlov and Hathaway and having nothing to show for it/none of them on the roster anymore?"

Again, that's where we started...your words...and I simply said those aren't even comparable. Why we're now discussing Hall or Sweeneys asset management in a year span, I don't know, but it doesn't change how horrendous Jeannot trade was from day 1 and how getting those 3 assets for a cup run and it not working out isn't really the same as making a massive overpayment from day 1 and it predictably backfiring.

BTW, I don't want Bertuzzi back.

His, or his rep's handling of resigning in Boston left the impression that $$$ is what matters most. Also, he is terrible defensively.

I don't want to hear any spin about how he loves Boston and really, really wants to be a Bruin, either.

No thanks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ultimately, that's my bottom line as well.

A coach is responsible for coaching. Players are responsible for their play.

The only guy responsible for all of it is the General Manager. "The buck stops here," as Truman noted.

The team reflects the manager's values, strengths, shortcomings and blind spots.

It's all there if you look for it.

GM is not responsible for all of it. Just a cheap way to advance the agenda.

He's responsible for putting the roster together.

Put together a roster that had the greatest regular season ever.

Then added 3 hard-nosed players for the playoffs.

Coach made decisions that turned out bad. Players had 3 games to finish off the Panthers. They failed.

But the blame where it belongs.

I'm not sure I would pay him that.

In the event, I can almost guarantee Sweeney will never "sign a Liam O'Brian type."

Demonstrably, he prefers wimps.

Like Lucic.

Or Maroon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad